• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Lemme get back to you after work today.

K, first thing is you want to ride 100 miles a week. To cover that distance and have fun you're really gonna want a proper road bike. The hybrid that you posted would be something I'd use for a 2 mile commute/gym/safeway. Road bikes are meant to be efficiant and every little thing about tem helps a ton. You gotta remember that you're less than 1hp so every little bit that you get robbed of goes a long way. (But asshole!!! I commute to work in a truck, not a Porsche and it's fine) Well thats true. But the truck does all the work for you. You jsut sit there and dont have to physically pay the penalty of how inneficiant that truck is.

Regarding your budget. All but one frame in your budget are gonna be exactly the same. Nothing special. All but one are made the same way at the same place. You should only pick one over the other depending on whats on sale/what comes in your size/which name brand youve been convinced is worlds better than everything else. Frames start feeling different at the $2k-$5k range. (just the frame price, not the complete bike)
The huge exception is gonna be the canondale Caad8, Caad9 (discontinued), Caad10. The first two are a bit heavy but extremely fast (efficiant, easy to pedal) responsive and fun.....and crashable. Dudes racing on a budget will be on one of these bikes cuz shere performance/$ cannot even come close to anything else. I've put a Barfer and Barfers smokin hot girlfriend on a Caad10 and I think theyve been very satisfied. They also werent too expirienced so they don't really comprehend how much more awesome their bikes are then other stuff in there price range. I also bought a Caad10 with my own money when I can have pretty mch whatever I want, so that should tell you something about how much I like it. The aluminum frames do ride a bit more rough over broken pavement but at your weight youre not gonna feel shit. I put a hot little number on a small one and she has no complaints about ride comfort....but mainly cuz she hasn't been spoiled by high grade carbon fiber.

Components. Do not go lower than "105" bike. Dont get tiagra/sora. Dont get 9 or 8 speed. 9 and 8 speeds shift like crap at this price. Unfortiantly bikes this cheap that do come with 105 are mixed. You'll get 105 shifters/ FD/RD/ and cassete. The brakes and crank will be some FSA crap. Youll like them jsut fine till you try you friends bike with better stuff. Since your spending this much you should be getting something thats worth upgrading and fun to ride. If you get a shitty frame itll still be shitty to ride even with Campy Super Record and MadFiber wheels.

Sizing is very important. I hate giving sizing info without seeing you on the bike/trainer. The Effective Top Tube legnth and head legnth are most important. Dont worry about the "size" number or seat tube legnth. All that is infanetly adjustible. The top tube isn't. The 2 inches to the croth test is complete nonsense cuz it has nothing to do with you sitting and riding a bike. You can get acompact Giant in your size and becasue of theire stupid sloping tubes youll have 10 feet between you and the top tube. Most newbs get a bike thats one or two sizes too bieg cuz they dont know (or the shop employee) how to sit on a bike and be comfy and efficiant after 8 miles.

Many people of the the same height can ride a few different frame. Ill tell you im well proportioned and ride a 59 effective Top tube and a 130 stem with a 19 Head TUbe. Those are really the only important numbers. I can also ride a 60 frame witha 120 stem. Or a 61 frame with a 110 stem...see where this is going. Its important to get the smallest frame that you can properly fit on because a smaller frame is lighter and stiffer by definition. Ive put 6 ft guys on 54's 56's and one on a 58 cuz he was stupid long up top. You wanna ride something with a 110 to a 130 stem. Taht way the bike handles how it was designed to handle. The longer the stem the slower the steering. the shorter the stem the sharper. If you go to short the sterring is twitchy. Too long and the steering is dead and you will flex everything from leverage. AS you get more expirience sitting correctly, your body will want to naturally lean down and stretch forward. It will actually be less combfortable sitting upright. Much more combfortable leaning down and not having to use your back and arms to support you. When you see a bike with bars that are level with the bars or higher thats plain wrong. Watch them ride and their elbows will be locked. Theyll also be slow and tired. Ive put super expirience Lance's on the exact frame they need with a 120 or 130 stem depending on what they prefer in a corner. Ill put complete newbs on a bike thats a little hair too big because after a few months they will want to go longer and lower.....naturally. Not cuz they want to look cooler.

