• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

I imagine UDRider has me beat.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-08-09-14-09-06.png
    Screenshot_2017-08-09-14-09-06.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 98

wow!

Tuono Joice & I reliably roll 60-100 miles weekly on our mechanically identical Giants, so that'd be 2500+ miles so far in 2017 -
except for the 6 weeks I was out with hamstring & the 10 weeks we were o'seas &.....

here's why I bolded mechanically identical:

our Defy & Avail Advanced models sported 1825g OEM wheels when I encountered a club member/bike parts designer touting sorta elliptical[?] chain rings & his TruVelo branded, 1325g '724' & 1505g '733' wheelsets [sold under Oval Concepts umbrella], OEM on top-line Fujis & Kestrels - MSRP $1300, online mebbe $750

in 8/2016, I eBayed a $300[!] takeoff 733 wheelset & was unwrapping them when TJ asked, "Are those for your bike? How much lighter? Oooh! - am I getting a pair, too?"

back into the box they went.....s-l-o-w forward 11 months -
after eBaying every 2 weeks, "buy it now" 733 $300 takeoffs appeared 7/2017 & I snagged em!

so, for the last 2 weeks, we've been happily spinning these [can we feel the 320g difference? - not really.....:x]:

Last edited:
oops:

Attachments

• IMG_1319.JPG
    IMG_1319.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1320.JPG
    IMG_1320.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 93

Nah man you have me beat I keep my work load to 11-13 hours a week. Which comes out to a bit over 200 a week. Less during race season because weekends are usually crits.

So I just got a set of new tubulars. You need to have tire off to tru them. :/ Need to see if I can return them. Bleh.
They have other issues too related to my frame and brake setup.

sorta elliptical[?] chain rings
I went to an oval on my XC bike a couple of months ago. I went in very skeptical, but came away very happy with the performance. I am not sure if I will get the same advantages with a full suspension bike though, so I will have to test that and see when I get my new bike for next season.

so, for the last 2 weeks, we've been happily spinning these [can we feel the 320g difference? - not really.....:x]:

It's odd, but I didn't really feel a difference when I went to a nice set of carbon wheels on my XC bike from the stock more enduro oriented wheelset it came with (1784g to 1342g, a full pound!). But on the other hand, I know there is a difference. I know they are wider internally (better for the tires), stiffer (better for sprinting), and lighter. So though I don't feel the difference, I know it is there and don't feel I wasted money.

Nah man you have me beat I keep my work load to 11-13 hours a week. Which comes out to a bit over 200 a week. Less during race season because weekends are usually crits.
I try to aim for 20 hours a week, which is normally about 250 miles. Shows how much faster your rides are when you do about 10 hours less, but near the same mileage :laughing

So I just got a set of new tubulars. You need to have tire off to tru them. :/ Need to see if I can return them. Bleh.
They have other issues too related to my frame and brake setup.

Not too many people it seems running tubulars anymore. Thought about going tubeless? A ultra distance racing friend of mine runs tubeless now.

http://cruzbike.com/blog/2016/09/16/race-report-jason-perezs-2016-california-triple-crown-victory/

(FYI, that is the same Perez of former AMA Rookie of the Year fame)

Man I am not sure how you can get 20 hours a week in.

Yeah tubies are dying breed. At this point it's a mental thing. I feel more secure through corners on tubies. Maybe I should bight the bullet and just go with race clinchers.

Man I am not sure how you can get 20 hours a week in.
Not easy.

Mon: Wake at 5:15, feed horses, clean pasture, ride bike 30 minutes to work. Ride 40 minutes home (prevailing headwind), do chores (feed horses, etc).
Tue: Repeat, except after feeding the horses after work head out to my not so LBS 30 miles away for a group ride. Get home about 11 PM, shower and bed.
Wed: Same as Mon
Thu: Same as Tue, except I haul the MTB out for a mountain bike group ride (I start an hour early for "extra credit")
Fri: Same as Mon/Wed

Sat/Sun: Race, ride something, usually do something. I'm planning a pretty big roadie ride this Sunday. My main XC season ended (still have practice XC and 3 or 4 BIG endurance XC races).

It's basically my part time job. I do not suffer from boredom. And am trying to figure out how to add running a couple of times a week too.

