• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

I'm pretty sure my wheel building isn't up to par, pretty much self taught so I'm sure there is a lot that I could learn. I didn't think about it but I guess I could of caused the failure. I'm pretty anal about things like that as to bringing out the dial indicator when truing. But then I'm a motorcycle mechanic working on a bicycle.

Anal is great if you are anal with the "RIGHT" specs. :rofl
PM Greg (Bicmmec1) He will help you out. He will do it for you, he will show you how to do it, what ever you want, ... and he really does it out of love for everything with 2 wheels. He LOVES PLAYING IN THE SHOP. Tell him his good buddy, the ShortObnixiousNastyBadlAngryNotSoSuper-Jew sent you. He'll know who it is. (LOL as does everyone on this forum):rofl:twofinger
He will seriously be more than happy to help you out. Just ask how many other people he has helped. Can't even count'em!!!!:thumbup

And yes, you could have the strongest hoop on the planet and if your build is inferior, the wheel will FAIL.

Last edited:
PS. If your setup is QR front and QR rear, I may have a set of wheels that might just be your answer or at least a great set of back-up wheels for a seriously cheap price.

Don't remember the exact model name but the wheels are Sun Ringle. I've had had them brand new in a box NIB for over a year at the bottom of the pile so I don't remember all the specs other than, they are QR/QR, they are wide, they have super thick (at least 2.0 straight spokes), they are black rims/hubs w/silver spokes, they are seriously heavy duty and they are BRAND NEW!! Take a set of wheels like that and bring them to Greg to go through (he is waaaaaayyy more thorough than a factory build) and you have a set of absolutely BOMB-PROOF wheels.
Let me know if interested.

That's the cheap way out. I also have some BOMB-PROOF wheels that are significantly more money but it doesn't sound like you are looking for expensive wheels.
Joe

Great thanks for the info Harpo. Yeah it could of been my build it's a weird break. It broke from the inside and rim edges went out.

Yeah not looking for expensive wheels most of my money goes to the motorcycle. And about that cheap set send me a pm on what your looking for. I don't know if our definitions of cheap are the same. :) It does sound like an interesting alternative.

Great thanks for the info Harpo. Yeah it could of been my build it's a weird break. It broke from the inside and rim edges went out.

Yeah not looking for expensive wheels most of my money goes to the motorcycle. And about that cheap set send me a pm on what your looking for. I don't know if our definitions of cheap are the same. :) It does sound like an interesting alternative.

PM sent. Leaving the computer so if you want to reach me, ....call.

Anybody interested in a 9spd XO derailleur and matching XO rear shifter? Maybe ten rides on em, like new. They're the ones in the pic, other stuff is gone though.

Hundred bucks to a barfer.
SOLD
VVsjxl.jpg

Last edited:
I picked this up last weekend! I've already had crazy fun on it, but the forks seem a little soft... how easy is it to change the oil?

XpTiP.png

I picked this up last weekend! I've already had crazy fun on it, but the forks seem a little soft... how easy is it to change the oil?

XpTiP.png
I'll give that bike a BUMP. IH isn't really a great bike for anyone with a DH skillset, .... but for anyone deciding whether or not go go DHing or for DH novices, ..IH makes a great bang for the buck :thumbup

I'll give that bike a BUMP. IH isn't really a great bike for anyone with a DH skillset, .... but for anyone deciding whether or not go go DHing or for DH novices, ..IH makes a great bang for the buck :thumbup

That's fine, I'm quite the novice! I've tooled around on many mountain bikes, but none as nice as this. I was looking at new Dawes and others on BikesDirect, but the reviews kept coming back to how cheaply made they were.

I paid $460... reasonable?

Last edited:
Not to discourage you, but not many people change the oil weight in MTB forks. "Soft" usually means you need to change the spring. Of course it's not unheard of to change the oil if you don't like the damping characteristics, especially if you don't have damping adjustments on the fork.

I'm finally getting into it... been busy with so much other stuff.

Here's the new whip I picked up.

2011 Trek Ex Fuel 8
attachment.php

Mostly stock. Bonk applied, that's about it

Attachments

• Trek.jpg
    Trek.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 315
Not to discourage you, but not many people change the oil weight in MTB forks. "Soft" usually means you need to change the spring. Of course it's not unheard of to change the oil if you don't like the damping characteristics, especially if you don't have damping adjustments on the fork.

It does have damping adjustments for both compression and rebound, but they don't seem to do anything...

Back