• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Hey Barfers, I have 4 extremely nice wheelsets for sale that I'll give you guys a bit of a break on before I list them on CL and Ebay.

Sorry, no pix yet but they are all in SUPURB condition.
No dents, no large scuffs, no woops, etc. All Bearings tight and smooth.
The listed prices below are ABSOLUTELY NOT NEGOTIABLE!!

1) 2009 Crossmax XL, tubeless valve stems installed --------------------$275
2) 2009 Crossmax ST, tubeless valve stems installed --------------------$275

ITS-4 hubs on dem mavics? I'm pretty sure the SX is but unsure about the XL. Colors?

Last edited:
ITS-4 hubs on dem mavics? I'm pretty sure the SX is but unsure about the XL. Colors?
I don't think the ITS-4 came out until 2010, maybe 2011. The XL definitely doesn't have it; the discontinued that model before the ITS-4 came out. 2nd gen SX's have ITS-4; they're the ones with lots of white graphics mixed in with the grey; 1st gen were just all grey with very little graphics.

STs? Again, pretty sure second gen only and I'm not sure how to tell the diff since I've never had any of those.

I do have some of the new DeeMax's with ITS-4 and I have to say it works very well. I haven't had any trouble with them in almost two seasons. Time will tell.

They are NOT SX, They are ST. I have (AS STATED, 1 pair of XL and 1 pair of ST)

Both Wheelsets are completely black with white lettering and very small amounts of yellow and red.

I don't think the ITS-4 came out until 2010, maybe 2011. The XL definitely doesn't have it; the discontinued that model before the ITS-4 came out. 2nd gen SX's have ITS-4; they're the ones with lots of white graphics mixed in with the grey; 1st gen were just all grey with very little graphics.

STs? Again, pretty sure second gen only and I'm not sure how to tell the diff since I've never had any of those.

I do have some of the new DeeMax's with ITS-4 and I have to say it works very well. I haven't had any trouble with them in almost two seasons. Time will tell.

They are NOT SX, They are ST. I have (AS STATED, 1 pair of XL and 1 pair of ST)

Both Wheelsets are completely black with white lettering and very small amounts of yellow and red.

:laughing I think the 2009 SX is ITS4 , was not sure about the XL. The STs tremble in my presence. :party

:laughing I think the 2009 SX is ITS4 , was not sure about the XL. The STs tremble in my presence. :party

SH!# I tremble every time I look in the mirror. Hell, for that matter I tremble every time I try to stand or walk in an upright position. :(

Just picked up a new ride! Cant wait to get some time and try and ride with you guys!

Attachments

• 5K25Fe5H43M13Jd3o6c44881cda0f57471184.jpg
    5K25Fe5H43M13Jd3o6c44881cda0f57471184.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 51
hey fawndog, when ya'll cruising down to the otter? Ya'll camping? Just trying to swing a ride down some time before sunday so i can get some practice in.

eff that , ancient crap geometry , shit brakes , and tired drivetrain.

$600 bucks would get you a newish stumpy these days.

Anyone ever ride a Jekyll 5, a 2011??? Probably going to buy one tomorrow, it seems to have the 'all mountain" capabilities I am looking for, but I am just getting back into mtb'ing so any feedback would be nice....unless the feedback is that the Jekyll is a POS....cause I'm most likely getting it anyways...hahahaha.

Anyone ride a new Jekyll with that DYAD rear shock???

Thanks in advance for any input.

Anyone ever ride a Jekyll 5, a 2011??? Probably going to buy one tomorrow, it seems to have the 'all mountain" capabilities I am looking for, but I am just getting back into mtb'ing so any feedback would be nice....unless the feedback is that the Jekyll is a POS....cause I'm most likely getting it anyways...hahahaha.

Whats it gonna cost you? I would seriously consider checking out the 2012 Stumpjumper FSR over the Cannonfail. It will probably cost you less for a better parts set.