Yeah tubies are dying breed. At this point it's a mental thing. I feel more secure through corners on tubies. Maybe I should bight the bullet and just go with race clinchers.
One less hassle. Tires have come a long way in technology too.

i got my frame today. i have to say, workswell is insanely high quality. if i didnt know any better, id just say its a full on, badge-less r3. the weave of carbon compared to my dengfu 29er is noticeably higher quality, especially around the bottom bracket and seat post/top tube junction.

a lot of parts for this build are coming from my spare parts bin, but here's a breakdown of how much ive spent (and im pretty much done with the purchasing part of it all. now im just waiting on shipping and then im going to build)
frame- $270 (including shipping)
Sram red crankset- $100
fizik saddle- $25
zeus carbon bars- $25
fsa seat post- $75 (i splurged on this one)
bottom bracket adapter- $40
deda bar tape- $8
cable set- $30
new 105 rear deraileur (my ultegra one needs a pulley)- $40
ultegra chain- $25
12/30 cassette(this was more of a want than a need)- $40

so all in all, i got away with spending roughly 600 bucks for a pretty high level bike that i wont cry a river about if it gets stolen. im stoked
sHNpJB1.jpg

so cool - Congrats!

Q: what does the nekkid wheelest [Dura-Ace?] weigh?

RE: stealth - does anyone have a brand of durable bicycle tire black to recommend?

my Contis are too bright mustard & texty, wanna quiet em down.....

thx

RE: stealth - does anyone have a brand of durable bicycle tire black to recommend?

my Contis are too bright mustard & texty, wanna quiet em down.....

thx
Not totally stealth, but the Vittoria's I have don't seem to be too flashy. I'm on 28mm Pro Control and they seem to be performing well enough.

so all in all, i got away with spending roughly 600 bucks for a pretty high level bike that i wont cry a river about if it gets stolen. im stoked
sHNpJB1.jpg

Cool

i got my frame today. i have to say, workswell is insanely high quality. if i didnt know any better, id just say its a full on, badge-less r3. the weave of carbon compared to my dengfu 29er is noticeably higher quality, especially around the bottom bracket and seat post/top tube junction.

a lot of parts for this build are coming from my spare parts bin, but here's a breakdown of how much ive spent (and im pretty much done with the purchasing part of it all. now im just waiting on shipping and then im going to build)
frame- $270 (including shipping)
Sram red crankset- $100
fizik saddle- $25
zeus carbon bars- $25
fsa seat post- $75 (i splurged on this one)
bottom bracket adapter- $40
deda bar tape- $8
cable set- $30
new 105 rear deraileur (my ultegra one needs a pulley)- $40
ultegra chain- $25
12/30 cassette(this was more of a want than a need)- $40

Cool. Can't wait to hear how it rides.

damn son, thats a serious ride! congrats on the summit. i bet your butt felt amazing after that ride :laughing

dude!

separate from the mileage & the elevation climbed & the downhill speed & the average speed & yer heartbeat -
that relive app is awesome, itz like TV coverage!

Tuono Joice & I just ret'd from a 40-mile, near-flat ride with a similar average speed.....we were lying down, pre-hot tub, when I showed yer relive vid to her - suitably humbled!

i bet your butt felt amazing after that ride :laughing

Not too bad, but I'm kind of used to long hours :D

yer heartbeat -

That was a combo of a worn out strap and wind. When the air is too dry and/or the strap is worn out, you get some bad readings that go real high. I probably maxed out at 150 all day. My average shows 117, which is probably pretty close.

The app is pretty cool though. Two days later (I meet with a group, which is obvious on the map, every Tuesday night):
https://www.relive.cc/view/1136010160

finished building the chinese cervelo today. it rides really nice. super stiff and light. im happy with it but i need a shorter stem. i have a 110 on there now, but the way the ergos are, i am way too far forward. also, its a commuter bike, not a racer so a shorter stem will help put me a little more upright. all in all, after 20 miles on it today, i can say that i am really happy with how it turned out.

ghrpBIw.jpg

lookin' sharp!

nearly nekkid, too - what are those very few stickers sayin'?

Thanks for the update Kelso. Glad the build turned out so well.

Back