Based on your height and weight (and me not seeing you on a bike.....and I would never tell anyone what size they need without seeing them on the bike) youd need anything from a 58 top tube to a 60 top tube. The reason I mention Effective top tube is cuz everyone use different size. A cannondale size 60 has a 59 top. Someone else size 60 could have have a 58 or 60 or whatever. I also have a size 61 Felt that has a 60 TT taht I run with a 110 stem and long reach bars.

When fitting its important that the fitter knows how someone should sit on a bike. Not jsut read a chart.

If you want a bike like you pictured dont spend more than $400 cuz itll be jsut as good as the one for $900. The bikes I mentioned you could get for $1200 to $1500 or less if you let me know a few months ago. If it helps Ive fit a million people and refit even more. Not once has anyone complained. Not once. I also got a bunch of Starbuck gift cards as thank you's. Youll talk to people who will say the complete opposite of what I've said. It's up to you to figure out who you want to belive. If you want, Im more than happy to go to a shop with you and put you on a bike. This way you can compare to different fittings back to back. If you look carefully on the pro races on tv youll see that their bikes (except for TT bikes) are set up very similarly. This isn't because they want to suffer and get a .056% aero advantage. Its becuase this is the best way a person can do a 10 day, 90 mile per day event without being in pain. If you decide to get a bike like you pictured dont get disk brakes or suspension. Itll only make it suck more.

Gluck. No matter how big a boss you are $1k is a lot of money to throw away.

Last edited:
I like UD Riders suggestion on the Scattante. A nice stout hybrid with 9speed mountain bike based gearing and a strong set of wheels with some good quality large volume tires is the way to go for a general fitness bike.
Mountain gears are nice for getting us tubbies up the big hills around here. You have to spend a lot on a road bike before you start getting wheels that are going to hold up well to 250lbs, so hybrid wheels are the better choice.
Plenty of room for fenders and eyelets for racks are nice. Hopefully you will start to use the bike for more than just fitness, and full fenders kick ass in the winter time.

It's the toyota camry of bicycles. Solid reliable transportation.
After a year or two of enthusiastic biking, splurge on something fast and sexy.

At 6'3", you need something really large with a hybrid. 22-23" frame, XL, 63cm, however they want to measure it. Buy it big.

Performance is a so-so place to buy a bike. Great prices, and my local Performance has some good guys working there, but often it's a crap shoot.

Buy online and bring it to me for free assembly and fitting. BikesDirect.com is really cheap and the quality of the 5 or 6 bikes I have done for friends and barfers has been surprisingly good.

As always, free repair/fitting/whatever/ for all they great people on BARF.
Gregory
I'm in Concord

My new rig...

Just built up...

Project Black:
- 2010 Cannondale US-made CAAD9 frameset 54cm (Premium carbon fork/steer tube)
- 2011 SRAM Force gruppo
- Cane Creek headset
- Thomson X2 stem/Masterpiece seatpost/seat collar
- Ritchey Logic Curve UD carbon bar
- Selle SMP Evolution Carbon
- Crank Brothers Eggbeater 2 pedals
- Ritchey Superlogic carbon clinchers w/ titanium skewers
- Reynolds blue brake pads
- Continental GP4000S 700X23 tires
- Fizik Microtex bar tape
- Blackburn carbon bottle cage

Took the stealth fighter on her maiden voyage yesterday... a brisk 28-miler through our local roads. SOLID, fast bike. The CAAD9 frame is super stiff but the carbon bar, wheels and saddle rails really neutralized any high-frequency vibration. She tracked really well around the tight corners (the Contis are sticky!) and felt very confident. I have to say - I LOVE the Ritchey Superlogic carbon wheelset! They are absolutely smooth, solid and fast spinners. Rear hub is a bit noisier than others but does in no way hinder performance. Reynolds brake pads (new blue) work great on the carbon brake surface and displayed no gabbiness or squeal. Overall, I'm very happy with the build - a perfect complement to the white Madone 6.9 in the stable.

