• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

bought a diamondback recoil...
and for cardio - quick 8-10 mile street rides, i would prefer a stiffer ride... and when i start riding trails, then i would want the capabilities of adjusting the rear...

you'll need to find a replacement for a 'Tuff Shock Coil (190x51mm)' if your bike is a 2012...

PS - fun first bike ya picked up :thumbup

EDIT: a new fox rp23 (7.5X2.0) will run around $400 (w/ Propedal)...and a Rock Shox Monarch will run around $350. They aren't the exact size of your current R shock but the geo change should be negligible...

DOUBLE CHECK with the manufacturer/bike shop/smart friend to see if those are compatible...

someone here will correct me if I'm wrong :p

Last edited:
you'll need to find a replacement for a 'Tuff Shock Coil (190x51mm)' if your bike is a 2012...

PS - fun first bike ya picked up :thumbup

Kind of a rare size, "(190x51mm)"
Could that just be replaced by a 200x50 which is a relatively common size??

Kind of a rare size, "(190x51mm)"
Could that just be replaced by a 200x50 which is a relatively common size??

just the specs i gleaned off the Mfg's site...

and yah - a 200X50 should work....but I am not a suspenshun dude like y'all are...

IMO it's not really worth upgrading - the bike is spec'd well for it's pricepoint and is a relatively bulletproof first rig...

the OP would benefit most from riding it into the ground as-is (again, my opinion) and figuring out what he really wants after a season...

But alas - convincing a noob that upgrading entry level is a waste is akin to training a cat to fetch...

it can be done, but not the norm....:)

well... coming from a road bike to a fs mtn bike is a pretty big difference... so, i would want a stiffer rear if i'm just pedaling around the neighborhood...
and i'm still researching if its even worth upgrading, moneywise...

IMO it's not really worth upgrading

I generally agree with that, ..... but sometimes as long as you're not going overboard, it's cheaper to replace a part or two than it is buy a whole different bike for a different purpose. He's not dumping a ton of money into it to make it a better mtn bike, ...that would be worthless. However, having a bike that doesn't go bouncy bouncy down the road to try and get a little cardio on the road might be worth spending $125 - 175 as opposed to spending significantly more on a road worthy bike

Last edited:
well... coming from a road bike to a fs mtn bike is a pretty big difference... so, i would want a stiffer rear if i'm just pedaling around the neighborhood...
and i'm still researching if its even worth upgrading, moneywise...

yes - they are mucho different :thumbup

I generally agree with that, ..... but sometimes as long as you're not going overboard, it's cheaper to replace a part or two than it is buy a whole different bike for a different purpose. He's not dumping a ton of money into it to make it a better mtn bike, ...that would be worthless. However, having a bike that doesn't go bouncy bouncy down the road to try and get a little cardio on the road might be worth spending $125 - 175 as opposed to spending significantly more on a road worth bike

hard to argue...

OP - harpo generally has a very good bead on parts :thumbup

I generally agree with that, ..... but sometimes as long as you're not going overboard, it's cheaper to replace a part or two than it is buy a whole different bike for a different purpose. He's not dumping a ton of money into it to make it a better mtn bike, ...that would be worthless. However, having a bike that doesn't go bouncy bouncy down the road to try and get a little cardio on the road might be worth spending $125 - 175 as opposed to spending significantly more on a road worthy bike

:thumbup

YES, im not trying to go overboard with the mods.. just simple (maybe/hopefully even cheaper) mods that would make a difference...

:thumbup

YES, im not trying to go overboard with the mods.. just simple (maybe/hopefully even cheaper) mods that would make a difference...

look for used rear shock and you may find a steal of a deal :cool...

but a better question is....why not ride the bike on trails from the get go?

any real reason why you want to ride a MTB on the road (besides getting to a trailhead)?

because the tires are gonna be a bigger hindrance over a shock that doesn't lock...

look for used rear shock and you may find a steal of a deal :cool...

but a better question is....why not ride the bike on trails from the get go?

any real reason why you want to ride a MTB on the road (besides getting to a trailhead)?

because the tires are gonna be a bigger hindrance over a shock that doesn't lock...

Just bought it for exercise purposes -- quick cardio - 5-10 mile rides or ride to a basketball court 3 miles away... for longer rides, 30-50-100 mile rides, i'll take my road bike...

Just bought it for exercise purposes -- quick cardio - 5-10 mile rides or ride to a basketball court 3 miles away... for longer rides, 30-50-100 mile rides, i'll take my road bike...

:wtf

you clearly are a cat who does not fetch....

:laughing

I'm out!!! Signing off, ............

Rear Hub NEEDED

Hey Y'all, I need a cheap rear mtn. bike hub. Must be 32 hole and must be 6 bolt disk brake compatible, ....... OH, and must be cheap :teeth

Anyone???

Go see it in person with cash, nobody likes a CL email or call about " how cheap can I get it".
:thumbup good luck haggling

Hi-End Wheelsets for sale

Hey Barfers, I have 4 extremely nice wheelsets for sale that I'll give you guys a bit of a break on before I list them on CL and Ebay.

Sorry, no pix yet but they are all in SUPURB condition.
No dents, no large scuffs, no woops, etc. All Bearings tight and smooth.
The listed prices below are ABSOLUTELY NOT NEGOTIABLE!!

1) 2009 Crossmax XL, tubeless valve stems installed --------------------$275
2) 2009 Crossmax ST, tubeless valve stems installed --------------------$275
3) Chris King QR/QR Hubs, (red) DT Swiss 5.1d, DT Comp Spokes-----------$300
4) Chris King 20mm/QR Hubs, (black) Mavic 717, DT Comp Spokes-------$300

The only thing worth noting is that the Mavic 717 stickers have been removed, ...and
the Chris King hubs do not have skewers.

Last edited:
Who's going to sea otter; racing, drinking, heckling, all of the above?

I'm going....to get mah N* season pass again..check out some of the new stuff I can't buy.. maybe watch some DS n DH..get sun/wind burned..:teeth

The Jump Jam at the Post Office today was pretty sweet:thumbup

Back