• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Summit bicycles is having a sale this weekend. Four tubes for 10 bucks. I think unwritten rule is whenever tubes go on sale stock up. :laughing

I carry two tubes, tire elvers, two C02 catridges, and small C02 "pump", and multi tool in my saddle bug. Then I have a nice frame pump. Pockets for foot, cellphone, and various layers.

On a side note. I can't find one of my AFM Jerseys. :cry Now I only have one to pose at road bike races. :(

Speaking of which Santa Cruz Classic is tomorrow. :banana

Nice bike and with a 12-30 sprocket in the back and a compact crank it has good gearing for all the climbing in the bay area.

Anyone has SRAM Rival front derailleur, clamp on 35mm I can borrow for few days? :nchantr

Anyone has SRAM Rival front derailleur, clamp on 35mm I can borrow for few days? :nchantr

You can use shimano 10 speed front derailleurs with SRAM shifters and they work the same if it helps.

I actually have a rival 35mm FD (err rather it's the adapter to mount a braze on and the braze on front derailleur, but same thing) sitting here but I'm probably not close enough for you (scotts valley).

Any rides during the week after 5pm or any time on the weekends?
I'm in South San Jose and would like to join a chill ride if anyone wants the company. :ride
(starting next week)

I'm down for a sat morning ride. Also kind of new to road biking. Been riding mountain for years.

You can use shimano 10 speed front derailleurs with SRAM shifters and they work the same if it helps.

I actually have a rival 35mm FD (err rather it's the adapter to mount a braze on and the braze on front derailleur, but same thing) sitting here but I'm probably not close enough for you (scotts valley).

Hmm, thanks for the tip. :)

I'm in South San Jose and would like to join a chill ride if anyone wants the company. :ride
(starting next week)

SJBC has weekend rides. I did a couple rides with them few years back seemed like chill group of people.

Did this route this evening. 22+ miles. Little ambitious as I'm just getting back into cycling. Didn't realize there was a slight .5 mile hill at the half way mark, damn near killed me.

Still not sure I'm fitted right. Get a little pain top of left knee and ride 90% with hands on top of the brake levers.

sFpk8C2l.jpg

(starting next week)

Hey Mike! Congrat's on getting a road bike!
My newbie friends and I do about 10-20 miles during Saturday or Sunday usually. Shoot me a PM with your cell# and I'll text you invites when we go.

You might want to check out this event this weekend:
http://www.seaotterclassic.com/

This looks like a good idea for me, decent first road bike, great price, no sales tax.
Any reason it's a bad idea?

More newb road questions-
1. Will I get laughed at if my helmet has a visor (mtb)?
2. Bottles and cages or Camelbak? (I've never seen a roadie with a camel)
3. What do you guys carry? tube/pump/tools/food/bars/etc
4. where? jersey pocket or under seat bag?
:ride

As a longtime roadie I sorta agree with Aram, but there's a logic to it. Dork discs and reflectors are government mandated bullshit that serves no purpose and has no place on a bicycle. Just like reflectors on motorcycle fenders.

Nobody will laugh at you for wearing a functional helmet. Wearing a helmet is always appreciated by roadies. Wearing a giant bmx helmet will get you laughed at because dudes wear them for cool points. Roadies wear millimeters of Lycra, were not trying to look cool. And don't get too caught up with wearing Lycra. The padded bottoms are great and if you start to clock long days it does help to keep you comfortable and cool, but shorts and tee shirts are great too.

Bottles are good because they're easy to access and don't weigh a ton. Camelbaks make sense in situations where bottles rattle out, or if you're going for major distance. Also you can pack tools, granola bars and what not.

Don't ever buy or use co2. Co2 in bicycle tires is a temporary fix when you're in a race and need to get going. Co2 leaks out of rubber much, much faster than air. Carry a hand pump a tire iron, a 5mm hex wrench, a patch kit and/or one to three tubes. One for each tire, and one to either give to someone in trouble or one for that day you flat three times. I also carry a spoke wrench but learn how to use one first. If you have a cheap bike with cheap wheels, you'll want to carry one. I also have a 350 lumen trail light, a tail light, a AA phone battery charger, some food of some kind, and some gu.

