• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Speaking of "demo", has anyone ridden the new "Flow" trail at SDF?

trying to decide if i should race up in Jackson Demo this weekend... am in no shape to do so but the riding there is fun... http://superproracing.com/dirt/mendocino-100/

I ride with a few people on the Super Pro team - they're saying great things about the course. My focus has been endurance mtb this year, and this was on my list - but I think I'm going to do Ashland / Bend that weekend :)

Who's been riding lately? I've been getting out on the trails about three times a week. I think I logged almost 10,000 feet of elevation a week ago.

Riding more and better than I ever have this year - it's been awesome :) Have already done two Downieville trips, and am looking at Oregon (Bend / Ashland) and Tahoe (Hole in the Ground + Donner Lake Rim Trail / Toads) in the next two weekends.

Last edited:
I ride with a few people on the Super Pro team - they're saying great things about the course. My focus has been endurance mtb this year, and this was on my list - but I think I'm going to do Ashland / Bend that weekend :)

Riding more and better than I ever have this year - it's been awesome :) Have already done two Downieville trips, and am looking at Oregon (Bend / Ashland) and Tahoe (Hole in the Ground + Donner Lake Rim Trail / Toads) in the next two weekends.

OK DUDE!! We're all impressed Mikey. Now cut the over achiever BS and let's just go eat a pizza and bag of Cheesey Poofs and thensome Oreos. :rofl :twofinger

OK DUDE!! We're all impressed Mikey. Now cut the over achiever BS and let's just go eat a pizza and bag of Cheesey Poofs and thensome Oreos. :rofl :twofinger

As much as I'm riding these days, I can afford some pizza / Cheesey Poofs / Oreos :) I try not to though. I'm making the effort to get out and ride some cool places - there's nothing overachiever about that!

Harpo said:

That dot is still there! Interesting how long it's been since I logged on - the bike quiver in my profile is a little different these days...

Damn it Mikey i was just busting your over acheiving balls and jealous that i can't ride yet.

And don't confuse that with me ever having the desire to ride ad much as you. I wouldn't ride that much if i was healthy AND getting paid to do it. Way to much work. Way to much time on a saddle.

Oh,and that dot just freaks you guys out.
I put it there on purpose because the forum jams everything together on the bottom of my posts and you can't tell where something ends and something else begins.
AKA- i find it much more visible pleasing with a little open negative space at the bottom.

Next topic - PIZZA! When are we going to get the gang together and go back to that place in Albany (i think it was in Albany, right?)
Think it was called Little Star or something like that.

. < BLACK DOT :twofinger

Nice, I've gotten two Downieville trips in as well! Also did a touch of riding around Portland. I'm planning a Tahoe trip as well! I've been off the bike the past few weeks since I've been traveling. Then yesterday I lost the chain on my commuter bike and stuck a burly flat pedal into my calf. Freaking 8 stitches. Doc said stay off the trails for a while so it doesn't get too dirty. Kicking myself for not just buying a narrow wide ring.

Just outside Portland
IMG_9436-2-XL.jpg

At the top of Third Divide. I actually prefer Second Divide
IMG_0525-XL.jpg

IMG_0524-3-XL.jpg

Grippy pedals are great assuming your feet stays on them.
photo1-XL.jpg

Nice, I've gotten two Downieville trips in as well! Also did a touch of riding around Portland. I'm planning a Tahoe trip as well! I've been off the bike the past few weeks since I've been traveling. Then yesterday I lost the chain on my commuter bike and stuck a burly flat pedal into my calf. Freaking 8 stitches. Doc said stay off the trails for a while so it doesn't get too dirty. Kicking myself for not just buying a narrow wide ring.

Just outside Portland
IMG_9436-2-XL.jpg

At the top of Third Divide. I actually prefer Second Divide
IMG_0525-XL.jpg

IMG_0524-3-XL.jpg

Grippy pedals are great assuming your feet stays on them.
photo1-XL.jpg

You take some great shots! Your profile says you're in Davis - is that where you are these days?

I just got back from a shop ride - it was my first attempt at putting together a group 'adventure' ride with an open invite. Not sure what your range is like - most people ended up doing a 35 mile loop with 5000 or so feet of climbing. I went on to do a little afterwards, but my legs / lungs were pretty shot. It was warm out, and I spent most of the day *trying* to keep pace with a couple of very fast riders.

We're thinking of making it a somewhat regular thing through the shop, maybe once a month. A 4-5 hour ride somewhere in the Bay Area, with a two group format (if necessary) to accommodate riders of different ability levels.

You take some great shots! Your profile says you're in Davis - is that where you are these days?

I just got back from a shop ride - it was my first attempt at putting together a group 'adventure' ride with an open invite. Not sure what your range is like - most people ended up doing a 35 mile loop with 5000 or so feet of climbing. I went on to do a little afterwards, but my legs / lungs were pretty shot. It was warm out, and I spent most of the day *trying* to keep pace with a couple of very fast riders.

We're thinking of making it a somewhat regular thing through the shop, maybe once a month. A 4-5 hour ride somewhere in the Bay Area, with a two group format (if necessary) to accommodate riders of different ability levels.

Thanks. That little Canon EOS-M is a great camera for the trails. It fits perfectly into the hip pouch of my Osprey. Yep, I'm in Davis for the next year (I think).

Shop ride sounds good. I can swing 5000 feet over 35 miles for sure. The heat gets to me as I'm kinda big and need tons of water to stay hydrated. What shop is it out of? What trails do they ride? All North Bay stuff?

