• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Originally it was weight, but now the difference is negligible. One advantage is that if you flat you can still ride on tubulars, slowly, but you can. Also in case it flattens during a turn it doesn't necessary mean you going to get down. It's slightly easier to control.

Interesting. I definitely loved the weight saving on my MTB going tubeless, but I'll hold off on anything like that for road.

Interesting. I definitely loved the weight saving on my MTB going tubeless, but I'll hold off on anything like that for road.

Well tubular are a bit different then tubeless. Tubular actually have tubes, but they are encased inside the tire. The inside of which has "cloth" and gets glued to the wheel. Not something I would use for commuting or casual riding.

Well it's been a while since anyones posted here. Any updates?

I tried out my new track bike and won the mens 3/4 omnium tonight, which was nice.

Kind of did the brute force method of racing tonight since there weren't any super strong sprinters out there. On the last sprint in the points race I went out a lap out in front with all these guys on my wheel and managed to hold them off by like 6 inches at the line. That's a great feeling but scary as hell knowing you have all these guys behind you and you just have to put your head down and push through as hard as you can.

Attachments

• IMG_4162.jpg
    IMG_4162.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 70
Nice! :thumbup

How to suck at racing:
Start: 81 people, 40 min crit
[youtube]-5iNeVifWLA[/youtube]
Start: 30 or so, 63 mile flat RR.
[youtube]OJwfX3FuyH4[/youtube]

First one you were looking so good into the final lap, seemed like you had a great spot just missing the hard jump. 81 riders though. Those fields are so big. So many people in the 4's. I think I'm waiting until next year to see if I'm even going to race road again. I've been enjoying the group rides and having too much fun at the track. Track training is more painful but fewer hours. I just do a lot of trainer short intervals now.

Well they combined 4/5. A CAT5 one that race... At the end those two guys in Orange jerseys? That's the team I just joined. I majorly fucked up by not jumping on their wheel. The guy who won got a free tow from them. :facepalm

Well they combined 4/5. A CAT5 one that race... At the end those two guys in Orange jerseys? That's the team I just joined. I majorly fucked up by not jumping on their wheel. The guy who won got a free tow from them. :facepalm

Yeah that doesn't surprise me. I know a young guy who is still a cat5 who can climb with the best in the santa cruz area. Some guys in CAT5 are just starting and have massive massive power.

What team is the orange jersey guys? I was talking to some guy (I think he is a 1 or 2 on the road I remember him from early bird crit as a volunteer) in the same jersey tonight who was talking about the team and how well they were doing. There are a few guys who show up at the track from that team. Some are really good, others scary.

Nothing new here. Big tri a few weeks ago, 3 MTB races coming up, a small tri, and another big tri in August.

And I'm moving, so my bike commute is going to be a mixed bike/run commute :thumbup

Nothing new here. Big tri a few weeks ago, 3 MTB races coming up, a small tri, and another big tri in August.

And I'm moving, so my bike commute is going to be a mixed bike/run commute :thumbup

Nice. :thumbup

Last edited:
i rode from sacramento, to san francisco and back last weekend. it was a pretty gnarly ride. on the way there, i went through lake berryessa area and that was awesome. gonna try and talk someone with a car into driving out to winters and climb through those hills again soon

https://www.strava.com/activities/311209202

anyone have a bb30 frame that's using a shimano crank? what are you using for your adapter?

I have one but I couldn't tell you the adapter brand I'm using since I bought the bike used and it came with it. All I can say is good on you for switching. Bb30/86/whatever are a solution for a problem that didn't exist.

i rode from sacramento, to san francisco and back last weekend. it was a pretty gnarly ride. on the way there, i went through lake berryessa area and that was awesome. gonna try and talk someone with a car into driving out to winters and climb through those hills again soon

https://www.strava.com/activities/311209202

nice!!! A 70mile ride is long for me now. One of these days I'll try a long ride, but I think the mental aspect would be the toughest. That and eating enough (I barely eat, even on 4 hour rides).

i totally had to force myself to eat. one cliff bar every 40 miles was my rule. those stinger gummies are good tho and they have carbs and caffeine so those werent too bad.

once you get to about mile 90, everything sucks so you just push those pedals to get where you're going. i am glad i did the ride tho. the northern california farming land backroads are not something that you see everyday and they are nice to ride through.

Congrats. I can't bring myself up to being more then three hours on a bike. So around 60-70 miles.

nice!!! A 70mile ride is long for me now. One of these days I'll try a long ride, but I think the mental aspect would be the toughest. That and eating enough (I barely eat, even on 4 hour rides).

At a slow enough pace and/or training you won't need to eat. I do multi hour runs and rides with no food intake. At a slow pace your body will just burn fat for energy. You have, for all intents and purposes, an unlimited supply there.

Since I'm going fast enough, but not too fast, I eat a peanutbutter sandwich during endurance races. High protein, high fat.

Back