Lezyne makes the best hand pumps hands down. They're super compact, fold into a floor pump, have a pressure gauge and a hose so you don't bend the valve screw. For $22-$40 they're worth it and last you decades to come.

I don't have a seat bag because it looks dumb and you can't fit shit in there. I keep it all in a camelback. Most roadies don't use backpacks because two bottles of water = 48 oz and that's plenty for hours upon hours of riding. 100 ounces is heavy and overkill.

Oh and get some clip less pedals. You can pick up eggbeaters for cheap nowadays and some spd shoes. I prefer mavic MTb shoes (made by Adidas) because you can walk in them, unlike road bike shoes, yet they're plenty stiff in the soles.

Last edited:
As a longtime roadie I sorta agree with Aram, but there's a logic to it. Dork discs and reflectors are government mandated bullshit that serves no purpose and has no place on a bicycle. Just like reflectors on motorcycle fenders.

Kev, thanks for the great post!

Whats a dork disk?
I always wear a helmet, mtb helmet will be fine on the road bike for now.
I always wear bike shorts. Even have the AFM kit to pose in on the road.
I have Shimano SPD shoes on my mtb, I'll get road pedals so I can wear the same shoes for both.
If roadies don't have a seat bag or camelbak, do they really fit the tube/levers/phone/food/etc in their jersey pockets?

A dork disc is that black disc behind the cassette:

oppy3.jpg

I only carry 1 or 2 tubes, patch kit, and tire levers in my seat bag. Everything else (phone, house key or garage door opener, energy bar) is in my jersey pockets. My non-commuter bike has two bottle cages; plenty of fluids for the day.

Whats a dork disk?
I have Shimano SPD shoes on my mtb, I'll get road pedals so I can wear the same shoes for both.
If roadies don't have a seat bag or camelbak, do they really fit the tube/levers/phone/food/etc in their jersey pockets?

Dork disk is in case your RD is shittily adjusted so you don't shift it in to the spokes. See oatmealboy picture. In reality really a none issue.

Hey I also pose in AFM kit, even at races. :laughing :thumbup

Most have seatbag. Putting a side the question of visual austetics quite a lot can be fit in to a medium size seat bag. I picked up a new one last weekend at Summit, old one fell a part, and it can fit two tubes, two c02 canisters, tire levers, and c02 pump adapter. It's slightly smaller then my old one so I can't fit a multi-tool.

One tip is to put the spare tubes in to a zip lock bag. I heard stories of them developing holes if stored in a seat bag for too long. Not sure how prevalent that is, but why risk it?

You can fit a lot in those packets. Most guys will carry one tube, a compact hand pump, a tire iron, a gu flask, a 5mm hex, and their phone/credit card in a ziplock bag for if it rains. Sizewise, thats a tiny amount of stuff.

Last edited:
I am just getting into road bikes and recently bought a 2011 Fuji SST 3.0. Now I have to figure out what pedals to get and a few other things like tweaking the bike ergonomics to fit properly. Any good shops in the bay area, preferably the peninsula, that anyone can recommend would be helpful.

Whats a dork disk?

I don't think many mountain shoes work wit the 3 bolt road cleats (SPD-SL/Look/Speedplay/etc..) but some people use mountain cleats on the road. I tried it for a while when I started but I have knee problems and switching to speedplay pedals solved most of the issues I was having.

I've tossed all the tire changing stuff in my jersey pocket before if I didn't have seatbag on my bike. It's really not that big of a deal.

I went on a smallish group ride today through Corralitos up Eureka Canyon and down Soquel San Jose (billed as medium/fast) and it was sure fun getting dropped during the climb. :rofl Oh well, I'll try again next week.

Back