• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Oh Wolf- get an 18" frame if you wanna do any good mtn biking on it. 20+" frames aren't as nimble, even if you fit somewhat comfortably on it. Aluminum is stiff but is one of the best materials to toss around on either downhill or through singletrack. Steel (Chromoly) is good for the urban jungle or as a cheapy thrashing bike as you can bend parts back if you need to.

DVS DEA said:
Me and my buddy are gonna hit it up in the morning, not sure what time, it depends on what time he can get of :).... but if you decided to ride there and see 2 asians who are huffing and buffing say sup ;)

Make sure and hit either Chapparal or Cinderella - those are the most fun trails in the park!

Hyperlite said:
OOOh fun :-D. I've been meaning to meet up with that guy that crashes a lot but calling him mrcrash kinda scares me.

Hey, I gave up crashing when I gave up racing.

*knock on wood*

[/B]For the southern peeps, check out Soquel Demonstration Forest (Aptos), Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz or Corte Madera (Hwy 35 by Alices, mosquito warning use protection ;)).[/B]

I've been talking to a few newer riders about doing some trails - the longer climbs at El Corte de Madera (ECdM) or Soquel might be a bit demoralizing![/B]/

I tried putting a little web page together ages ago with links to various parks out there and it does still need tons of updating but since I've got it, feel free to check it out. There are links to maps and stuff for some of the parks out in the South Bay.

What's the URL?

Anyone down for checking out Wilder Ranch Sunday the 1st?
http://www.ogrehut.net/trails.php/Bay-South/Wilder
Meet time would be 9am at the main parking lot by the water fountains (free parking available on hwy 1)
PM me if you're interested, I haven't finalized plans yet and if I'm not expecting you, don't expect me :-D

Ah, I have a couple of trackdays down at Willow Springs that weekend. Have fun!

WW- Put me on the list. I'm a newbie and been MTB'ng almost everyday afterwork - (missed you guys at CH last wednesday)

I just told crash im in for Sunday..

How long is the trail?

MassiveAttack said:
WW- Put me on the list. I'm a newbie and been MTB'ng almost everyday afterwork - (missed you guys at CH last wednesday)

I just told crash im in for Sunday..

How long is the trail?

See you tomorrow! :)

The loop is only about 12 miles. You'll have fun!

Hyperlite said:
OOOh fun :-D. I've been meaning to meet up with that guy that crashes a lot but calling him mrcrash kinda scares me. I'll try and keep an eye out on the threads, I'm slowly but surely getting back into primo riding shape- I'm hoping to try my luck at a couple of races next summer.

For the southern peeps, check out Soquel Demonstration Forest (Aptos), Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz or Corte Madera (Hwy 35 by Alices, mosquito warning use protection ;)).

I tried putting a little web page together ages ago with links to various parks out there and it does still need tons of updating but since I've got it, feel free to check it out. There are links to maps and stuff for some of the parks out in the South Bay.
<edit>oops, here you go: http://www.geocities.com/at313/Outdoors/mtn_bike.html</edit>

Anyone down for checking out Wilder Ranch Sunday the 1st?

http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/Video/videos/WilderFeb04.mpg
http://www.ogrehut.net/trails.php/Bay-South/Wilder
Meet time would be 9am at the main parking lot by the water fountains (free parking available on hwy 1)
PM me if you're interested, I haven't finalized plans yet and if I'm not expecting you, don't expect me :-D

Nice site! Your videos are great for people who never been to the trails. Wilder Ranch looks like a very fun ride.

Curious

So what do all of you guys ride?
my dirty hardrock

1177666-mtb_004.jpg

an OLDddd... Trek Y- Bike lotsa trick-bits for when I used to be fast on two wheels :teeth
y22.jpg

Is that a carbon frame?

Dragon said:
an OLDddd... Trek Y- Bike lotsa trick-bits for when I used to be fast on two wheels :teeth
y22.jpg

yep- all C/F My other OCLV bike looks like this:

trek52002.JPG

List of bikes:

Trek 5200
Trek Y bike
GT Zaskar LE Team

Best road to ride on a bike: Mines
Best place to ride D/H: Downieville

Downieville would be a GREAT place for a BARF roadtrip... :teeth

Why back to a hardtail?

better for climbing, now that im not in the shape i used to be in full susp. makes them up hills harder. i like to ride cross crounty and single track anyway.

jroymcd said:
better for climbing, now that im not in the shape i used to be in full susp. makes them up hills harder. i like to ride cross crounty and single track anyway.

How about a rear shock upgrade with a lock out? best of both worlds :teeth

I couldn't pry my brother's Santa Cruz away from him!

I'm fat and old- the next bike I get will have that stupid term "free-ride" somewhere on it :laughing

bike has a rear lock out does not work that well, its set up for free ride so its a long travel front fork. dont want to dump any more money into it just ride it or get a hardtail . if i was to sell it there some sweet bikes i could get with the money. i put almost $3000 into that damm bike. its a few years old and i would be lucky to get $1000 for it.

jroymcd said:
bike has a rear lock out does not work that well, its set up for free ride so its a long travel front fork. dont want to dump any more money into it just ride it or get a hardtail . if i was to sell it there some sweet bikes i could get with the money. i put almost $3000 into that damm bike. its a few years old and i would be lucky to get $1000 for it.

investing in bicycles is almost as bad a sportbikes- ya know, at least you don't have to buy leathers :laughing

Dragon said:
investing in bicycles is almost as bad a sportbikes- ya know, at least you don't have to buy leathers :laughing

way worse. on sportbikes i mostly break even. buy em cheap clean em up ride for a few months and sell it for what i put into them. mountain bikes i buy new, pay way too much for them and end up loosing 75%.

We had a great ride today!

I met up with Teapotter (Terrence), MrCrash (Mike), and Chainlash (Devin) today at China Camp. Terrence and Mike were much stronger climbers with Devin following closely behind and me "sweeping" ;) (I really just wanted to check out everyones ass! :teeth).

We decided to make the climb all the way to the top today after much coaxing from Teapotter and MrCrash. It was a pretty tough climb on the last leg (at least to some of us :)) but we eventually made it to the top.

The reward was the fun rolling downhill single track. Teapotter and MrCrash took a couple of more technical sections while Chainlash and I stuck to the less technical sections. I'm glad I had Devin there to ride with, otherwise those guys would have left me in the dust!

Great ride today...can't wait to do it again.

Teapotter (Terrence), MrCrash907 (Mike), Chainlash (Devin) and WickedWahine (Christy)

1178108-chinacamp.jpg

Back