• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

So - I found a gal who is selling a Giant Trinity A1 in a small-person size. I'm dubious about this carbon/aluminum hybrid frame shizz, but what do I know. Any insight from people who know about these things? The deal is good, but I want a bike that will work better in tris than my Focus Cayo carbon bike.

No idea. Were all the rage few years back, then kind of went away. Although haven't heard any major issues with them.

Anyone have a used Rival rear shifter? Cheap is good.

Doing the Solvang half century ride this weekend.

Also doing Napa's metric century ride in August. I did it last year and nearly died. Hoping with more training this year ill actually enjoy it. :p

We went on a ride with TAKS this past weekend. He's too fast for me. :p

I did get a bling-bling bike for this year's multisport from Suburbanbikes, the non-motorized division of Motostrano. South Bay Duathlon this Sunday...

2lmrqf7.jpg

Fortunately, you can get Gatorskins in 650C.

We went on a ride with TAKS this past weekend. He's too fast for me. :p

I did get a bling-bling bike for this year's multisport from Suburbanbikes, the non-motorized division of Motostrano. South Bay Duathlon this Sunday...

2lmrqf7.jpg

Fortunately, you can get Gatorskins in 650C.

Zombie Jebus, putting gatorskins on it is like putting knobbies on a super sport. :laughing

More like putting touring tires on a track bike, except I don't think he's racing crits on that. but if he's doing marathons it make sense. I like randonneurs myself. They run at a higher psi.

Anybody cyclocross?

Last edited:
Thing is, I do a lot of USAP triathlons - they do a fair number in the area, and I like the organization. But most of the roads they go on are these potholed back-roads with gravel and broken glass and plastic 'n shit. I've often seen someone with expensive rims and race tires changing a flat by the side of the road in those tris; thick tires might slow me down, but a flat would torpedo my race.

I did my first International distance duathlon on Sunday, and got third in my age group and fifth woman overall (my age group is mental). I'd like to think I'd have done better with blingy wheels and tires, but I'll get a lot more out of speeding up my run...

I'm going to try doing some time trials this year, and I'll put the swanky race tires back on for those. :)

I've done some cyclocross, and picked up a 'cross bike for commuting; I wouldn't mind doing more.

hey guys, Sea Otter Classic is coming up and I've never been. I just started getting into riding about last year and really want to go. What events are the most see's and the best spots to watch them? I've been told I can get gear there superrrr cheap as well.

Thing is, I do a lot of USAP triathlons - they do a fair number in the area, and I like the organization. But most of the roads they go on are these potholed back-roads with gravel and broken glass and plastic 'n shit. I've often seen someone with expensive rims and race tires changing a flat by the side of the road in those tris; thick tires might slow me down, but a flat would torpedo my race.

I did my first International distance duathlon on Sunday, and got third in my age group and fifth woman overall (my age group is mental). I'd like to think I'd have done better with blingy wheels and tires, but I'll get a lot more out of speeding up my run...

Congrats!
Thick tires indeed will slow you down, but lighter tires may have gotten you higher on the podium too.

I've been riding Conti GP4000s on my tri bike and they've held up well on some nasty pot holes, rough/bumpy/ashpalt, and some glass.

Michelin pro 3 was also a personal favorite. I gave up on the pro4 after flatting on a new tire.

Carry a spare tube and learn to change it quickly. Having a flat during a race shouldn't end your race if you're prepared for it.

-ak-

Just grabbed this frame. It'll make a nice touring/commuting single speed. I already took it down to the frame. Now for a few hours of sanding.

i-R7bzfSt-XL.jpg

i-L3nvc7k-XL.jpg

i-GvqBBPt-XL.jpg

i-KZHg4Px-XL.jpg

i-Hmt8BRC-XL.jpg

i-PvWmwJW-XL.jpg

Looking for a 56cm bike for around 400.

Anyone?

I have a bunch of 56cm bikes but I won't sell 'em. :p I put more miles on my bicycles now than the motorcycle.

I sold a crappy car in Santa Clara on saturday and instead of getting a ride back I just rode highway 9 back to scotts valley which is nice since I usually climb the other side of 9.

Not many motorcycles out (I think the light mist scared everyone) and all the ones out actually didn't ride like idiots (pretty much cages only showing poor driving skills) so it was a nice day overall.

Zombie Jebus, putting gatorskins on it is like putting knobbies on a super sport. :laughing

:laughing I bought a cheap used aluminum 105 bike with new gatorskins I promptly removed because I'll ride a $300 bike anywhere, but only with tires I like.

I think it's the same reason I usually put sport tires on all my motorcycles instead of sport touring ones.

Ride my mountain bike few times a week. Ride my motorcyle once a month LOL

Need another decent / cheap road bike for a few upcoming triathlons.

Back