• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

I think I'll cruise up hwy 9 this Friday, establish my newb lap time on the new Trek and see how it improves over the coming months/years.

I'll be at Los Gatos bux around 930, pedals spin at 10am.
442 N Santa Cruz Ave, Los Gatos, CA

We'll ride up Hwy 9 to Saratoga, then up hwy 9 to the top. quick break at 4 corners and back down.

I'm slow, we'll regroup along the way and at the top/bottom.

All are welcome, Join me!

Just be careful of the asphalt rubber chip seal at the top of 9 on Skyline. It was pretty bad when I rode there last month. Very bumpy/loose and the shoulder is full of those asphalt chips. I emailed caltrans about it and they replied with:

"An asphalt rubber chip seal project was completed in November 2012 on state Route 35, in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties, in and near Palo Alto and Woodside, from the Santa Clara County line to 2 miles south of route 92. Chip seal was chosen for the SR 35 project because it is the most appropriate maintenance treatment based on the condition of the roadway. In addition to the Chip Seal project, Caltrans removed about 500 feet of existing pavement and replaced it with new hot-mix asphalt pavement for a smoother road surface. This was done on December 6, 2012, at the intersection of Routes 35 & 84. The raw asphalt was mixed with recycled rubber tire crumbs. A fog seal coat application was applied to hold fresh chips in place. That was followed by a sand cover to the surface of the new asphalt. We understand that several cyclists use this route for daily travel and sightseeing. Caltrans has received e-mails from these cyclists and residents in and around the area of this 21 mile project. The e-mails have concerns with the chip seal creating loose gravel, causing a rough and bumpy ride for cyclists. The surface treatment will gradually become smoother over time. This project was completed the week of December 3, 2012. During the construction of this project, the area was swept on a daily basis. The area was swept for another week after completion. Thank you for your patience during the construction of this project."

Just be careful of the asphalt rubber chip seal at the top of 9 on Skyline. It was pretty bad when I rode there last month. Very bumpy/loose and the shoulder is full of those asphalt chips. I emailed caltrans about it and they replied with:

ah, thanks, I'll skip hwy 35 then and ride more before hwy 9.

New Friday plan-
eh, I'll do this another time, going MTB'ing instead.

Heh too late for me, I need to be at work doing nerdy crap at 10.

Not sure how it is by 9, but between Kings and 84 it's not that bad actually.

Sunday: Guadalupe trail from downtown up to Santa Clara? Alviso? back down to Japantown to check out the festival / beer walk. 20-27miles

Pace: 13-19mph
Level: newbie
Us: newbie's/casual
Bring: lock if you want to lock your bike in Japantown, water, $$ for food/beer in japantown

I've been playing with my bike fit. Think I have it pretty close. Is it really worth all the money to have a pro bike fit done?

Would be interesting, if you had cash to burn, to have a pro set up your fit. Then bring it to another pro and see if he/she changes it just for the sake of changing it, without knowing it had already been pro fit

I've been playing with my bike fit. Think I have it pretty close. Is it really worth all the money to have a pro bike fit done?

Yes. very much worth it. I've had a few bike fits done on different bikes.

$100 bike shop fit (plumb line from the knee, measurements, etc) to the $300+ Retül bike fit.

Decide what you want to accomplish in your bike fit. optimal comfort, optimal performance, bit of both, etc.

Personally, I wanted a bike fit that would optimize power (measurable in increased watts). The downside of that was that I had to get accustomed to a position that my (lack of) flexibility had to grow into. It took me weeks of riding and some stretching to get comfortable, but my performance also improved. At some point later this year, I'll probably go back for a follow-up fitting to see if my bike position can be improved.

-ak-

Last edited:

Depends on how much you are riding, what issues you are experiencing, and of course how much money you want to spent. For me it was worth it, but I ride a lot, and have knee issues.

Going to re-glue my front tire tonight. So if it rolls in a race I'll only have myself to blame. :laughing

Front tubular tire is done. So much for regluing. Oh well. None of the bike shop have anything in stock and it's "week and a half" to order. Might as well order online. Anyone have any lying around, or can recommend a good one? Seems like Vittoria Evo CX is a popular choice, but complain is they leak air fast.

Depends on how much you are riding, what issues you are experiencing, and of course how much money you want to spent. For me it was worth it, but I ride a lot, and have knee issues.

40-50 mile ride every other Sat.

The other Sat I ride my MTB

Front tubular tire is done. So much for regluing. Oh well. None of the bike shop have anything in stock and it's "week and a half" to order. Might as well order online. Anyone have any lying around, or can recommend a good one? Seems like Vittoria Evo CX is a popular choice, but complain is they leak air fast.

Sounds like a pain! I'm glad all I do is putz around and don't race, so I don't have to worry about that stuff. :laughing

Rode up Mt Hamilton for the first time today and it was a lot of fun and not as hard as I thought since the grade never gets that bad.

I took it very easy on the first 2 parts and dialed it up for the last climbing part which worked well.

Last edited:
40-50 mile ride every other Sat.

The other Sat I ride my MTB

If you are not experiencing any major issues I would just ride it. If you have knee issues, or history of knee issues take it to a bike shop for regular one to make sure it's not way off. Just my 2 cents. You know your body best.

went up 9 yesterday afternoon, I have so much room for improvement.
Took almost an hour. :(
Went to the top, down to Redwood, Eden, Pierce then Tollgate. Great quick afternoon ride but damn I need to ride more, and further.

I'ma hit 9 tomorrow morning early before the Moto group ride.
Anyone want to join me in Saratoga around 8am PM me.

Perfect morning to ride! started at 7am and crawled to the top by 7:50 (room for improvement, lol). Had a great ride coming down at least, not a single car ahead or behind.

Perfect morning to ride! started at 7am and crawled to the top by 7:50 (room for improvement, lol). Had a great ride coming down at least, not a single car ahead or behind.

Awesome! :thumbup

Did Golden State omnium in Sacramento. While waiting for ambulance to clear the course, bored but understanding, a lot of very inappropriate things were said, and in general some guys were just ripping on juniors (in a friendly way). :laughing I don't think their parents would have been too happy if they overheard any of it. :laughing

On the way out saw a car in front of me, also driving from the race, on one side USA Cycling sticker on the other AFM. Just like on mine. :teeth Small world. :)

weird question, bike party is this friday, is anyone going?
AND does anyone have a front wheel/tire I could borrow for this THR-SUN? (in San Jose)

Back