• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

I just started road biking about a month ago and am really enjoying it. I fixed up one of my dad's old bikes (cheaper trek from 05) and started riding that and really enjoyed it.

Went out and bought a used 5-6 year old carbon fiber dura ace bike and absolutely am having a blast on it. So smooth and so much easier to go fast (for me at least).

Only downside is riding a bicycle is a lot more expensive than I thought!

Anyone in capitola/santa cruz want to go on some rides?

I'm pretty fresh so nothing too crazy but I like to get out. :D

Which fields are you going to be racing in?

The slooow ones.

Sea Otter Classic - Women's Cyclocross - CAT 3-4

Sea Otter Classic - Women's Circuit Race - Cat 4

Sea Otter Classic - Men's Circuit Race - Cat 5 Masters all age groups 35 - 99

Sea Otter Classic - Men's Road Race - Cat 5 Masters all age groups 35 - 99

That's a lot of riding regardless of the category!

Be sure to be warmed up before the cat 5 races, they like to hammer the first few minutes for some reason.

The slooow ones.

Sea Otter Classic - Women's Cyclocross - CAT 3-4

Sea Otter Classic - Women's Circuit Race - Cat 4

Sea Otter Classic - Men's Circuit Race - Cat 5 Masters all age groups 35 - 99

Sea Otter Classic - Men's Road Race - Cat 5 Masters all age groups 35 - 99

Umm...?

That's a lot of riding regardless of the category!

Be sure to be warmed up before the cat 5 races, they like to hammer the first few minutes for some reason.

It's not just 5's. :laughing

Broke my rear fender yesterday. :( Not sure what happened. Now need to order a new one before rains start again. heh.

For Christmas, I got Gatorskins for the Focus (love SSF roads), a helmet with a shell better-matched to the size, and a sunny, if cold, ride with m'boy. I didn't get the Jeep to get out of the fecking way on the OLH descent, though. :twofinger

qz16ar.jpg

u7m0n.jpg

(The Focus was, of course, the early Christmas gift, now with 250 miles. :teeth )

First race of 2012 in one week.

For Christmas, I got Gatorskins for the Focus (love SSF roads), a helmet with a shell better-matched to the size, and a sunny, if cold, ride with m'boy. I didn't get the Jeep to get out of the fecking way on the OLH descent, though. :twofinger

(The Focus was, of course, the early Christmas gift, now with 250 miles. :teeth )

First race of 2012 in one week.
Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong but I've probably got AT LEAST 30,000 miles on the road and it has never once occured to me to pull out my Full-Face DH helmet :wtf Am I missing something??? :rolleyes

Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong but I've probably got AT LEAST 30,000 miles on the road and it has never once occured to me to pull out my Full-Face DH helmet :wtf Am I missing something??? :rolleyes

A bad fall with a faceplant. Lets be realistic here, usual road helmets are mostly for show.

A bad fall with a faceplant. Lets be realistic here, usual road helmets are mostly for show.
They've always worked for me. :thumbup But I guess my face isn't pretty enough to try and protect anyway. :rofl :rofl

But seriously, a full-face DH helmet is a bit overkill, dontja tink???

They've always worked for me. :thumbup But I guess my face isn't pretty enough to try and protect anyway. :rofl :rofl

But seriously, a full-face DH helmet is a bit overkill, dontja tink???

It's all in how someone falls. I crashed plenty of time, haven't hit my head yet. Doesn't mean that my next crash won't result in me hitting my nugging on the pavement. Really it's all about how much risk one personally is willing to take. Some ride without a helmet, I have been known to do that, others with a roadie helmet, me usually, others with full face helmet as it offers protection for the lower part of the face. :dunno In the end someone might end up becoming a road kill from massive internal injuries because a driver was too busy texting. In which case kind of pointless what helmet they were wearing. :laughing

Whatever she's comfy with is fine....doesn't mean I won't giggle as I pass by but that shouldn't matter. I ride with out a helmet most of the time. It's really stupid thing to do. I get a lot of women yelling at me that I'll get hurt as they tip over at every stop sign, ride with loose hubs, loose headsets, and frayed brake cables.

