• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

I am on Kauai, riding every day. Today's ride was short, because I went surfing too.
Photo essay atempting to be as good as that of WoodsChick will follow.
It is fucking awesome.

I feel the need to post this somewhere and this seems like as good a place as any....

if you mountain bike you really need to watch this video...

link

sorry I couldn't embed it.

Attachments

• screen_cap.jpg
    screen_cap.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 63
I haven't ridden a mountain bike since I was home in August.
Rode for 30 mins and my back hurt :(

Sold my Evil and all its parts...

Poor Grant -- surgery for the back?

I haven't ridden my Nomad since Labor Day ..

My V10 hasn't been ridden since North Carolina, July of 2012! :(

May have to take the bike out for a ride this weekend..

Anyone riding a 1x11 setup? I just grabbed a xx1 setup for my Superfly. Pretty pumped to ditch the front derailleur and eliminate chain slap at the same time.

p4pb8342807.jpg

Hi all,

New to the mountain bike world. In the moto world I've have an xr250l, klr600, and now a VTR 1000F, and a broke CR250R (thus getting into downhill mountain biking). I just picked up a Dirtworks piranha, it has older Boxxer race forks (coil type) and a fox vanilla R shock. Its in the shop right now for a tune up. Any recommendations or advice is always welcome. I am not very verse in bicycles having raced BMX about 5 years ago and only using motors now I know I'm into the unknown.

Well, thats all, Thanks KCCO!

Anyone riding a 1x11 setup? I just grabbed a xx1 setup for my Superfly. Pretty pumped to ditch the front derailleur and eliminate chain slap at the same time.

p4pb8342807.jpg

Built up a Yeti SB95C with full XO1... Should have it in soon. Anxious to see how the 1x11 setup will work for me.

x11 is pretty awesome. Nothing bad about it all really. I hear the derailleur has some warranty issues for some people. Other than the price its a solid setup. You'll still get some chain slap when in the small cog out back, even with the clutch derailleur the chain will bounce up and slap the stay. Prob much, much quieter than a triple tho.

Built up a Yeti SB95C with full XO1... Should have it in soon. Anxious to see how the 1x11 setup will work for me.

Sweet, let me know how it rides.... I won't be back in the states for another month, so I won't know until then.

x11 is pretty awesome. Nothing bad about it all really. I hear the derailleur has some warranty issues for some people. Other than the price its a solid setup. You'll still get some chain slap when in the small cog out back, even with the clutch derailleur the chain will bounce up and slap the stay. Prob much, much quieter than a triple tho.

Yea, I got my stuff at cost, so the price wasn't as big of an issue. I don't mind a bit of slap. I'm running a 2x10 x0 drivetrain without a clutch rear derailleur. I get insane amounts of slap on my hardtail, and almost always drop the chain on rocky downhills.

Im thinking about selling my 2013 Specialized hardrock sport disc.. I bought it brand new at Mikes Bikes this March and now wanting to upgrade to a Specialized EVO carbon. Any thoughts on how much I can sell it for? or maybe just keep it ? I was thinking maybe asking $400 obo. It's in good condition used to troll around LC atleast once a week.

I went for the first ride on my new (to me) bike today... reminded me of why I ride dirtbikes with engines:)

There was so much clay that my tires wouldn't roll, then the derailleur got caught up in a huge mud chunk, jammed into the wheel and found a new home. Hiking 2.5mi with a bike that wouldn't roll was not fun. It was a good workout though, and that's why I bought the stupid thing...

To add insult to injury, I stopped by a bike shop on my way home to buy a new hanger and not only did they charge me an obscene amount, they insulted me by asking if I bought a "craigslist special" bike. Silly me, but I thought the only thing a store has to offer anymore is customer service and convenience- insulting someone with a broken new toy and a spending problem is not how to win a customer... maybe I was just hungry, cold and muddy:rant

Can't wait to ride again!

Attachments

• doh.jpg
    doh.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 75
Cool story bro!
I won't ride in the mud; it destroys the drivetrain, and can make you walk.
Get a two stroke for moist wonderful conditions...

Cool story bro!
I won't ride in the mud; it destroys the drivetrain, and can make you walk.
Get a two stroke for moist wonderful conditions...

Yeah, yeah, I know...

I felt like a kid again, I haven't ridden in the rain in a long time and was super excited to ride. Didn't realize the soil was so different here than where I grew up.

I have a smoker, that is why i need to get in shape. It's powerband must be wound too tight, it keeps flipping me off the back:teeth

XX1 is nice. 32 front is good for most hills. Around Briones I wish I had a 30. Make sure your rear derailleur hanger is perfectly straight. I mean perfect! Otherwise it will never shift right at the ends of the range. 6 months and no dropped chains.
Blur XC carbon

I went for the first ride on my new (to me) bike today... reminded me of why I ride dirtbikes with engines:)

There was so much clay that my tires wouldn't roll, then the derailleur got caught up in a huge mud chunk, jammed into the wheel and found a new home. Hiking 2.5mi with a bike that wouldn't roll was not fun. It was a good workout though, and that's why I bought the stupid thing...

To add insult to injury, I stopped by a bike shop on my way home to buy a new hanger and not only did they charge me an obscene amount, they insulted me by asking if I bought a "craigslist special" bike. Silly me, but I thought the only thing a store has to offer anymore is customer service and convenience- insulting someone with a broken new toy and a spending problem is not how to win a customer... maybe I was just hungry, cold and muddy:rant

Can't wait to ride again!

Nice bike. I love riding in the wet/mud. Just get tires that shed the muck better. Also, try Crank Bros Eggbeater pedals... best pedals for riding in that messy stuff. You LBS sounds like a bunch of arrogant snots... find another place to take your business.

Have fun!

Poor Grant -- surgery for the back?

I haven't ridden my Nomad since Labor Day ..

My V10 hasn't been ridden since North Carolina, July of 2012! :(

May have to take the bike out for a ride this weekend..

No surgery, just a slow slow recovery. I'll never be back to 100% but I hope I'll be able to ride this next season.

Maybe a lap at JM when I come home in a week.

We are getting old and more broke by the day. :rofl

Back