• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Bikesdirect?

thought about it but there are so many motobecanes floating around that i might as well snag one used for half the price. my problem is that im trying to balance between having a cool, fun bike to ride and not caring about it that much, which now that i type it out is kind of an oxymoron.

i offered a guy w/ a caad10 disc frameset 500 bucks on ebay. he's asking 650 but its been up for sale for almost 2 months so if he takes my offer, im just going to build that up with some 105 or even tiagra

Last edited:
please post some detailed pix - very interested in yer 'new' steed

I have a few changes I am going to make soon and then I'll post up some good pictures. I'm going to put a stem/quill adapter on and swap on the bars from my commuter bike and put the hybrid bars back on that. My LBS is going to give me a more modern crank they have laying around so I can more easily get away with the 10sp chain (the chainrings are too far apart and the 10sp sometimes drops in between). It is a very budget build with all free/cheap parts but the bike just has character. And, in all honesty, it takes pressure off when riding to push hard and just enjoy it.

Is there a legit way to watch the Tour de France on the internet? I don't have cable TV.

Wow. They cover a lot of events. Will look into it. Thanks for the heads up.

Following up on this. The NBC Sports Gold Package offers a huge number of bike races all year long. However, I passed as I have been able to find everything I need on YouTube.

This question may not hit its intended audience as I would expect most in this thread to be avid cyclists... however any of you ridden or owned an e-bike kit? I.E. a front hub electric motor for "hill climb assist" or commuting? If yes, what were your general thoughts on the e-bike kits (i.e. not a full electric bike but a motor and battery pack) how useful they were and would you recommend any particular brand / model?

I think bikeforums.net has sub section on electric assist bikes. Might be better resource.

please post some detailed pix - very interested in yer 'new' steed

Not exactly detailed pictures, but something.

-1985 Bridgestone 600
-Recently removed the original Suntour and replaced with the Rival 10 speed
-Vuelta Aeromax that were on my hybrid CX commuter when I bought it (now up to over 15,000 miles on a $100 wheelset!)
-Vitorria Rubino Pro Control 28mm tires.
-Take off Cannondale seat my friend didn't like.
-Random seatpost (might put the carbon one from my mountainbike soon though)
-Profile Designs stem adapter
-Ritchie Pro 100mm stem from my mountainbike
-Bontrager 42cm aluminum bars
-Older Shimano 105 brakes
-Original Suntour crankset with 52/42 rings (that 42 hurts).
-12-28 cassette

Just bought the Garmin 800 as a refurbished unit for cheap so I can have mapping. Going to ditch my smartphone now. Put about 7000 miles on it in the past year. Most of it mostly original minus the wheelset since the only thing missing was the rear wheel.

I really dig this bike. I raced my first CX event on it last year when I only planned to watch, I was running 23mm tires at the time. Did a 170 mile ride. Lots of climbing. Just a cool bike. I'm not really interest in road racing so buying a fancy bike just doesn't appeal to me. Though I am going to try and jump into some crits and see if I can get some upgrades to help act as a Domestique for some friends who road race. My talent is in mountain bike.

Attachments

• KIMG1962.jpg
    KIMG1962.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 94
  • KIMG1960.jpg
    KIMG1960.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 95
ive been so happy with my chinese carbon mtb 29er frame that i decided to build up a chinese cervelo r3 clone as my disposable commuter bike. bought this earlier today for 250 bucks. better than rolling around on some ancient peugeot or schwinn steel lug bike.
p4pb14865333.jpg

Last edited:
jeesh!

clone or not, that's a LOT o'bike for very little $$ -
please keep us informed about yer progress with pix

Q: replaceable derailleur hanger?

jeesh!

clone or not, that's a LOT o'bike for very little $$ -
please keep us informed about yer progress with pix

Q: replaceable derailleur hanger?

yeah, der hanger is replaceable. its basically an exact replica of a 2016 cervelo r3 even down to using the same BBRight bottom bracket standard (which is a pain in the ass since is really made for campy stuff and im all sram/shimano). but from every report ive read, which are numerous and extensive, i have come across no one who is unhappy with the frame

ive been so happy with my chinese carbon mtb 29er frame that i decided to build up a chinese cervelo r3 clone as my disposable commuter bike. bought this earlier today for 250 bucks. better than rolling around on some ancient peugeot or schwinn steel lug bike.

Nice ninja edit :D

Nice ninja edit :D

:laughing:rofl

didnt want to hurt anyone's feelings. but as ive been in the market for a beater bike for the past few months, the three bikes that i see consistently in the $150&below range are peugeots, schwinns and bstones. but i guess like with any brand, some frame models are better/more expensive than others.those are just the ones ive observed

:laughing:rofl

didnt want to hurt anyone's feelings. but as ive been in the market for a beater bike for the past few months, the three bikes that i see consistently in the $150&below range are peugeots, schwinns and bstones. but i guess like with any brand, some frame models are better/more expensive than others.those are just the ones ive observed
Doesn't bother me. I got the bike nearly intact for free and have very little financial invested in it. But in my area this bike is very unique. Around here everyone is on carbon with the rare high end aluminum (CAAD type). I don't think that's the case up there, I think you have more hipsters.

I'm also at about 6000 miles (on this bike) in the year I've had it :D

[edited]Doesn't bother me. I got the bike nearly intact for free and have very little financial invested in it.....I'm also at about 6000 miles (on this bike) in the year I've had it :D

finally!

someone remembered that a bike iznt yer GF's earring tree with jewelry hung on it - it's something you ride

or, in Sidewalk's case, ride & ride & ride.....

Back