• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

We'll have to ride soon!

Yo Rich, Definitely!!

I usually do a 90 to 100+ mile ride on the Redwood/Pinehurst/Syline/ Five Canyons pkwy loop every saturday. I'm usually by myself and would love some company even for just part of the loops, when my mind starts to wander :laughing

So the Route is Redwood ROAD (corner of CAstro Valley blvd) up to Pinehurst
Pinehurst up to Skyline, left at Skyline and then left on Redwood to end up at Pinehurst again.

Then I repeat that route from Redwood and Pinehurst corner about 7 times then head back to Castro Valley then turning left on Seven Hills RD, Left on Meyer, Right on Center St (Endless Cycles), left on Castro Valley Blvd then right on FIVE CANYONS Pkwy for the last hill then take it up all the way till it turns into D st then I go home from there to San Lorenzo via A street.

Total Mileage for me is around 105-110 miles elevation gain about 6000+ ft (highest at 1550-1700) . It's a nice comfy romp in our own backyard. It takes about 7+ hours pedalling.

During the week, I'll do 2-3 times on that loop but just ride about 50-60 miles only. Total pedal time is about 5 hours. I have flexible working hours.

Just PM me or Facebook message and I can hook up with you if you want to join or if anyone wants to join me for that matter feel free to PM me or post here.

I don't know how they get the prices so low, but try http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm

they've got great prices. for 1500, you could get a full carbon 105.

components are one thing, you can upgrade those later, but it's the initial investment, money spent on the frame that really counts.

Problem with ordering online is that assembly is required, and bike fitting costs $50-100. Buying a LBS, it is usually included.

Yo Rich, Definitely!!

I usually do a 90 to 100+ mile ride on the Redwood/Pinehurst/Syline/ Five Canyons pkwy loop every saturday. I'm usually by myself and would love some company even for just part of the loops, when my mind starts to wander :laughing

So the Route is Redwood ROAD (corner of CAstro Valley blvd) up to Pinehurst
Pinehurst up to Skyline, left at Skyline and then left on Redwood to end up at Pinehurst again.

Then I repeat that route from Redwood and Pinehurst corner about 7 times then head back to Castro Valley then turning left on Seven Hills RD, Left on Meyer, Right on Center St (Endless Cycles), left on Castro Valley Blvd then right on FIVE CANYONS Pkwy for the last hill then take it up all the way till it turns into D st then I go home from there to San Lorenzo via A street.

Total Mileage for me is around 105-110 miles elevation gain about 6000+ ft (highest at 1550-1700) . It's a nice comfy romp in our own backyard. It takes about 7+ hours pedalling.

During the week, I'll do 2-3 times on that loop but just ride about 50-60 miles only. Total pedal time is about 5 hours. I have flexible working hours.

Just PM me or Facebook message and I can hook up with you if you want to join or if anyone wants to join me for that matter feel free to PM me or post here.

That is some serious millage. Are you training for something, or just for fun.

That is some serious millage. Are you training for something, or just for fun.

For now just for fun and fitness. I also run for the same reasons.

I try to do at the least 200 miles cycling and 50 miles running a week.

For now just for fun and fitness. I also run for the same reasons.

I try to do at the least 200 miles cycling and 50 miles running a week.

That's not fun. Sell it to yourself anyway you need to, to make it sound better but you should probably replace the word "fun" with "masochism." :twofinger :rofl

That's not fun. Sell it to yourself anyway you need to, to make it sound better but you should probably replace the word "fun" with "masochism." :twofinger :rofl

maybe a little bit of both then :laughing

But honestly, I don't really go all that fast. I just grind away. I love to climb up more than I liked to descend. That's where I know I'm burning.

I don't see myself doing any event anytime soon though. However, I am eyeing one for next year but we'll see how my swimming skills go. It is teh suxxors right now.

maybe a little bit of both then :laughing

But honestly, I don't really go all that fast. I just grind away. I love to climb up more than I liked to descend. That's where I know I'm burning.

I don't see myself doing any event anytime soon though. However, I am eyeing one for next year but we'll see how my swimming skills go. It is teh suxxors right now.

