• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

I just bought the mountain pedals and they were suggested to me because I've never used the cleat & pedal system. .

If you really think about it, that either makes no sense or is actually bad advice, depending on what you want to argue. I don't understand what your third
sentence says:(

Last edited:
To clarify:

I recently purchased the egg beaters. A couple fellow riders suggested them to me as I have been using toe clips for years but wanted to change to clipless pedals. They were of the opinion eggbeaters might be more newbie friendly that other styles of clipless pedals. I have road shoes that are compatible with the eggbeaters. I can have the pedals adjusted so that there is less float.

Here's the pedal: http://bit.ly/eSQdAt
and my shoes: http://bit.ly/fahBgV

Last edited:
The Android app? I just keep mine in my pocket and download the data after the ride. It's pretty neat!

http://app.strava.com/rides/333855

Ok I didn't phrase it correctly. I don't really need or want more data from my rides. :laughing

Anyway did hill repeats today on Kings in hopes of getting in to some kind of shape for Wente. Practiced descending also, was doing around 30 through some of the switchbacks near the end, around 35-37 in other parts. I hope I can keep up on the climbs and descents. Well for Wente descending shouldn't be a big issue it's short and not very technical, but for Mt. Hamilton and Pescadero it becomes more important.

Does anyone here have a bike trainer I could borrow or rent for a while? I'm in SF proper. I'd like to be able to ride in my back yard while my kid gardens or what have you.

If so, PM me.

Pre-road the Wente course. Weather was weird, well NorCal weather. There is one right hand decreasing radius corner. Last year I was crappy bricks trying to take it at low 20s almost blowing it. That was a month after a crash. Yesterday I was taking it at 29mph on wet pavement and slight rain. Oh how things changed. :teeth

I'll be doing the Redwood, Pinehurst, Skyline (to the wall) route tomorrow morning (thu, May 18th) at 9am. I'll pass by PEET's on Redwood Road at around 9:15 - 9:30 if anyone wants to do the loop or part of it.

I'll be in the Celeste White BIANCHI. Just give me the Barf salute so I'll know you're down. :teeth

BTW, I'm slow...but I'll grind it up there.

Mt. Hamilton RR, so which one of you crazy bastards is in? My goal is not to die on descent. :laughing

Wanted to drop in and say hello!

I've been MTB for 2 years and thinking about picking up my first roadie.

What you think:

2010 CAAD9 6 with Tiagra components for $899, brand new.

What you think:

I like Cannondales! :thumbup

I'll be doing the Redwood, Pinehurst, Skyline (to the wall) route tomorrow morning (thu, May 18th) at 9am. I'll pass by PEET's on Redwood Road at around 9:15 - 9:30 if anyone wants to do the loop or part of it.

I'll be in the Celeste White BIANCHI. Just give me the Barf salute so I'll know you're down. :teeth

BTW, I'm slow...but I'll grind it up there.

We'll have to ride soon!

I road bike on the Air Bike... 2hp weedeater motor and prop produce 12 lbs of thrust at 8,000 rpms...

airbike_enlarge.jpg

I'm a decent road rider in Hayward/Castro Valley. I'm new to the area so if anyone wants to do a ride and show me some new local favorites I'd love to do some pedaling and chit-chatting.

Does anyone know of an (simple if possible) Android supported app. that will strictly measure altitude gain/loss/current.

Don't need all the bells and whistles. Just altitude. :teeth

Thanx

Don't know if you found something yet...I use mytracks. It also shows the typical stuff like time, distance, avg speed, and it shows you max elevation, min elevation, percentage, total climb, total descent, and an altitude graph. Then you can upload it to google documents where you can see cumulative totals for everything you've done. It's really easy to use even for technologically challenged people.

Last edited:

What you think:

Get the CAAD9 5...has the better 105 groupset.

But the 9 6 is more in my price range. Was thinking I can just ride for a year or two then upgrade to the new components later.

I got quoted for a 105 groupset with pro build at ~$1500 at my LBS :wow

I don't know how they get the prices so low, but try http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm

they've got great prices. for 1500, you could get a full carbon 105.

components are one thing, you can upgrade those later, but it's the initial investment, money spent on the frame that really counts.

That's the reason why I'm leaning toward the CAAD9 6. Read some reviews, great frame to upgrade components on. The bike felt great the 7 times I test rode it, my LBS is getting kinda tired seeing me in their store.

Back