• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

OneUpComponents.jpg

http://www.bikemag.com/gear/news-single-ringin-it-gets-a-boost/

Got this and a Wolf Tooth 32 chainring to convert my XT 2X to a nice 1X10 setup on my Breezer Cloud 9 Team carbon hardtail... Relatively cheap mod. Will be fun trying this setup soon - the OneUp 42T doesn't ship until next month...

Anyone got a crank puller I can borrow? It's pressed onto a square shaft and will not budge. Already spend $50 on tools I'll never use again once I'm done swapping out all these components and don't wanna do it again so soon :p

Also, does anyone have a line on a cheap 26" rear mtb wheel, disc, that will fit a 9 speed cassette?

Anyone got a crank puller I can borrow? It's pressed onto a square shaft and will not budge. Already spend $50 on tools I'll never use again once I'm done swapping out all these components and don't wanna do it again so soon :p

Also, does anyone have a line on a cheap 26" rear mtb wheel, disc, that will fit a 9 speed cassette?

I got a puller but am in Davis. You can buy a cheap one for $10 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-94-27-228-Octalink-Crank-Puller/dp/B00165P9XQ

Pic of crank ? Is it the threaded puller you need ?

Made it out to Auburn yesterday. I felt pretty good for being off the bike for three months. Snow in the shaded spots, but overall great conditions.

Also, It was my first ride on the XX1 drivetrain, and I am totally sold on it! Totally quite, zero chainslap, amazingly smoothing shifting, and the ideal gear range. I've been riding for about 17 years now, and this is by far the biggest jump in performance/ride quality I've ever gotten from a part. I highly doubt I'll ever ride a non-single ring mountain bike again. It's seriously that good.

IMG_0392-XL.jpg

IMG_0390-XL.jpg

How big is the front ring? Do you find that you spin out when you go downhill?

Finally got to ride my new bike at Joaquin Miller. I'm in love:)

I'm running a 32t front. I really don't crank downhill much. I focus more in picking clean lines and maintaining my speed. I'm sure I will spin out a bit on long, open descents, but that's a small price to pay.

Made it out to Auburn yesterday. I felt pretty good for being off the bike for three months. Snow in the shaded spots, but overall great conditions.

Also, It was my first ride on the XX1 drivetrain, and I am totally sold on it! Totally quite, zero chainslap, amazingly smoothing shifting, and the ideal gear range. I've been riding for about 17 years now, and this is by far the biggest jump in performance/ride quality I've ever gotten from a part. I highly doubt I'll ever ride a non-single ring mountain bike again. It's seriously that good.

I've been off the saddle since early November (damn persistent cough), but managed a road ride yesterday. Unfortunately, I haven't even had a chance to take the new Yeti out yet and test the X01 setup (32F also). Hoping this weekend I get a chance...

Nice to read your positive report. I'll also be testing the new Oneup 42T tooth on my current XT 2X hardtail which will be a 1X10 in a few weeks.

Good times... :thumbup

I've been off the saddle since early November (damn persistent cough), but managed a road ride yesterday. Unfortunately, I haven't even had a chance to take the new Yeti out yet and test the X01 setup (32F also). Hoping this weekend I get a chance...

Nice to read your positive report. I'll also be testing the new Oneup 42T tooth on my current XT 2X hardtail which will be a 1X10 in a few weeks.

Good times... :thumbup

Ha, 32F is nothing! I'm from Chicago, so I'm pretty used to the cold. I also have proper gear for colder rides, which makes all the difference.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the oneup. I don't like the idea of tossing in a cog while removing one. Cassettes are designed to work as a whole, so I'm really wondering about the shift performance. Honestly, I was only in the 42t a couple times. I'm tempted to stick with a 12-36 on my other hardtail, and then find like a 28 or 30t front ring and give it a shot.

Raceface makes the narrow-wide ring in a 30t now. I have 11/34 with 30t front ring on my hardtail. Not really any issues with spinning out, I set it up figuring I would be going slower than on the fully which is 12/36 with a 34t ring.

Last edited:
Ha, 32F is nothing! I'm from Chicago, so I'm pretty used to the cold. I also have proper gear for colder rides, which makes all the difference.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the oneup. I don't like the idea of tossing in a cog while removing one. Cassettes are designed to work as a whole, so I'm really wondering about the shift performance. Honestly, I was only in the 42t a couple times. I'm tempted to stick with a 12-36 on my other hardtail, and then find like a 28 or 30t front ring and give it a shot.

32F referred to the front chainring, not the temps outside. :laughing

I'll report back on my Oneup experience soon...

32F referred to the front chainring, not the temps outside. :laughing

Haha, I thought you were using the cold weather as an excuse not to ride! I was amazed at how empty Auburn was given there was a bit of snow on the ground.

How hard is it to build a bike from a frame up? Doesn't seem that hard to source everything on the cheap and make a killer bike. Might still be cheaper to buy one already with everything on it. I know in the moto world, finding a bike with everything on it usually is a better deal than piecing one together (even with used parts).

With that said, if anyone knows of or is selling a full suspension rig (stumpy fsr, blur, etc.) for someone that's 5'11 with a 32" inseam, LMK! :D

How hard is it to build a bike from a frame up? Doesn't seem that hard to source everything on the cheap and make a killer bike. Might still be cheaper to buy one already with everything on it. I know in the moto world, finding a bike with everything on it usually is a better deal than piecing one together (even with used parts).

With that said, if anyone knows of or is selling a full suspension rig (stumpy fsr, blur, etc.) for someone that's 5'11 with a 32" inseam, LMK! :D
Best to look for bike on Craiglist or MTBR's classified section.

Assuming you have a decent standard tool set (good allen keys, wrenches, etc...), there a a few bike specific tools you'll need (bottom bracket and headset installation comes to mind first). Those are two things that you may be better off having a shop install anyway, which will cost less than buying the tools. You also will see lots of bare frames for sale with the BB and HS left installed for the same reasons.

After that, it's pretty straight forward if you're mechanically inclined. You'll have lots of questions, but the online forums (especially MTBR and PinkBike and even YouTube) are great for that. My only words of advice are to take your time. Trying monkey fisting something and you can ruin the frame.

Oh yeah... it will be waaaaaay cheaper to find a complete bike. It's ridiculous how many little bits a pieces you'll need beyond the big components. You will get nickel and dimed to death. Good Luck and post pics when you're done. :thumbup

So, I've discovered this "Strava" thing. Way too fun. As I've known since 1993, I'm super slow uphill.... 10,800' feet this month ain't gonna change that, but I'm enjoying the downhills:)

I'll be up in Joaquin Miller ~11 tomorrow. Say hello if you see me coughing up a lung!

Man it was nice yesterday. (1/1) Got to enjoy some pedals in the sunlight for once.

gJoxO7E.jpg

Back