My swimming skills leave much to be desired, but I'm manage to get by. Maybe give it try in a short-distance, non-competitive event. I did a couple of Tri for Funs last year ---> http://www.onyourmarkevents.com/events-new.asp

I bought a mid 1980's Centurion Elite RS 12 speed bike today. I will use it as my commuter bike to and from the train station to work. The bike was cheap and fairly clean. Not the latest and greatest bike, nor is it as fast as my motobecane, it is however inexpensive and I hope to be reliable.

Attachments

• 3n93p53od5V65P15S3b6i0b367db85f481451.jpg
    3n93p53od5V65P15S3b6i0b367db85f481451.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 210
I have decided to buy a quality bike that fits properly to do my 75 - 100 miles a week.

It is almost entirely on paved surfaces (although there are a lot of great dirt road rides), usually done on 4 days of the week (20ish miles at a time).

The local bike guru recommended this model or something similar:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bike...en/bikes/mountain/dual_sport/ds_series/utopia

He said that I wouldn't see much benefit going to a pure road bike or dedicated cyclocross bike because I have no interest in racing or speed, just fitness.

What say you bicycle gurus?

I have decided to buy a quality bike that fits properly to do my 75 - 100 miles a week.

It is almost entirely on paved surfaces (although there are a lot of great dirt road rides), usually done on 4 days of the week (20ish miles at a time).

The local bike guru recommended this model or something similar:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bike...en/bikes/mountain/dual_sport/ds_series/utopia

He said that I wouldn't see much benefit going to a pure road bike or dedicated cyclocross bike because I have no interest in racing or speed, just fitness.

What say you bicycle gurus?

Well if you are going to ride primarily on paved roads there really is no need for front suspension. Just one more thing to break, plus at that price range I don't think the quality is all that high. More then likely it will be like a pogo stick, zapping power and just annoying.

As for disk breaks. Well the debate is about the same as should motorcycles have ABS breaks. Personally I think for road usage it's an overkill and just falls under the category of one more thing that can break, and adds cost.

As for flat bars. Sure they might look more comfortable then the fancy shmancy drop bars, but they lack in the number of hand positions. Although with some bar extenders that can be alleviated.

Personally I would get the best bike, component wise, in my budget with 700c wheels and no suspension. Maybe something like this: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1102344_-1_20000__400316

Last edited:
Road bikes for the road. Everything about a road bike is built for a human being to travel in comfort and for long distance. The nice ones are lighter and stiffer. Anything that doesnt look like Lances bike is not a good bike for the road.
You've been warned. Good Luck. Make sure it fits right. If they put you on like on a sofa thats not right and will suck after 8 miles. Youve been warned again. gods speed.

Here's an excellent example of exactly what not to ask about sizing and exactly how not to recomend sizing a bike.
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371614

Last edited:
Its cuz Ive seen a million people get so excited about road biking only to lose a ton of money and put away the shitty bike they bought cuz it sucked to ride for one of a handful of reasons.

But I dont argue with people on the internet about it anymore though.....

Road bikes for the road. Everything about a road bike is built for a human being to travel in comfort and for long distance. The nice ones are lighter and stiffer. Anything that doesnt look like Lances bike is not a good bike for the road.
You've been warned. Good Luck. Make sure it fits right. If they put you on like on a sofa thats not right and will suck after 8 miles. Youve been warned again. gods speed.

Here's an excellent example of exactly what not to ask about sizing and exactly how not to recomend sizing a bike.
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371614

Obviously fit is important, but are you really telling me that only a Trek Madone branded bike is the only one people should ride on the road?

What would be your suggestion for the right model/brand of bicycle for someone not interested in 70 mile days or racing?

Sorry I wasn't clear. The brand isn't important. You dont have to get a Trek Madone. You can get a Cannondale or Cervelo or Giant or whatever looks best. The name isn't too important.

Sorry I wasn't clear. The brand isn't important. You dont have to get a Trek Madone. You can get a Cannondale or Cervelo or Giant or whatever looks best. The name isn't too important.

But how can one pose in front of the charbucks without the Fancy Shamncy Madone? :wtf

I wouldn't take cycling advice from someone who said this.

In all seriousness, if you were to recommend a couple of bikes for a 6'3", 250lb, Fit (I have a gut, but exercise regularly) person who wanted to ride on the road 100 miles a week, and wanted to spend less than $1,000, what would you suggest?

Even within the brands you mentioned, there are dozens of choices. It is all very confusing.

Last edited:
Back