• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Just picked up this used Miyata off craigslist. My commute is only 10.5 miles round trip but I have really enjoyed riding to work the first couple of times. This is my first road bike and I can't say that I know much about cycling but I definitely enjoy it.

1F90983C-D3C9-45E4-8C28-E042382065F7_zps8bposzy2.jpg

Sweeeet!! I was just down there and the felts looked sweet. I always want to buy another road bike when I go, but already have 3 nice ones. :laughing mention Costco or any gym or make up some triathlon association and they give you 10% off at checkout which I think I mentioned before.

Yup, they knocked 10% off (Costco) and installed some Speedplays. By the that time the fitting department had left for the day, but I'll get the initial adjustments done this weekend. Still need to gear up...lid (one that won't make me look like Toad from Mario Bros. lol!), shoes, gloves and clothing. Also need to accessorize...aero water bottle/cage, lights (FOR SAFETY), seat pack, compact pump etc.

Oh, almost forgot:

2rr5sn9.jpg

Yup, they knocked 10% off (Costco) and installed some Speedplays. By the that time the fitting department had left for the day, but I'll get the initial adjustments done this weekend. Still need to gear up...lid (one that won't make me look like Toad from Mario Bros. lol!), shoes, gloves and clothing. Also need to accessorize...aero water bottle/cage, lights (FOR SAFETY), seat pack, compact pump etc.

]

That's a freakin sharp looking bike. The new shimano 105 is sliiiick too. I know it's not the best but I almost never wear gloves and just use a $5 light. No need for aero bottle/cages either since you just want something easy to use and that holds bottles well and get the smallest seat pack you can find and use your pockets to store food and stuff so you can get it while riding easier. I use co2 inflator since I don't seem to flat often and it's way faster to air up a tire. Just spend your cash to get a sharp looking kit.oh and the saddle looks sad.

Last edited:

Oh, almost forgot:

2rr5sn9.jpg
Nice:thumbup
'Bout time

Place I stayed in Berlin, the husband invited me to go for a bit of bicycling to Russian war memorial. A single speed with flat bars. Felt like coming from sport bike to supermoto. The urge to do evil things was strong. :laughing

He also had brakes swapped, so left was rear. I didn't realize it at first. Why is it stopping like shit? Oops. Lol.

Anyway ride was great, stopped by nice place that sells all kinds of baklava, then kebab place.

Not a bad way to spend last evening there.

I loved their cats and wanted to take them with me. Kind of realized how bat shit crazy mine is, by comparison.

Nice new bikes!

Oh, almost forgot:

2rr5sn9.jpg

Flip the stem! Oh wait wrong forum. Lol.
Put a dampener on it and flat bars. Ah better! Lol.

That does look like a very aggressive drop.
What's up with the saddle?

Speaking of which budget for another one. Most stock ones suck, or at least not compatible with asses of people who are buying the bike.

Just picked up this used Miyata off craigslist. My commute is only 10.5 miles round trip but I have really enjoyed riding to work the first couple of times. This is my first road bike and I can't say that I know much about cycling but I definitely enjoy it.

1F90983C-D3C9-45E4-8C28-E042382065F7_zps8bposzy2.jpg
Nice, short commute to get started with. After a while you start finding a longer way to work, riding on weekends, and eventually wishing you didn't have a job so you could ride more :laughing :(

Oh all right! No pleasing some people. :p

Is this better? :twofinger

(Actually I didn't get a chance to get anything adjusted/fitted. By the time I left the shop their bike department was closing).

2v28pjm.jpg

My ass hurts just looking at that saddle. :laughing

You guys know remedies for numb left toes?

Got a new pair of shoes and tried to switch over the cleats. 8 miles into a ride my left toes started to tingle and go numb. I do have a metatarsal/neuroma issue on that foot.

Previous shoes were much smaller and would go number around the 35-40 mile mark. I put the old shoes on holy shit I don't know how I ever rode in them, so tight.

New shoes are Lake cx236 carbons size 41. Much much more room in toe box. Right foot I didn't even notice while riding.

Planning on paying to get sized soon...year old bike and new shoes. Maybe insoles?

Got a new pair of shoes and tried to switch over the cleats. 8 miles into a ride my left toes started to tingle and go numb. I do have a metatarsal/neuroma issue on that foot.

Previous shoes were much smaller and would go number around the 35-40 mile mark. I put the old shoes on holy shit I don't know how I ever rode in them, so tight.

New shoes are Lake cx236 carbons size 41. Much much more room in toe box. Right foot I didn't even notice while riding.

Planning on paying to get sized soon...year old bike and new shoes. Maybe insoles?

Shimano makes wide shoes. I need enough room to wiggle my toes while I'm riding every once in a while also try shifting to easier gear and not pushing down as much, more spinning for a little while.

Met up with the Santa Cruz Saturday crows nest ride and went up eureka canyon and it was soooo nice. Feels great to be riding again.

Check the cleat position. If they are in the wrong position that can happen.

Hay guyz, give me some ideas of a bed rack (for a 2002 Toyota Tacoma). Thule is nice but pricey; I've been looking around on the web for some homemade designs, and am strongly considering going that route. I already received my Rocky Mount locking clutch from Amazon:

RKY011_500.jpg

I'd love to be able to bolt it onto the forward bed railing but space is tight between the front of the bed and the back of the cab...there's no way I'll be able to get a nut-holding tool down there for the mounting bolts. :rant Therefore, option #2 is to install the locking fork mount on a platform that spans the bed, either a piece of sturdy board or better yet, box-section aluminum. Examples...

m9109g.jpg

IMAG0157.jpg

Or, alternatively, I can whip up something from PVC tubing:

7538E22C-F9FA-49EF-B569-4DFD4BEFD34B.jpg

Thoughts/ideas? What do you use? :)

while I champion the EZ-in-&-out nature of the painted PVC rack,
the other ideas look a li'l more sturdy - each has appeal

that's an inspiring fork clamp mount

Ok, PVC piping is out. Got it. :laughing (Although a shorter, lower-profile would be nice for home/garage use. :) ) If I could get some aluminum tubing (as mentioned before) for clamp mounting, and use security bolts to secure the whole works in my truck bed that would work just fine. Time to scrounge around the big box hardware stores this weekend... :eboy

Back