• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Fer sure - but I think there's a fitment issue, too. That Redline is the first 'real' bike I've owned, as opposed to cheapo hybrid bikes, and I don't think it fits me right. I've changed out a few parts to try to improve the fit, and it still makes my back and shoulders ache after a few dozen miles.

I had a chance to buy that Finest half-price, and I still kinda regret not snagging it. ;)

I took very few - too busy pedaling!

Other riders before:

387.jpg

And after.

397.jpg

Cheating.

393.jpg

My poor long-suffering 'cross bike.

402.jpg

Anybody have a cyclocross style bike they wanna trade for a Giant Trance 4 with about 30 minutes of ride time on it?

I wanna start doing more road stuff to get back into shape.

Anyone have experience with Specialized brand? The Tricross comp in particular?

I am a big dude, about 235lbs, 6'3".

A local shop with a fairly good rep reccomended a leftover 2008 model.

I have been doing a bit of commuting 2 miles each way on an old Trek mountain bike, want something better and more road oriented.

Anyone have experience with Specialized brand? The Tricross comp in particular?

I am a big dude, about 235lbs, 6'3".

A local shop with a fairly good rep reccomended a leftover 2008 model.

I have been doing a bit of commuting 2 miles each way on an old Trek mountain bike, want something better and more road oriented.

ya, buddy of mine has one, and it works fine for him. As long as the frame fits your body well, that's the most important thing. Also, check to see if there are any eyelets for a rack on the seatstays and/or forks just in case that's important to you. I love cyclocross bikes for commuting use: great tire clearance with a road bike fit.

Anyone have a good site or ways to fitting of a bike? I have a 54" and all my gear just cant get the adjustment right to feel comfortable. I rarely reach down in the tuck position.

Anyone have a good site or ways to fitting of a bike? I have a 54" and all my gear just cant get the adjustment right to feel comfortable. I rarely reach down in the tuck position.

If you're in San Ramon, I highly suggest contacting Gregory / bicyclemech1 in Concord. He used to own and run a bike shop, and wrenches for several of us here on BARF.

free work in my garage for everyone.

Fittings usually take me 45-60min. You need to be in cycling shorts and your cycling shoes. my schedule is pretty flexible.

Climbing wheels 4 Sale.

Nimble Spiders. 1400g for the set. tensioned and true with fresh bearing in the front wheel(extra set too. they're really small and don't last too long)
They are just too flexy for my fat ass (195lbs)
Check out www.nimblewheels.com
$300 for the set includes Michelin Pro2 tires in light blue with plenty of miles left on them and installation on your bike.

GREG!

I'm looking for a Cyclocross bike. Any advice? (I'm cheap. Maybe 5-600 bucks and used is more than OK for me)

C-Cross rundown.

Option 1: watch CL for a used bike. Cross bikes come up every now and then, but not often.

Option 2: Log on to BikesDirect.com and buy a new one for really cheap and bring it to me to build up and fit for free. It's good stuff and way cheaper than a shop. Not what the cool kids are riding, but F the Euro-cross Snobbies!

Option 3: If i were going to race cross again I would take my old rigid mtn/commuter bike, strip it down and put some super skinny mtn tires on it. When I was racing, half of the really fast guys were doing this with their old mtn bikes. The EuroSnobbies hated it.

Option 4: (best option imho, primarely because it the cheapest) Find a really old road bike. Needs to have center-pull brakes and 700c wheels. Stuff some cross tires on it. Get some reeaallly wide road bars and maybe an old bar end shifter for the rear gears. Strip the front down to a single chainring. This is authentic Cross COOL.
Rarely ride the bike and instead train by running wind sprints on the steepest dirt hill you can find for 45min. straight. (puking from exertion should be a common occurrence) sign up for the next cross race and kick the shit out of every eurosnobbie in your class:thumbup. Later, on the podium, make sure to give all the credit to your mechanic. (that would be me :p)

Option 1: watch CL for a used bike. Cross bikes come up every now and then, but not often.

Option 2: Log on to BikesDirect.com and buy a new one for really cheap and bring it to me to build up and fit for free. It's good stuff and way cheaper than a shop. Not what the cool kids are riding, but F the Euro-cross Snobbies!

Option 3: If i were going to race cross again I would take my old rigid mtn/commuter bike, strip it down and put some super skinny mtn tires on it. When I was racing, half of the really fast guys were doing this with their old mtn bikes. The EuroSnobbies hated it.

Option 4: (best option imho, primarely because it the cheapest) Find a really old road bike. Needs to have center-pull brakes and 700c wheels. Stuff some cross tires on it. Get some reeaallly wide road bars and maybe an old bar end shifter for the rear gears. Strip the front down to a single chainring. This is authentic Cross COOL.
Rarely ride the bike and instead train by running wind sprints on the steepest dirt hill you can find for 45min. straight. (puking from exertion should be a common occurrence) sign up for the next cross race and kick the shit out of every eurosnobbie in your class:thumbup. Later, on the podium, make sure to give all the credit to your mechanic. (that would be me :p)

:rofl

Some guy is trying to sell me a "Surly" that seems pretty sweet. Wants about $900.

That or the Specialized tricross.

I have been riding a crappy old trek frankenbike for awhile, but wanted something nicer.

Finally getting convinced that road cycling would help my track riding so I am looking for advice on getting started in the road cycling world. I have not been on a road cycle since I was about 14 and found you could actually get 2 wheels AND an engine!!!!!
I own a mountain bike but use it mainly as a pit bike at track and race weekends.
Any advice on where, what to but to get started?

Thanks in advance from a old fat guy:teeth

Finally getting convinced that road cycling would help my track riding so I am looking for advice on getting started in the road cycling world. I have not been on a road cycle since I was about 14 and found you could actually get 2 wheels AND an engine!!!!!
I own a mountain bike but use it mainly as a pit bike at track and race weekends.
Any advice on where, what to but to get started?

Thanks in advance from a old fat guy:teeth

Have to disagree Alan, you're not fat :twofinger

How tall are you?

Want to look at two-wheel things with and without engines? ;)

I am 5' 8" and always want to look at two wheeled things with engines especially the 250 SM kind *LOL* I just cleared a bunch of computers out of my garage so have more bike space now:rofl

Tune up your Mtn. Bike

I really like old mtn bikes for beginning road riders. Great brakes in a easy t reach position, comfy ride position, and lots of granny gear for climbing hills. Buy some smooth tires and freshen up the drivetrain. take some sand paper to the brake pads and clean them up and your good to go. Specialized makes some great seats (so good that you may not need cycling shorts. and no sleepy peepee too) and it is probably money well spent if you are going to spend a fair amount of time on it.

My take on road biking for cross training:

I started on a motorcycle late in life (early 30's) after a lifetime of riding and racing everything bicycle. On a motorcycle I was immediately smooth, confident and picked the shortest /fastest line around a track. I looked thru corners and instinctively rode three corners ahead of myself. I just did it real slowly, as it took a long time to get comfortable with the speed.
Cycling got put on the back burner as I started motorcycling more, and I got fat.
After a summer of heavy mtn biking(and no mc) and loosing 45 lbs, I went to a track day at infineon expecting a shaky/rusty day and was amazed how much easier it was to ride hard. My legs were solid the whole day thru. I barely broke a sweat in the afternoon sessions and my focus/concentration was jedi like. I was smoother and faster from the minute my tires were warm.

My advice: pedal pedal pedal all the time. save the m/c for a track day treat.

Back