Crashed my motorcycle at a good clip wearing dress khaki's...not a mark on my legs. Still shouldn't crash in khaki's though.
Everyone should do whatever they're comfy with cuz getting a 13 pound bike to 50mph in your lingerie is already pretty dumb to begin with. Judging someone elses safty habits is pointless.

Last edited:
Whatever she's comfy with is fine....doesn't mean I won't giggle as I pass by but that shouldn't matter. I ride with out a helmet most of the time. Judging someone elses safty habits is pointless.

Not necessarily judging just "gigling" in type.
You however I am judging, YOU'RE a Friggen moron for not wearing a helmet. (now that was judging)

Everyone should do whatever they're comfy with cuz getting a 13 pound bike to 50mph in your lingerie is already pretty dumb to begin with.
Agreed, that's why whenever I'm healthy enough I ride a 28 pound bike with as much gear as I can possibly stand. :thumbup

Yeah, I'd rather see someone with a full face than no helmet (no matter how awesome it feels)
However, I will judge you on rocking areobars...

Hello! I was hoping if I can get any input as I don't have any close friends that ride mtn or road bikes & I'm about to drop some serious $$$ (to me) on my first ever road bike. Some background on me: I've had my Costco bought mtn bike for the last ~15 - 20 yrs, and I normally ride ~15 mi (50% climbing) every other day for supplemental fitness.

Lately, I've been thinking of upgrading to a road bike as, let's face it, my mtn bike is pretty old and I want to eventually start increasing my mileage. Recently, I went to my local sporting goods store (Sports Chalet) and was talking to the guy working at the bike dept & he was saying how CF road bikes aren't as durable / doesn't last as long as Al. Is there any validity to this? While I was there, he showed me a KHS Flite 300 aluminum road bike. Weighing in at ~24 lbs, the pedal effort was unreal. Of course I was indoors and on a leveled surface, but I couldn't believe how effortless riding a semi-light bike was as compared to my daily steel behemoth! lol

On Sat, I went to Performance Bike Shop in Mountain View, and saw a 2009 Fuji CCR-3 that was currently on sale for $999. I'm a shorter guy, at 5'2" on a good day; so it being size 44 cm frame seemed like a good fit. (There were no pedals attached so I wasn't able to ride around.) Unfortunately, I did see another bike next to it, a 2011 GT GTR Expert for $1999.99 that has upgraded ultegra components (the ccr-3 has tiagra) and honestly, the GT bike felt lighter even as the frame is a size medium compared to the xs CCR-3. (The gt gtr weighed in a little over 16 lbs, but I would need a size xs) I spoke with a salesguy and he stated with the ccr-3, it is outfitted with lower components so basically I'm just paying for a carbon frame. Knowing myself, I will most likely upgrade to ultegra drivetrain. He then further stated that the cost of upgrading to ultegra would surpass what it would cost for the gt gtr expert, so that got me into thinking of just getting that from the get go.

I understand that coming from a 20 yr old, 40 lbs steel lower end mtn bike; any current road bike even with Sora components would be a huge upgrade for me- but I want something that I can keep for a few years. Do you think it would be better to go with the CCR-3? Or should I blow caution to the wind and go for the gtr expert? I do have to admit that aesthetically, I do prefer the gtr. Any other bike recommendations would be greatly appreciated. (I did see our very own barfer "Kickstand" co-owns Cyclepath in San Mateo, so I will be making a visit prior to any purchase.) Thanks!

Looks like they increased the price for the ccr-3 by $500. =(
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1099001_-1_1591008_20000_400296

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1098109_-1_20000__400315

CF frames are durable enough. Sounds like a guy had some old prejudice.

My 2 cent on first road bike is the same as when people ask what's a good first motorcycle. Get something reliable on a cheaper side. You might not like road bikes in general, or what geometry/components works for you.

I have two road bikes. My old CAAD8, now a rain bike, and CF bike I use for racing/good weather. The only original parts on CAAD8 are fork and frame, and CF was build ground up. Both running SRAM because I like the hoods better.

Looks like GTR has asymmetric head tube. Personally not a big fan of those. Might be hard to find replacement fork when the need arises or you just want to upgrade.

For fit check out this calculator to get a better idea of sizes that will work for you:
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

Back