• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

my blackberry running endomondo pro and maps, etc, works great and lasts me a couple of hours.

Android +GPS +Data = died within an hour to 2.
I bought a cheap phone mount ($6) and it works great with either of my phones, can handle bumpy rides, and I use it to play music, so win-win for me.

I bought a cheap phone mount ($6) and it works great with either of my phones, can handle bumpy rides, and I use it to play music, so win-win for me.

From Amazon I picked up some SoundShell handlebar-mounted speakers ($30) that's also a very useful storage compartment for keys, money, chapstick etc. The iPhone 4S with iOS 6 loves riding in there playing music for 6 hours running the Strava GPS app and still has 43% battery remaining at the end of those 6 hours. :thumbup

http://www.amazon.com/SoundShell-Bicycle-Portable-Speakers-versions/dp/B00439CQKQ

El cheapo speakers but I've had'em for a year and a half, they work great and last a long time off the two AA batteries.

It's great having music along for the ride, but you can still hear what's going on around you because no headphones plugging your ears.

Not so much;

Now that SRAM stuff comes in WiFly edition, you can buy road components with wide range gearing. But prior to this it had to be mtn stuff. And XTR shifts every bit as good as Dura Ace and is probably a bit more durable too.
Compact cranks with a mountain cassette kicks ass if you live in a hilly neighbourhood. (and are a little pudgy too:p, lethal combination)

Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting a cyclocross bike (yeah, I know this is a road bike thread :p). Anyhow, I don't know much about road/cyclo bikes and was wondering if this is a good deal on a steel frame/carbon fork cyclocross bike. It's on sale for $720 thru tonight. It's got Shimano 105 components which I hear are decent. Seems good but I'd like your feedback. It's steel and it's heavy but I guess this is the norm for lower end cross bikes? The additional 20% off sale ends tonight so I'm trying to make a last minute decision.

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_526536_-1

Thanks in advance for your input!

Hmmm. The fact that it ha 105 shifters, and derailleurs definetly makes it a tempting deal. The frame is a run of the meel low end frame. If I was in a market for a crossbike I would go for it.

I want a pony.

Seriously, though, I'm looking for a cheap cyclocross bike for a little person, if someone has a lead - the SM season is over and I want to keep the skillahs up. :p

I want a pony.

Seriously, though, I'm looking for a cheap cyclocross bike for a little person, if someone has a lead - the SM season is over and I want to keep the skillahs up. :p

I want a pony too! :cry

Also I think my friend was thinking of selling her cyclocross bike. Will ask about it tomorrow.

This riding can be addicting. Just got this hybrid 7 weeks ago, already racked up 1,021 miles and climbed Mt Diablo four times (first time was so slow, nearly fell over from lack of momentum :laughing )

Attachments

• diablo-entrance.jpg
    diablo-entrance.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 75
Crossbike is sold already.

Zerox, since TAKs is not here I'll say it for him, remove the dork disk. :twofinger

This riding can be addicting. Just got this hybrid 7 weeks ago, already racked up 1,021 miles and climbed Mt Diablo four times (first time was so slow, nearly fell over from lack of momentum :laughing )

I gotta suck it up and just start climbing up that mt... Live so close to the northgate entrance too! haha Still very much a n00b with only a couple hundred miles under my belt.

Zerox, since TAKs is not here I'll say it for him, remove the dork disk.

No no that plastic hero is my roadbike repellant....literally 5 seconds after I took that photo, a woman on a really nice road bike came past, leaned down to get her water bottle, it slipped out of her hand so she did an extra lunge to catch it which threw her balance off and she crashed at a walking pace only 15 feet away from me (she was ok).

I gotta suck it up and just start climbing up that mt... Live so close to the northgate entrance too! haha Still very much a n00b with only a couple hundred miles under my belt.

I just got into this bicycle stuff again in Sept, still a noob. I've done the north side 3 times, and a couple days ago did the south side for the first time. I found the south side easier in comparison, and that was after already riding 20 or so miles even before starting the south side climb. The north side has this bump right before the 1000 ft sign that the first time really made me want to cry. Wait mebbe I did cry....I just know it hurt, really wanted to quit, but didn't.

When I got to the summit (bucket list!) a roadbike guy that had easily passed me said "you were like a tractor, slow but you kept going." :rofl

My hybrid weighs 28.6 lbs fully kitted ready to ride, with lights front and rear, two cargo bags, and full water bottle. Maybe it IS a tractor....

Last edited:
No no that plastic hero is my roadbike repellant....literally 5 seconds after I took that photo, a woman on a really nice road bike came past, leaned down to get her water bottle, it slipped out of her hand so she did an extra lunge to catch it which threw her balance off and she crashed at a walking pace only 15 feet away from me (she was ok).

Was she... :laughing

I just got into this bicycle stuff again in Sept, still a noob. I've done the north side 3 times, and a couple days ago did the south side for the first time. I found the south side easier in comparison, and that was after already riding 20 or so miles even before starting the south side climb. The north side has this bump right before the 1000 ft sign that the first time really made me want to cry. Wait mebbe I did cry....I just know it hurt, really wanted to quit, but didn't.

When I got to the summit (bucket list!) a roadbike guy that had easily passed me said "you were like a tractor, slow but you kept going." :rofl

My hybrid weighs 28.6 lbs fully kitted ready to ride, with lights front and rear, two cargo bags, and full water bottle. Maybe it IS a tractor....

:thumbup
tumblr_m5dvgmnsnB1rvkosro1_500.jpg

I still don't get why more bicyclists don't use hydration packs on casual/fitness rides. No fumbling around for bottles, and it's a good place to stash the keys and wallet and phone. :p

Well, with the supermoto season over, it seems that the good bike-riding weather is upon us! We took a little ride today.

x40lsk.jpg

ka1ti1.jpg

I still don't get why more bicyclists don't use hydration packs on casual/fitness rides. No fumbling around for bottles, and it's a good place to stash the keys and wallet and phone. :p

That's what jersey pockets are for. :twofinger

Also don't really like the feel of a pack while on a bike.

Back