• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Me: I want to race at the end of the month.
Coach: You are not ready. You have been sick and it put you at least a month behind in training.
Me: Well no much can be done with it considering time constraints this season.
Coach: Yeah, just keep that in mind. You will be racing in to fitness.
Me: OK.

Looks like Berkeley will be my first race of the season. Probably in 4/5 field. Not a good race to get back in to it. :|

are you doing any of the sea otter races? i have reno this weekend and then i want to do the sea otter race at laguna seca the weekend after but i have a midterm on the day that our team is leaving so ill have to rent a car and drive out myself

Nope, my chubby ass will get dropped on that course at my current fitness level. Somewhere between T6 and T7. :laughing

I wonder if those nimby assholes will still require them to have people manning sound booth. :laughing

Have you registered yet? Might be sold out.

Nope, my chubby ass will get dropped on that course at my current fitness level. Somewhere between T6 and T7. :laughing

I wonder if those nimby assholes will still require them to have people manning sound booth. :laughing

Have you registered yet? Might be sold out.

hahaha i was going to put a baseball card in my spokes and ask if i am over the 90db limit.

shit i didnt even think if it would sell out or not. i know i am signed up for the cx race for sure. whats the field limit for the track race?

Usually it's around 75 for crits/circuits, but it varies from organizer to organizer. Best to check on their website. Should be on race flier, or on registration page.

Usually it's around 75 for crits/circuits, but it varies from organizer to organizer. Best to check on their website. Should be on race flier, or on registration page.

Man just thinking about racing at Laguna and the pain of doing that climb and getting dropped by 145 pound guys doesn't sound fun at all. The field must split like crazy.

Looks like the cccx is this weekend and masters 5 is at 11 so I might give it a go.

Last edited:
Converted back to hybrid on the commuter. Going to see how it feels on my commute. LBS gave me some take off bars from a customer that are nice and wide. Put on a nice wide saddle that came with my new (to me) MTB that didn't belong in an XC race. We'll see if my neck/back discomfort goes away. I just need to plan to get a proper roadie for run in the future. My first ride on the bike was a century when I got it last year as a hybrid, so I'm good there :D

Attachments

• IMG_20150407_211644.jpg
    IMG_20150407_211644.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 94
Man just thinking about racing at Laguna and the pain of doing that climb and getting dropped by 145 pound guys doesn't sound fun at all. The field must split like crazy.

Looks like the cccx is this weekend and masters 5 is at 11 so I might give it a go.

GL. :thumbup

Converted back to hybrid on the commuter. Going to see how it feels on my commute. LBS gave me some take off bars from a customer that are nice and wide. Put on a nice wide saddle that came with my new (to me) MTB that didn't belong in an XC race. We'll see if my neck/back discomfort goes away. I just need to plan to get a proper roadie for run in the future. My first ride on the bike was a century when I got it last year as a hybrid, so I'm good there :D

:thumbup

did hellyer wed night race tonight and came in 3rd in the 3/4s. Tried some new gearing and it worked so much better. I just seem to do better at lower cadences. Also I really need to work on my tactics.

did hellyer wed night race tonight and came in 3rd in the 3/4s. Tried some new gearing and it worked so much better. I just seem to do better at lower cadences. Also I really need to work on my tactics.

Nice! You will kill it in a crits! :thumbup

OK, who is in for CAL crit this Sunday? I signed up for 4/5 field. Look for poser in full AFM kit getting dropped. :laughing

im probably not going to make it this weekend. my mom's birthday brunch is this sunday in SLO. ughhhh.

Cal is so far! I think I'm going to do the salinas crit in a few weeks though.

I'm guessing you'll do fine though. Either that or motivation to do more intervals to get ready for the next race. :)

Last edited:
im probably not going to make it this weekend. my mom's birthday brunch is this sunday in SLO. ughhhh.

This is more important! :laughing

Cal is so far! I think I'm going to do the salinas crit in a few weeks though.

I'm guessing you'll do fine though. Either that or motivation to do more intervals to get ready for the next race. :)

FYI Salinias crit is next weekend, first week of May.
http://www.ncnca.org/ncncaevent/salinas-criterium-0

I think I will do it instead of driving out to Rancho Cordova two days in a row.

This is more important! :laughing

FYI Salinias crit is next weekend, first week of May.
http://www.ncnca.org/ncncaevent/salinas-criterium-0

I think I will do it instead of driving out to Rancho Cordova two days in a row.

Sounds better. if I go I'll see you there! Is the course ok? Id have to do the cat 5 (no combined so it will probably be interesting).

I did another wed night racing at hellyer today. They did 4/5s instead of 3/4s so it was a little interesting. I came in 1st scratch race, 3rd win n out :(, 2nd in the points race and got 2nd overall. Missed 1st by 1 omnium point. :( but 2nd I think is 3 upgrade points which is cool.

my long sprints are very very strong I think the rest of my riding is only ok shape now though.

Sounds better. if I go I'll see you there! Is the course ok? Id have to do the cat 5 (no combined so it will probably be interesting).

I did another wed night racing at hellyer today. They did 4/5s instead of 3/4s so it was a little interesting. I came in 1st scratch race, 3rd win n out :(, 2nd in the points race and got 2nd overall. Missed 1st by 1 omnium point. :( but 2nd I think is 3 upgrade points which is cool.

my long sprints are very very strong I think the rest of my riding is only ok shape now though.

You will murder in crits! Just seat in, hide from the wind, and let it loose at the end. I have never seen breaks succeed in the 5's, and rarely in 4's.

Hmm, if it's the same course as couple years ago it's flat L shape with 5 left handers and one right hander. Although flier doesn't mention right hander for some rason. It's a flat course, with wide streets. So I wouldn't really call it technical. The pavement is OK.

I need to get out to hellyer rent one their bikes and go have fun. :teeth

You will murder in crits! Just seat in, hide from the wind, and let it loose at the end. I have never seen breaks succeed in the 5's, and rarely in 4's.

Hmm, if it's the same course as couple years ago it's flat L shape with 5 left handers and one right hander. Although flier doesn't mention right hander for some rason. It's a flat course, with wide streets. So I wouldn't really call it technical. The pavement is OK.

I need to get out to hellyer rent one their bikes and go have fun. :teeth

Thanks for the advice, road/crit sprints seem kind of funky. It seems everything is off getting a good spot into the last few corners.

I really should finish up the last 5 races I need to move up out of the 5's, then if they have masters 35+ 4s I can do that too.

If you decide to try out the track, let me know and I'll join you for a saturday beginner session (you do 3, they are kinda boring, but you learn the rules- then can race which is way better).

Thanks for the advice, road/crit sprints seem kind of funky. It seems everything is off getting a good spot into the last few corners.

I really should finish up the last 5 races I need to move up out of the 5's, then if they have masters 35+ 4s I can do that too.

If you decide to try out the track, let me know and I'll join you for a saturday beginner session (you do 3, they are kinda boring, but you learn the rules- then can race which is way better).

Or you can do regular 4's with me. God knows I suck enough it will take me forever to get those last 6 points. :laughing Good thing they don't expire anymore. :nchantr

Will do. :thumbup What time are those sessions?

Or you can do regular 4's with me. God knows I suck enough it will take me forever to get those last 6 points. :laughing Good thing they don't expire anymore. :nchantr

Will do. :thumbup What time are those sessions?

Huh I didn't know points didn't expire. I thought you lost half of them every year? I'm only 15 pts away from my 3 upgrade on the track now. :laughing

Beginner Sessions are Saturday mornings I think 8am? Info is here: www.ridethetrack.com and the new rental bikes are actually pretty good now.

Back