Last edited:
hey fawndog, when ya'll cruising down to the otter? Ya'll camping? Just trying to swing a ride down some time before sunday so i can get some practice in.

Shit I'm workin till Fri. Rox is going to PA next week so she's not racing it. We really dropped the ball on it :idunno

Whats it gonna cost you? I would seriously consider checking out the 2012 Stumpjumper FSR over the Cannonfail. It will probably cost you less for a better parts set.

The Jekyll will cost me about a grand less than a Stumpy FSR Comp....actually I am paying a little less than a Camber Comp would cost me.... I was looking at the stumpy's first, I have a friend that owns a Specialized shop so I can get pretty decent deals on em....and the Jekyll will still cost over $500 less.

Are there any specific details you can give me on the Jekyll...ever ridden one? Care to elaborate on Cannonfail....have you had problems or are you just pushing me towards the bike you like/own...:teeth? :twofinger

A local friend of mine that is a pretty solid all mountain rider just got one and he loves it, he just thinks it's not quite perfect without a Talas/Lyric 160. But he really does like the bike and I would definitely take his word on it.
My 2 cents

The Jekyll will cost me about a grand less than a Stumpy FSR Comp....actually I am paying a little less than a Camber Comp would cost me.... I was looking at the stumpy's first, I have a friend that owns a Specialized shop so I can get pretty decent deals on em....and the Jekyll will still cost over $500 less.

Are there any specific details you can give me on the Jekyll...ever ridden one? Care to elaborate on Cannonfail....have you had problems or are you just pushing me towards the bike you like/own...:teeth? :twofinger

Are you buying a used bike? I looked at the prices on both the '11 Jekyll 5 and the 11' Stumpy FSR comp. The Stumpy is about $200 and has some nicer parts. I'm pretty sure you can shave more weight from the Stumpy in the end. Additionally FSR > Single pivot especially on the way down. Specialized has had their bikes pretty much dialed for a few years. Thats why you see everyone riding them.

Are you buying a used bike? I looked at the prices on both the '11 Jekyll 5 and the 11' Stumpy FSR comp. The Stumpy is about $200 and has some nicer parts. I'm pretty sure you can shave more weight from the Stumpy in the end. Additionally FSR > Single pivot especially on the way down. Specialized has had their bikes pretty much dialed for a few years. Thats why you see everyone riding them.

I disagree, I started out a true believer in Stumpy's but as the years grew on and I had the ability to own and test numerous brands at once the Stumpy always fell just a little bit short.

Teddy, is the Jeckyl you're looking at the one that has the 2-stage rear Fox shock. That's the one my buddy has and he loves it. I don't know about the other verersions of the bike so if it's not that model, disregard my opinion, ....except the part where I said there are (and have always been) better bikes than the Stumpy. Oh, I I'm really not a fan anymore of "Specialized" the company. They cost a lot of people a lot of time, money and frustration with their own proprietary suspension (WHICH ALWAYS WENT BAD) and then the forced a lot of local bike shops either out of business or forced them to drop Specialized and try and make a living selling other bike brands. So, not a fan of the politics and I'm still sure that there are better bikes for the money. (which isn't saying the Stumpy is a bad bike)
There, that was more than 2 cents. I want some change back :twofinger

The bike is a new 2011 & it is the DYAD rear shock set up. It is on sale for less than $1800. I just got a call the shop got it out of the box and basically set up for my size/weight, so I am going to give it the final once over, get the final adjustments made and bring her home if she feels right.

Proprietary suspension? were talking Cannondale here, find me a manufacturer with more proprietary bits than them :laughing Also Specialized has always been know to have some of the best support and warranty in the business. (maybe second to Turner?)

Either way, diff strokes for diff folks. I say ride both bikes , then buy. For the amount of money involved i'm pretty much not willing to make any exceptions anymore. :x I'm not saying jump on the bandwagon just because everyone else is but take into consideration the staggering difference in numbers of riders on each specific bike.

Also fwiw , I have an IBIS not a Stumpy.

Last edited:
Back