• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Rode it around the parking lot...hard to really know, but it felt good. The small is, well, small, but I am not a big guy and think it will be the best size bike for me once I get used to it. The only slight dissapointment is how cheap the truative fire crank is, but I knew that going in so I can't really be upset. I think I will like it.....but I haven't ever owned a full suspension bike, so with nothing to compare it to I'm pretty sure I'll be happy. Just around the parking lot you could really notice a difference between the "elevate" and "flow" suspension modes.

...all things being equal, I would have bought a Stumpy FSR, but for almost a grand less, I am happy with my purchase.:thumbup Now I just have to learn where the good places to ride are....hint, hint.

The components are almost always upgradeable. I always buy based on the platform.

The components are almost always upgradeable. I always buy based on the platform.

Can't buy based on platform until you've been riding long enough to understand all the differences and/or know what platform suits you the best.
So there :twofinger

Last edited:
Can't buy based on platform until you've been riding long enough to understand all the differences an/or know what platform suits you the best.

Even then, 7/10 of folks out there still don't know what's what. Just like moto's, it's all about the rider and their form. Having a 10k bike won't let you have more fun than you can let yourself, same for speed faster.:2cents

Can't buy based on platform until you've been riding long enough to understand all the differences and/or know what platform suits you the best.

I guess I'll have to clarify. :rolleyes dumass

I buy based on a solid frame, everything else can be tailored to style, budget, and weight.

eg. I bought Mikes 08 Enduro SL, the proprietary fork and front wheel were ditched within a week or two. I didn't want to wait for the fork to fail and fitting the bike to my size was easier with a conventional stem.

I guess I'll have to clarify. :rolleyes dumass

I buy based on a solid frame, everything else can be tailored to style, budget, and weight.

eg. I bought Mikes 08 Enduro SL, the proprietary fork and front wheel were ditched within a week or two. I didn't want to wait for the fork to fail and fitting the bike to my size was easier with a conventional stem.
Do you feel better now, ....dumass???? :hail :twofinger :twofinger

Harpo and I have Dirt Jumpers for sale.

And dirt jumping/pump tack riding pays off exponentially
with mountain bike riding ability.

Pump track with me today, go faster on the trail tomorrow. Guaranteed.

And dirt jumping/pump tack riding pays off exponentially
with mountain bike riding ability.

Pump track with me today, go faster on the trail tomorrow. Guaranteed.

Meh. Use to DJ a lot. Didnt get any faster.

Moto helped more actually. Made me realize that I was not looking far enough down the trail... Just 5-10 feet in front of the front tire.

To each his own.

Meh. Use to DJ a lot. Didnt get any faster.

Moto helped more actually. Made me realize that I was not looking far enough down the trail... Just 5-10 feet in front of the front tire.

To each his own.
Agreed, Not saying that DJ doesn't help but I can pretty much associate any dh skills (an aggressive riding skills) I have with 10+ years of MX

Agreed, Not saying that DJ doesn't help but I can pretty much associate any dh skills (an aggressive riding skills) I have with 10+ years of MX

Dirt biking ++++++++++++

though I have to say partaking in any activity that builds bike handling skills is going to make you better overall.

RIED BIEKS :ride

Last edited:
Hey all, I have a quick question if you don't mind. Looks like there is a lot of knowledge in here and I have very little.

I keep having problems with my rims and tires on my MTB. I don't ride much dirt but a lot of sidewalks/stairs and stuff. The problem is I'm 230lbs and it tends to brake things.

I have a set of Mavic SUP 26" rims that I broke the rear on and need a replacement. I know very little about brands and strengths but I think I need something else. If anyone could direct me in a way to go to find a replacement it would be appreciated. I can rebuild the wheel I just don't know what rim to get. I don't want to quit playing and only have about 5 more pounds that I can get rid of.

Dirt biking ++++++++++++

though I have to say partaking in any activity that builds bike handling skills is going to make you better overall.

RIED BIEKS :ride
Agree to that as well +++++

Being on a bike, .... will make you a better biker PERIOD

Although I will say that slicing through single-tracks/trail that is less than an inch wider than your handle bars (at it's widest point:wow) at 30+ MPH on a YZ 125 will certainly teach you to respect bike control at 150% intensity level, ........ QUICKLY!!!
SH!# like that, certainly made Downieville and Demo seem like, ....just another awesome trail :)

Hey all, I have a quick question if you don't mind. Looks like there is a lot of knowledge in here and I have very little.

I keep having problems with my rims and tires on my MTB. I don't ride much dirt but a lot of sidewalks/stairs and stuff. The problem is I'm 230lbs and it tends to brake things.

I have a set of Mavic SUP 26" rims that I broke the rear on and need a replacement. I know very little about brands and strengths but I think I need something else. If anyone could direct me in a way to go to find a replacement it would be appreciated. I can rebuild the wheel I just don't know what rim to get. I don't want to quit playing and only have about 5 more pounds that I can get rid of.
D King need to chime in. He is definitely a BIG BOY (big like, ... that is one MoFo you would not want to piss off, ...ever) Sorry, back to point. If anyone would know, He would. Also, (I have had some wheels come through my garage that definitely seem bomb proof. Even some of the cheap Sun Ringle rims. Seems to me if you laced those up with a good strong 3x pattern, heavy spokes and a decent set(old XT 756 were pretty indestructible) of hubs that you would have a pretty bullet proof set of wheels.

Also, take this into consideration. (And I have no idea so only you can answer this) are your building/lacing skills up to par. Hell, if you weigh 230, maybe they need to be better than par. A solid build will keep any wheel together longer. Maybe chat with Bikemech1 and if nothing else pick his brain. Homes can DEFINITELY build some wheels. I am almost at the point where I wouldn't trust any else to build my wheels but him or Josh at Hank & Frank but Bichmec1 does it for pleasure and not a living.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure my wheel building isn't up to par, pretty much self taught so I'm sure there is a lot that I could learn. I didn't think about it but I guess I could of caused the failure. I'm pretty anal about things like that as to bringing out the dial indicator when truing. But then I'm a motorcycle mechanic working on a bicycle.

Back