• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

:thumbup Don't jinks it. There is D group now? When I did it, it started with C. :afm199 :laughing

yeah but you are eligible to move up to group C with just one race start. my goal is to be able to consistently place top 5 in D before i move up. i already have 5 points haha. at most races, group D has the largest field.

yeah but you are eligible to move up to group C with just one race start. my goal is to be able to consistently place top 5 in D before i move up. i already have 5 points haha. at most races, group D has the largest field.

:thumbup Play around with strategies and see what works and what doesn't. Don't be like me and upgrade to soon and suck badly at next level. :laughing

For some reason, racing on my 30+ pound commuter CX bike just doesn't seem appealing. Mostly, I'm just too lazy to remove my fenders, rack, and swap wheels/brakes to run skinny tires :)

XC has got me hooked though.

I want some new clinchers! My current set is about 2000 grams.

Anyone have recommendations for something that can handle a commute from Daly city to sf and fun weekend century rides that is in the 1500 gram range?

Also I've been thinking kinda about doing an amateur race at some point. I don't know where to start though.

Last edited:

Anyone have recommendations for something that can handle a commute from Daly city to sf and fun weekend century rides that is in the 1500 gram range?

Also I've been thinking kinda about doing an amateur race at some point. I don't know where to start though.

Continental GP/GP2 are pretty good.

For racing:
http://www.ncnca.org/ for schedule.
USA Cycling for rules, and if you want to buy license. Although for starting out you can just get one day license.
http://usacycling.org/
Bunch of random tips and people debating things endlessly:
http://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-bike-racing/380788-new-racing-here-s-tip-two.html

Use the current setup to commute on and maybe a set of Williams System 31s for weekend fun? They're an inexpensive fairly light and semi-aero wheelset but of course, skys the limit on lighter more areo wheels. Depends on how much the wallet is willing to part with.

http://www.williamscycling.com/Wheel-System-31-2024-spoke-count_p_8.html

Oh he meant wheels. lulz.

I have Shimano RS81 C24 Carbon Laminate Clincher Wheelset I got from PBK on sale last September. They held out well at ~200 miles a week. I imagine roads in South Bay/Peninsula are about the same as near SF.

anyone doing the copperopolis race this weekend? i was supposed to but my hamstring is fucking dead from running. i figure resting it is more important than a few points. i should probably invest in some leg rollers

Last edited:
SF roads range from decent to utter shit, so i'll need rims that can cope with that. I'd like to stick with aluminum cause I hear braking is bad on carbon and im a pansy on the DH so I do a lot of that.

anyone doing the copperopolis race this weekend? i was supposed to but my hamstring is fucking dead from running. i figure resting it is more important than a few points. i should probably invest in some leg rollers

Leg rollers are the shiznit.

Nope fuck copperopolis with a rusty dildo bat. It's a race you do once to say you did it, and then never again. :laughing If you don't have to. I rather race on gravel then on those shitty roads. On down hill you are going 30+ trying to avoid wheel eating pot holes, and by the end your hands are numb from all the vibrations. *

*Disclaimer it has been years since I did the race so maybe they improved the roads, but I doubt it.

SF roads range from decent to utter shit, so i'll need rims that can cope with that. I'd like to stick with aluminum cause I hear braking is bad on carbon and im a pansy on the DH so I do a lot of that.

Those rims are aluminum, just non braking surface is laminated for bling bling value. :laughing Most carbon clinchers have aluminum braking surface. Although I wouldn't really want to commute on those anyway.

was hoping to avoid wheel swapping for weekends. would like to just have the same setup for everything.

I just bought some campagnolo scirocco wheels from wiggle for $240 shipped. They are kind of heavy at 1700g but are 35mm deep so probably faster than a 20-24mm 1500g set of wheels.

I was going to use them for group rides and the occasional races. So far I like them.

finally got our new team kits in. officially official

11037348_10152740877531497_3125776663159861277_n.jpg

I have seen, and ridden, in uglier/flamboyant ones.

On a serious note, nice to see this then usual red/black/white kits plastered with "sponsors". Yeah that 5% discount on every other Tuesday from that sandwitch shop is super kool! :laughing

haha i was actually kinda bummed that we didnt get our sponsors printed on our kits. i think it goes back to my skateboarding days when being sponsored was a huge deal. we have iron on patches for our sponsors but its also optional

Wait I can get discount sammies!?!

Well at least you get some nice cloth numbers.

First track we'd night race was 2 days ago and was way fun. Did my first race as an official 4 in a 3/4 field.

Bicycle Brustop ride Saturday 9am

I'll be doing a group ride with Bicycle Brustop tomorrow morning at 9am in Novato if anyone's interested.

They have a tendency to stop and go, but its a nice ride. I've only been once and the ride was about 30 miles. Mixture of flat and rolling hills. The rides they are putting together is part of a training program they've put together so I'm not sure if the distance or route will change.

Well at least you get some nice cloth numbers.

First track we'd night race was 2 days ago and was way fun. Did my first race as an official 4 in a 3/4 field.

:thumbup Come out an do more crits.

I'll be doing a group ride with Bicycle Brustop tomorrow morning at 9am in Novato if anyone's interested.

They have a tendency to stop and go, but its a nice ride. I've only been once and the ride was about 30 miles. Mixture of flat and rolling hills. The rides they are putting together is part of a training program they've put together so I'm not sure if the distance or route will change.

Have fun on your ride tomorrow. :thumbup

Here is the bicycle shops training plan for their group rides if you're interested.

Well that certainly is interesting.

Last edited:
Back