• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

I've heard a lot of good things about this ride, too. suerte!

I signed up for the Cinderella Classic this weekend, after a co-worker recommended it.

I was tired after doing a 60-mile day last year, but I was carrying camping gear and a tent up and down a few hills, so I think it should be a lot better. :twofinger

I rode a women's-specific-fitment road bike a few weeks ago (Fuji Finest 2.0) and absolutely loved the way it fit, but I can't spend money these days on anything but SM. :(

I'm kinda hoping that the less it's mentioned, the better the view I'll have. :p

With the forecast as dismal as it sounds, the views shouldn't be a problem, right?

Where are you watching it from? I watched it from Sierra Road last year - that was pretty awesome :)

Edit: Just read your possible viewing locations in your prior post. Don't mind me - long week at school :)

Good point. it'll be on versus chanel too:

http://www.versus.com/nw/article/view/28927/?UserDef=true&catID=76

You didn't ask but I'm telling ya that i'll be spilling beer in my lap while cheering for tom boonen in the sprints, vandevelde for the GC and David Zabriske for the chrono.

hoot holler.
:party

:wow :wow :wow

This IS the ROAD BIKE thread, and NOBODY even MENTIONED

http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/

:x

:p

I'm going to try and see them in Santa Cruz or in San Jose before they take off, maybe try to get to one of the climb locations

Where are you watching it from? I watched it from Sierra Road last year - that was pretty awesome :)

Unplanned - we were going to go to Sears on Monday, but it looks like the SM day will not go on (bah), so I thought I might watch the bikers instead. The pedal across the GG should be pretty cool - do you know which roads they're closing and when? I imagine it'll be easier to get to a good spot on a moto.

I work Monday. :( No see Lance... :cry

Hehe, I just got back from spending a couple days in Santa Rosa.

I did a small group ride yesterday with a couple of pros from the Cervelo team. Unfortunately, no Carlos Sastre (last years Tour de France winner), but I did ride get to ride with Edward King and Serge Pauwels.:teeth

Well, it was more a social ride for them and that they didn't want to be taken out by us amateurs days before the start of the TOC. I'd say it was an easy spin for them, though a fairly brisk pace for me.

Both days were just over 30 miles with an 18+ avg. Today's ride didn't include the pros but Cervelo staff. Still, they made it a point to not let things get out of hand, thankfully.:laughing

Both days were just over 30 miles with an 18+ avg.

Was that downhill with a tailwind? (would have to be for me. I think I climb hills faster than I can pound out a flat.) :laughing

You and me both kid. The key to surviving is by sitting on a wheel aka wheel sucking...which i'm apparently pretty good at.:thumbup

The loop had it's share of rollers though nothing I could take advantage of, in front of most of the field on those but really just able to hold them off.

It was cold, rainy and windy. So cold in fact, that it began to hail just as we finished up today's ride around 4.

The pedal across the GG should be pretty cool - do you know which roads they're closing and when? I imagine it'll be easier to get to a good spot on a moto.

From the Marin County Bicycle Coalition:

9. Delays expected near GG Bridge during Tour of CA, this Monday, 6 AM to noon
Bridge will remain open during event

Mary Currie of the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway, and Transportation District writes:

Amgen Tour of California-SausalitoGolden Gate Bridge, Highway, and Transportation DistrictThe Amgen Tour of California crosses the Golden Gate Bridge (Bridge) roadway for the first time as part of Stage 2, which begins in downtown Sausalito at 8:30 am on Bridgeway at Spinnaker Drive, a short walk from the ferry landing. Stage 2 is 115.9 miles and ends in Santa Cruz. The race peloton will cross the Bridge roadway at approximately 8:40 am to 8:50 am.

No parking and no drop-offs will be allowed at the Golden Gate Bridge. Parking lots and exits will be closed at midnight. Golden Gate Ferry will add a departure from the San Francisco Ferry Terminal at 7 am for a 7:30 in arrival in Sausalito.

For complete details of the impacts at and near the bridge, click here. Here are a few of the key highlights:

* Bridge roadway remains open to traffic during the event, with the two eastern most traffic lanes being used by the race. By approximately 10:30 am, the Bridge roadway will be returned to 3 northbound lanes and 3 southbound lanes.
* All parking areas and exits off 101 at the Bridge will be closed, midnight to approximately 10:30 am.
* Southbound Merchant Rd./25th Ave. exit, at the toll plaza, will remain open; intersection of Merchant Rd. & Lincoln Blvd. will be closed 7:30 am to 10:30 am.
* Conzelman Road portion under the north approach viaduct of the Bridge remains open only to bicyclists and pedestrians, as it always is.
* Alexander Avenue will be closed to vehicle traffic from 6 am to 10:30 am and remain open only to bicycle and pedestrian traffic during this time.
* Spectators will have to hike or ride to access the Bridge sidewalks as follows: East sidewalk will open only to pedestrians at 5 am. No bicycles will be allowed on the east sidewalk and the West sidewalk will open only to bicyclists at 5 am. Accessing the Bridge Sidewalks from 5 am to 10:30 am will be very challenging due to all of the parking lot closures in the vicinity. Valet bike parking will be provided at Vista Point and in the southeast visitor area. The public will be able to access the Bridge sidewalks via Battery East Rd. on the south end and via Conzelman Rd. from East Fort Baker on the north end.

Wow - If your bike computer was reading 18+ mph average after 30 miles, that sounds like a pretty serious pace (for me), and of course the amount of ascent is a factor.

Well it's early Spring, friends. I nicked this off of PEZ but thought it apropos to the thread and earlier posts of people entering the cold Norcal racing events. Good luck to you and don't spare the liniment!

samyn-wouter.jpg

^ ^ looks pretty rough!

I tried part of SIERRA RD just to see what it was about... definitely helps me to appreciate how much POwA the pros have. I went up about 3/4 of it and decided that was enough for that day. I will be back!

^ ^ looks pretty rough!

I tried part of SIERRA RD just to see what it was about... definitely helps me to appreciate how much POwA the pros have. I went up about 3/4 of it and decided that was enough for that day. I will be back!

I think it took me twice as long to get up it as it did them. :wow And they did a few more miles before and after it than I did. :wow:wow I'm a big wuss though. :p

^Uh huh. I think that's what we refer to as sandbaggin'.:thumbup

I've heard a lot of good things about this ride, too. suerte!

Thanks!

I started at about 8am and was in line for food by 12:18, so it was a little over four hours. I'd never done anything of that length before, certainly not while trying to go for it the whole time, so it was an experience. There were no serious climbs, but many of the sections had brutal headwinds; shifting into a climbing gear to go along a flat road is not good... :p

I definitely liked it a lot better than the crit I tried! I could see doing more of these. Although it has only increased my yen for a real road bike - I did this on my 'cross bike on 'cross tires.

Thanks!

I started at about 8am and was in line for food by 12:18, so it was a little over four hours. I'd never done anything of that length before, certainly not while trying to go for it the whole time, so it was an experience. There were no serious climbs, but many of the sections had brutal headwinds; shifting into a climbing gear to go along a flat road is not good... :p

I definitely liked it a lot better than the crit I tried! I could see doing more of these. Although it has only increased my yen for a real road bike - I did this on my 'cross bike on 'cross tires.

Couple buddies of mine were out there on Saturday and ended up on part of the Cinderella course; they said the wind was like: "Faaaaaaack..."

congrats on finishing, a road bike (or just road tires on the cross setup) would doubtless make those miles go quicker...

Back