• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Because the fenders are on the shitty bike! :twofinger

I'm already, wet, cold, and miserable. I don't wanna add to that by being on a shitty bike. Rather be on a fancy good bike........which is is still smarter than getting in a warm car getting somewhere quickly and safely.

Hey my rain bike isn't shitty. :x I used to race on that CAAD8.

It's perfect rain bike, black so all the crap doesn't stand out since I never wash it. :laughing

I love the guys that have no issue at all dropping $14k to get a bike thats 800 grams lighter than a cheap, shitty $9k bike......but will also ride around with a 1,000 grams of dirt and greased caked on to every crevice underneath the bike....and ride with huge 3lb strap-ons.

I love the guys that have no issue at all dropping $14k to get a bike thats 800 grams lighter than a cheap, shitty $9k bike......but will also ride around with a 1,000 grams of dirt and greased caked on to every crevice underneath the bike....and ride with huge 3lb strap-ons.

I am not one of those guys. :twofinger If it works, it's good enough for me. :laughing

Will do tonight. Gotta see what I've got. Brand new and like new Ultegra 6700 for sure and other stuff too.

I have Tektro crap on my bike. If you have any extra sets of Ultegra 6700 calipers, I might be interested.

I'm already, wet, cold, and miserable. I don't wanna add to that by being on a shitty bike. Rather be on a fancy good bike........which is is still smarter than getting in a warm car getting somewhere quickly and safely.

I'm such a pansy that I just won't ride in wet weather anymore. It doesn't help that my shitty bike is the one with fenders, and I haven't touched my shitty bike since I bought my CAAD10 late last year.

New record for me today. Descending 84 towards Woodside passed vintage Triumph, a car and a scooter. I felt like a complete asshole for some reason. :laughing

Have any of you east bayers that live in or around concord pittsburg gone over kirker pass. I am going to give it a shot this coming weekend and was just wondering if its as bad as I am thinking it will be. If its not to bad then I'll end up taking marsh creek into Antioch back to pittsburg.

New record for me today. Descending 84 towards Woodside passed vintage Triumph, a car and a scooter. I felt like a complete asshole for some reason. :laughing

I love to pass cars on techincal descents. KMR is good for that. :)

What a difference a weekend makes! It's actually nice out.

I didn't go a bazillion miles an hour down the hill; the GPS says I topped out just under 43mph.

2584gmv.jpg

33msztv.jpg

25s9y7p.jpg

I just had the worst commute home that didn't involve a collision of some sort, unless you count a collision with a stray plastic bag.

Said stray plastic bag got caught up in the rear derailleur, and the RD got ripped right off the bike, but not before putting a dent on the right side seat stay, snapping the RD cable, and mangling up the chain. I had to walk back 15-20 yards from where I finally stopped to find the RD. I'm surprised I didn't fall off the bike or worse.

Some pics:

6814490498_5b272463ce_b.jpg

6960596675_0286d1a5c2_b.jpg

6814483620_1c3d85d207_b.jpg

6814485464_a19947057d_b.jpg

6960600203_4ab9cd0034_b.jpg

6960600881_be59649112_b.jpg

6960601811_97ee81714b_b.jpg

So I'm at a loss as to what to do. Will Cannondale warranty the frame? And, am I pretty much assed out on the components?

That sucks. Cannondale might offer "crash replacement" policy. What do you mean assed out on the components? All of them can be swapped to new frame. For crank just make sure BB is the same type, and head tube also.

That sucks. Cannondale might offer "crash replacement" policy. What do you mean assed out on the components? All of them can be swapped to new frame. For crank just make sure BB is the same type, and head tube also.

I meant in terms of having to shell out more $$$ for whatever component isn't salvageable, which upon 2nd glance, appears to just be the rear derailleur and chain. The rear wheel spokes are a bit scratched up, though.

I've never had to deal with this before, as in never crashed nor damaged any bike I've owned 'til now. I'll give the LBS where I bought the bike a call tomorrow for advice.

Is that chainstay bent and dented?... I can't tell if it's just scratched or if it took an impact.

Don't worry about the scratched spokes if they're not deep. The Spokes on those wheels are beefy and thick.

You could totally fix most if not all of it. Cannondale does offer a crash replacement price but it's not that great.
Joe's Bicycle painting and Calfee could easily fix the frame. Joe will be way cheaper and does excellent work.
Der. hangers are designed to snap off so you don't crash or total your frame.

Is that chainstay bent and dented?... I can't tell if it's just scratched or if it took an impact.

Don't worry about the scratched spokes if they're not deep. The Spokes on those wheels are beefy and thick.

The chain stay appears fine; can't say the same for the seat stay.

Yeah, I've read that the Mavic Aksiums are pretty durable for a low-end wheelset.

@theAmazingKickstand - Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely look those places up in the morning when I'm feeling less bummed out.

The wheel should be fine. Just replace a few spokes. You'll probably be ok with just straightening any bent spokes with vice or big hammer. The Der. hanger will be about $30 and you could get it through Cannondale or a der. hanger company.
Lotsa times you can get one that's kinda sorta close enough and grind away at it until it fits but I completely do not recommend doing that just like I don't recommend bending the spoke back into shape.

Not too many places have those spokes in stock. I know Palo Alto Bikes did....haha and I have them too.......And I've got those same wheels somewhere too. You could also just use whatever straight pull spoke with a head big enough to sit in the the hub. Round spoke is fine too. You won't notice any of the aero performance loss.

edit: I can't really tell. Is the hub where the spokes sit messed up so that there's nothing to hold the spoke in place anymore?
edit part duex: oh it looks like the bag is just wrapped over the hub. Just swap a few spokes if you need to. Theyre about $4 a piece and I'm pretty sure you need the spoke wrench with the red handle for those nipples.

Last edited:
Question for the roadies - how does Sidi shoe sizing run, relative to boots? I run a consistent 36 in moto boots, including what few Sidi makes in that size, but in Pearl Izumi and Shimano shoes, I've found 36 to be a little tight and 38 to be the size I need (I have flat feet). Are Sidi shoes more in line with cycling shoes overall, or with their moto boots?

I found a pair of Sidis in 36 on FleaBay, and this would be a nice chance to increase my poseur points.

If your seat stay is aluminum there is fixing it. If it is not cracked, and the scratches aren't too deep, the frame should be fine to ride. The seat stays don't take most of the torque, and if it were to break while you're riding, it probably wouldn't be dangerous.

Back