• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Mountain Bike?

Look for some nicely built bikes to show up here soon, moderator owned so you know he didn't have free time to ride them.

This thing rips! It's still a change coming from a hardtail, but I'm definitely getting a feel for it. Crazy the extra speed you can get on rough downhills. I guess not that surprising, but still kinda nuts after riding hardtails for like 15 years. I don't get the appeal of the dropper post, though. My new rigid post should be here on Friday.

Still getting used to being slower on the climbs. I'm currently just locking it out and heading up. On the shorter stuff I leave it in trail mode, which still climbs really well.

I'm keeping my Superfly hardtail and am going to build it back up with the XT kit from the Fuel. It'll be nice to have a hardtail for some rides.

Got a bit muddy at Auburn yesterday.
IMG_0416-XL.jpg

I don't get the appeal of the dropper post, though. My new rigid post should be here on Friday.

It's for putting your seat down so you don't mash your junk when you descend.. :party

Last edited:
It's for putting your seat down so you don't mash your junk when you descend.. :party

Ha, I get that, but I've never had a problem smashing my junk. Must not be doing it right.

Ha, I get that, but I've never had a problem smashing my junk. Must not be doing it right.

Probably not :nchantr

Personally I can barely ride around a corner with my seat up. I have 100mm droppers on both my bikes and they barely cut it for me. I need to move up to 125/150mm for that extra space. Then again I come from bmx/dirt jumping where you slam the seat to make space for tricks. If you're used to riding XC with the seat up your rear you would probably care less but I think you'd still regret it when things get hairy.

Attachments

• 533124_10151009885638099_1902916454_n.jpg
    533124_10151009885638099_1902916454_n.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Probably not :nchantr

Personally I can barely ride around a corner with my seat up. I have 100mm droppers on both my bikes and they barely cut it for me. I need to move up to 125/150mm for that extra space. Then again I come from bmx/dirt jumping where you slam the seat to make space for tricks. If you're used to riding XC with the seat up your rear you would probably care less but I think you'd still regret it when things get hairy.

Yea, 15 years of riding without a dropper makes not having seat there feel super strange. I actually use the seat a lot when standing to help toss the bike around.

I'm selling a 31.6 Reverb Stealth 125 if you're interested...

I have a standard Thomson post on my Breezer HT and a Thomson dropper on the Yeti SB95C. I hope to get some time in this weekend. It's been way too long...

Yea, 15 years of riding without a dropper makes not having seat there feel super strange. I actually use the seat a lot when standing to help toss the bike around.

I'm selling a 31.6 Reverb Stealth 125 if you're interested...

I like having a tons of space to get real low and move around. If the seat touches the inside of my thigh I get discombobulated. However, on a dirt bike I do use my legs to muscle the bike. I'd take the reverb but I would have to drill my frame since it a stealth :wow

I recently said that I didn't see the need for a 160mm trail bike in the bay area. I was wrong. After 30 miles in Demo and Nisene yesterday, it's not a want- it's a need!

I love this TRc, but I can't keep the shock from bottoming without running lots of psi, which kinda kills the feel on smaller stuff...

Oh, and the last time I was in Demo was like '95. They have done an amazing job with that place!

Down here in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico visiting my in-laws. Got out the last two days with the father-in-law to do some mountain biking. Nothing crazy in terms of climbing or descending, but it's super cool terrain and pretty fun riding through all the back country villages. The only bummer is that essentially everything wants to stab you on the trails. Managed to get a rather substantial chunk of cactus stuck in my arm at one point.

IMG_0428-XL.jpg

IMG_0422-2-XL.jpg

IMG_0420-XL.jpg

Looking for a full suspension mountain bike for my girlfriend. We tested the Trek 26" Lush (16.5") and a 29" EX (15.5") that had the bars slammed. Anyone know of anything similar available?

Who's been riding lately? I've been getting out on the trails about three times a week. I think I logged almost 10,000 feet of elevation a week ago.

Rode Skyline for the first time the other day.
Untitled_Panorama1-XL.jpg

Flow Trial
IMG_0496-3-XL.jpg

IMG_0491-XL.jpg

Found a pair of donor shoes to replace all the buckles on my Sidis. One finally broke in a crash at the Prairie City race last Wednesday
BC9A9355-XL.jpg

i keep trying to get back on a pedal bike. got two of them right here cost me over $1500 each, better than a decade back. one mt, one thin tired street.
put many a mile on both of them. even did the pacific crest trail many a time above lake tahoe. great ride getting up from lake level, and the free ride back down what a blast. :afm199

now with aurthrits, bad back and asthma. it slows me down a lot.

I went on a ride in Jackson demo forest today with a guide. Super fun, narrow single track- Not a soul out there.

Look up Mendocino Bike Sprite if you are ever up this way!

Back