• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

RE: 2017 SBK Laguna Seca cycling activities:
pls ignore self-quoting -
don't wanna be sole barfer again enjoying this post-race ride
[dunno yet if Kawi will repeat - you're hereby alerted.....]

in the run-up to last weekend’s Laguna Seca SBK event, a little-noticed release [edited here] hit MA’s FB page:

“…..Kawasaki is hosting a "WorldSBiKe Ride" on Monday, July 11, after the race weekend.

A light breakfast will be served at 8 a.m. at Laguna Seca, and the approximately 50-mile group ride through the beautiful Monterey Peninsula will kick off at 9 a.m.

A casual pace will provide an opportunity to chat with reigning World Superbike Champion Jonathan Rea, former World Superbike Champion Scott Russell, and
15-time AMA Superbike race-winner Eric Bostrom.

Latus Motors Kawasaki rider Bobby Fong will also participate, along with others members of the World Superbike and MotoAmerica paddock. Kawasaki will supply Versys support motorcycles…..”

23 riders devoured a “light b’fast” of ‘nanas, coffee & Clif bars: posed for a group foto; & enjoyed a human-powered lap of the track, before taking off toward 17-Mile Drive & other local hilites

separate from the 4 celebs listed above, Garrett Gerloff, Paul Carruthers, and Jett Chandler were also present, plus 5 corporate Kawi-kitted organizers -
that left 11 of us unknowns to contest the KOM near ride’s end
[I rep'd da barfs by finishing DFL…..]

ignoring a few rented Giant disc Defys [similar to my own rim-brake version], most present were on their own, hi-end bikes – there was much Strava posturing amongst the Dura-Ace/carbon wheel subset of our crew

ending lunch was pizza - then the KOM prize was awarded and bike yakking ensued

the whole thing was fun - here’s the route:

https://www.strava.com/routes/5659697

If it lines up with the Sea Otter Classic, I'll be there :D

Yeah, didn't think so.

If it lines up with the Sea Otter Classic, I'll be there :D

Yeah, didn't think so.

so, back in the day, my son, Jake, was an aspiring NORBA Junior racer -
our local club, ROMP, invited the SOC's founder to address our monthly meeting

among his many anecdotes was this gem:

another Junior parent calls up to register their kid for the race,
asking how much climbing was involved? - "about 1800 feet"

next, how much descending? - "um, about 1800 feet"

"oh, that's wonderful, your going to all the trouble to match them"........

so, back in the day, my son, Jake, was an aspiring NORBA Junior racer -
our local club, ROMP, invited the SOC's founder to address our monthly meeting

among his many anecdotes was this gem:

another Junior parent calls up to register their kid for the race,
asking how much climbing was involved? - "about 1800 feet"

next, how much descending? - "um, about 1800 feet"

"oh, that's wonderful, your going to all the trouble to match them"........
:laughing

Although to be fair some Road Races end on a hill/mountain so at least during a race climbing is more then descending.

New to road biking and found a bike - Specialized Roubaix Elite

Hey guys!

Just getting in to road biking and found a used Specialized Roubaix Elite. Is this worth $300?

Ultegra rear derailer
105 front and brakes
Tiagra crank (triple chain ring)
Cane Creek headset
Mavic Kyserium Euipe wheels
New Michelin Pro3 race tires

It needs:
New tape on the handle bars
New seat
Brake bolts have a little rust and needs to be cleaned

Seems OK, try negotiating to 200-250 because of the seat.
More important question is, does it fit you?

He'll only go down 10 bucks.

I have clearance when standing on the ground with the frame between the legs! :laughing

There is more to it then that...
There are online calculators where you can get a ballpark sizing that would fit you.

Seems OK, try negotiating to 200-250 because of the seat.
More important question is, does it fit you?

^^^^troof

He'll only go down 10 bucks.

I have clearance when standing on the ground with the frame between the legs! :laughing

uh......

how much "clearance" ?

separately, izzit 10-speed cassette?
frame in good-or-better condition?

& most important, do you like the color?

Phew. Build is done. Just need to get fitted on Tuesday and get steering tube cut.

This bike is so much above my ability as a CAT3 I feel like a poser just looking at it. Lol

Phew. Build is done. Just need to get fitted on Tuesday and get steering tube cut.

This bike is so much above my ability as a CAT3 I feel like a poser just looking at it. Lol

most awesome newz, Alex - Congrats!

condsidering all the energy yer gonna save with lite weight + electronic shifting, you'll be CAT2 in no time

who duz yer fitting?

most awesome newz, Alex - Congrats!

condsidering all the energy yer gonna save with lite weight + electronic shifting, you'll be CAT2 in no time

who duz yer fitting?

It used to be whole athlete when I was with them, but this time around I took it to Calmar in Santa Clara.

Bike is setup, everything looks good. Tomorrow is a shake down ride. Wish me luck. :laughing They weighted it and it came in at 16.2 pounds. :wow Lightest bike I ever had.

Hopefully weekend will be dry so I can race on it. Otherwise I'll do it on my rain bike with fenders and shit. :laughing

First race of a three day stage race, last lap. Barely avoided a crash when some idiot dove on inside.
This was last Friday, I am in PenVelo kit.
Bonus points, anyone can guess where we are?
[YouTube]aF3_w4u7T5o[/youtube]

Last edited:
Thunderhill West?

That was close.

Back