:thumbup

Last edited:
^^^ Good for you and Congrats!!! That thing should be stupid fast. I love the SMP type saddle. They have a full carbon one thats waaaaayyyyyy overpriced but is even more comfy and way lighter. See if you can steal one.

Thanks! She'll be my go-to rig from here on. I'll keep the Madone 6.9 as my climbing bike since it's lighter and has a compact crankset. But for everything else, the new Cannondale will get the job done quickly...

The Selle SMP Evo I have is the carbon railed version. Not lighter than my previous saddles from San Marco & Selle Italia, but lighter than others from SMP. The weird "beak" feature seems to work so far in terms of relief in that region. But I'm still assessing it... Will know more after then next 50+miler...

So far, so great... :)

^^^ Good for you and Congrats!!! That thing should be stupid fast. I love the SMP type saddle. They have a full carbon one thats waaaaayyyyyy overpriced but is even more comfy and way lighter. See if you can steal one.

haha Ive got too much fancy stuff also. My caad10 is what I've been using everyday. Still can't decide on how to build it (I mean keep it a certain build, not rebuild every Sunday)

They should not combine 4 and 5 field on a technical course. lol. Yey for road rash and untrued wheels.

They should not combine 4 and 5 field on a technical course. lol. Yey for road rash and untrued wheels.

:laughing:laughing:laughing I always thought 5 in general was a blood bath.
Complete begginers with no power or handeling combined with overly strong powerhouses with no handling.

Noat as bad as 1 2 3 womens though.

:laughing:laughing:laughing I always thought 5 in general was a blood bath.
Complete begginers with no power or handeling combined with overly strong powerhouses with no handling.

Noat as bad as 1 2 3 womens though.

Not sure about women 1 2 3, but yeah pretty much describes Men Cat 4/5. :laughing

Anyway, AFM kit looks quite nice. :thumbup

Attachments

• berkeley_race_clipped.jpg
    berkeley_race_clipped.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 95
brah you cant judge shitty aluminum against steel. Go sprint and climb a caad 8, 9 or 10 and then make a desicion. (Im gettin me a nice steel bike too)

it was too good of a deal to pass up. its half carbon. the fork and rear triangle. Just the components are worth more than what i paid for it.

Schwinn Sid (size small)

Got a Schwinn Sid for sale. Great condition - very little use. Actual pics will be uploaded later tonight, but the attached pic is what the bike looks like.

Asking only $225 OBO.

Bicycle Type - Cruiser
MSRP (new) - $499.99
Weight - Unspecified
Sizes- Small/Large
Colors Red, Lt. Blue

Frame & Fork:
Frame Construction - Unspecified
Frame Tubing Material - Steel
Fork Brand & Model - Schwinn
Fork Material - Unicrown

Components:
Component Group - Shimano Coasting
Brakeset - Shimano coaster rear
Shift Levers - Shimano Coasting 3-speed automatic
Front Derailleur - Not applicable
Rear Derailleur - Not applicable
Crankset - Schwinn Forged One Piece, 46 teeth
Pedals - Schwinn Bow Tie
Bottom Bracket - One piece
BB Shell Width - Unspecified
Rear Cogs - 3-speed internal, 22 teeth
Chain - Unspecified
Seatpost - Steel pillar
Saddle - Schwinn Sport Logo Dual Spring
Handlebar - Phantom Alloy
Handlebar Stem - Phantom Alloy
Headset - Unspecified

Wheels:
Hubs - Shimano Coasting
Rims - Alloy
Tires - 700 x 32c
Spoke Brand - Unspecified
Spoke Nipples - Unspecified

Great link from Park Tools on Shimano's Coasting System: http://www.parktool.com/blog/calvins-corner/shimano-coasting-system

Last edited:
Back