You ever make it to Auburn? I ride Tamarancho and Annendel on a regular basis. Bit busy as I'm teaching summer session here at Davis, but I can still get away for half a day on the weekends.

Next topic - PIZZA! When are we going to get the gang together and go back to that place in Albany (i think it was in Albany, right?)
Think it was called Little Star or something like that.

It's a short week with a lot going on - let me check in with you after the weekend. Always game for some Little Star - it's been too long :)

Shop ride sounds good. I can swing 5000 feet over 35 miles for sure. The heat gets to me as I'm kinda big and need tons of water to stay hydrated. What shop is it out of? What trails do they ride? All North Bay stuff?

I'm riding / racing with one of the newer shops in the area, Endless Cycles in Castro Valley. Most of the guys I ride with here stay pretty local, but I try to make a day trip at least one day every weekend. Usually Marin, Woodside, or Santa Cruz.

You ever make it to Auburn? I ride Tamarancho and Annendel on a regular basis. Bit busy as I'm teaching summer session here at Davis, but I can still get away for half a day on the weekends.

I used to ride more Annadel, but it always seems a bit crowded. Great park though. Tamarancho, I usually combine with other trails on Pine Mountain, San Geronimo Ridge, and Loma Alta.

I have family in Sacramento, so Auburn is my go to spot when I'm up for the weekend. I usually park on Russell Road and do the Trifecta from there. Took my nephew down Culvert on a trail a bike - that was a hoot!

[youtube]uzsTtqGDd3Y[/youtube]

Anyone have any tips for a sub $800 entry level bike for a short rider (5'8" 30" inseam)?

I've begun a 15 mile roundtrip work commute lately a few days a week. But it's an old ill fitting road bike that I really can't afford to take off pavement...and its 80s gearing is so damn high climbing a grade is incredibly difficult.

Id like to get out more. Don't need super awesome components but stuff that can tolerate my fat ass and as it'd be mostly East Bay Regional Park trail riding/maybe one of the sierra ski resorts this summer. No super epic singletrack huge air lol.

Only ones that catch my eye are Giant Talon 4, Trek 3700, Airborne Guardian 2.0 (not shipping until August SOLD OUT...that is probably the one I should go with) and ?????

I used to ride more Annadel, but it always seems a bit crowded. Great park though. Tamarancho, I usually combine with other trails on Pine Mountain, San Geronimo Ridge, and Loma Alta.

I have family in Sacramento, so Auburn is my go to spot when I'm up for the weekend. I usually park on Russell Road and do the Trifecta from there. Took my nephew down Culvert on a trail a bike - that was a hoot!

[youtube]uzsTtqGDd3Y[/youtube]

Yea, my buddies and I make a point to get to Annendel around 6:30. We can normally get in a solid 25 miles before it starts getting crowded. It helps to park off Lawndale so that you're heading out of the park while everyone is heading in near the other end.

That video is so cool! Your nephew looks like he's having a great time!

Anyone have any tips for a sub $800 entry level bike for a short rider (5'8" 30" inseam)?

I've begun a 15 mile roundtrip work commute lately a few days a week. But it's an old ill fitting road bike that I really can't afford to take off pavement...and its 80s gearing is so damn high climbing a grade is incredibly difficult.

Id like to get out more. Don't need super awesome components but stuff that can tolerate my fat ass and as it'd be mostly East Bay Regional Park trail riding/maybe one of the sierra ski resorts this summer. No super epic singletrack huge air lol.

Only ones that catch my eye are Giant Talon 4, Trek 3700, Airborne Guardian 2.0 (not shipping until August SOLD OUT...that is probably the one I should go with) and ?????

Yea, all of those are reasonable entry-level mountain bike. They're all pretty much the same around that price point as well.

Have you looked at the Trek X-Caliber? It's in the sub 800 range, but get you some more capability than a 3700... better wheels, hydraulic disc brakes, better suspension, better everything, really. At the entry level price point spending a few hundred extra normally gets you a ton more bike.

You can also get a lot of bike by keeping an eye on craigslist. Mountain bikes depreciate like crazy. Shouldn't be hard to find a few year old $1500 bike that now sells for $700-800 used.

Thanks for insight. I do like the X-Caliber 8 from Trek. I'm on the lookout on CL and eBay. Considering giving up moto for better road bike to commute + all weather gear and mountain bike + gear.

Last edited:
Thanks for insight. I do like the X-Caliber 8 from Trek. I'm on the lookout on CL and eBay. Considering giving up moto for better road bike to commute + all weather gear and mountain bike + gear.

Be wary of anything on ebay or pinkbike (especially pinkbike). For one, shipping most bikes it around $125, unless it's a really small frame. Also, there's a lot to be said for seeing the bike in person. Feel the bearings, check spoke tension, slop in the the derrailures, are the cables clean, and a ton of other stuff. I've seen people get so shafted on ebay. Not saying you can't get a good deal, just that there's more risk when you don't lay your hands on it. Also, people put their bikes up for stupid high prices on ebay.

Be wary of anything on ebay or pinkbike (especially pinkbike). For one, shipping most bikes it around $125, unless it's a really small frame. Also, there's a lot to be said for seeing the bike in person. Feel the bearings, check spoke tension, slop in the the derrailures, are the cables clean, and a ton of other stuff. I've seen people get so shafted on ebay. Not saying you can't get a good deal, just that there's more risk when you don't lay your hands on it. Also, people put their bikes up for stupid high prices on ebay.

Im only shopping local BECAUSE of all that. :thumbup ill.probably go get hosed brand new at a LBS honestly.

Back