• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

I just started riding maybe 6 months ago? I rode with fixed cleats when I first started riding and messed up one knee (usually could get 20-30 miles and then it would really start to hurt).

I know I don't have everything aligned perfectly by a pro fitter or anything but I run speedplays now with the non centering float and don't get knee pain anymore. I need to get everything fit well but for now I am glad to be able to ride longer distances without pain.

Unless your pedals are set up perfetly, you will probably injure yourself.

Maurice

I rode with fixed cleats when I first started riding and messed up one knee (usually could get 20-30 miles and then it would really start to hurt).

I know I don't have everything aligned perfectly .

Totally agree with you guys.

.....Cleat position issues usually make themselves known with a painful IT band. Saddle height and for and aft will usually cause pain in the front or back of the knee. This isn't 100% fact; just a most likely sorta thing.

Oh and two pairs of Diadora's and one pair of Carnacs just came in the mail. All are going back. Retarded fit for human feet. All the ratchets and straps have to be tightened to max and they're still too big. I'm not the only one with this complaint about many brands. I assumed this would happen but tried cuz I get free shipping at work.

Last edited:
Oh and two pairs of Diadora's and one pair of Carnacs just came in the mail. All are going back. Retarded fit for human feet. All the ratchets and straps have to be tightened to max and they're still too big. I'm not the only one with this complaint about many brands. I assumed this would happen but tried cuz I get free shipping at work.

Thanks for the feedback on the Diadoras... I wanted to pick up a pair for use with my SpeedPlay Zeros. I'd always loved my Diadora soccer shoes, so I thought I'd give them a shot.

^^^ I thought low end Sidi quality went down but you should see this junk they sent me from their top of the line collection. Carnacs a lot better than Diadora but both are cheaply made.

So, we did the Sonoma Gran Fondo on Saturday. What a snakebit ride.

The roads were super-goat trails in places, and I chipped a tooth. My Garmin 910XT, which has had a shutting-off problem since I (recently) got it, and the rep told me to just do a software reset to fix, shut off twice. My Gatorskins did their job, but m'boy got two flats (I'm getting good at roadside tube replacement).

The Garmin did stay on for the Dry Creek climb, which I discovered is rather evil. I did get 4th overall women's according to Strava and their own timing, so yay. My bike sounds rather rattly after all that, so I need to give it some love before the tri on Sunday.

2dj0y12.jpg

Here is a goofy ass picture of me from one of the races a week back. Probably doing something stupid, and of course posing in AFM kit. :laughing

Attachments

• golden_state_crit_medium.jpg
    golden_state_crit_medium.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 120
For someone who makes dumb decisions regarding safety gear on a daily basis, I'm blown away at the folks who do crits with out gloves. Not judgin' at all but.... potential ouch!!

For someone who makes dumb decisions regarding safety gear on a daily basis, I'm blown away at the folks who do crits with out gloves. Not judgin' at all but.... potential ouch!!

No kidding. Personally I can live with road rash on legs, but palms of the hand no so much.

The areodynamic advantage you have by not using gloves is pretty good. I remember reading that a college with a wind tunnel actually did some testing...

Keep in mind that it's a cat 4 field, and if they knew this stastic half the field would probably forego wearing gloves lol. Tearing up your hands is rough shit!

You look good, you're not on a wheel, but you look good :p

In a crit, I may use gloves because of the higher potential for NASCAR-style crashing. On cold or damp days, I use gloves. All other rides... I leave my gloves home. I prefer the feel of my controls sans gloves. Just personal preference I guess...

The areodynamic advantage you have by not using gloves is pretty good.:p

I remember reading that not wearing a helmet gives you a bigger aero advantage than the fanciest, heaviest, most aero wheels.:laughing I wear helmet and gloves while commuting, fast club ride, and rain. Going solo or with dudes I know I leave that stuff at home. I'd ride naked if they'd let me.

You look good, you're not on a wheel, but you look good :p

Thanks. Yeah I could have been closer, but honestly it's not the biggest issue. I can stay in top 10 entire race then in last 3 laps find myself mid pack. Like by damn magic. Sometimes it's like how the hell I got here. Others I consistently end up on wrong side of where move happens. Very frustrating.

On a side note. I always wear gloves. This way I can wipe the crap off the wheels as I ride along.

Saw today's stage on DVR. They skipped Mt. Diablo, but showed Patterson Pass. Part of the course is used for Paterson Pass RR. It was fun seeing pros climbing those roads. It was insane how they climbed that hill after they passed under 580, and before the Paterson Pass climb. It's short, but steep! They were flying up it! They also showed the final part of the climb. Really pictures don't do that part justice. It's very steep, in to headwind that really kicks up as you crest the hill. On final lap of Paterson RR people are zig zagging up that final part. The pros were just cranking over those pedals.

Saw today's stage on DVR. They skipped Mt. Diablo, but showed Patterson Pass. Part of the course is used for Paterson Pass RR. It was fun seeing pros climbing those roads. It was insane how they climbed that hill after they passed under 580, and before the Paterson Pass climb. It's short, but steep! They were flying up it! They also showed the final part of the climb. Really pictures don't do that part justice. It's very steep, in to headwind that really kicks up as you crest the hill. On final lap of Paterson RR people are zig zagging up that final part. The pros were just cranking over those pedals.

I decided to take a couple hours and watched the pro's on Monday ride on summit road and it was pretty incredible. The number of CHP and support vehicles was also crazy.

It was almost more fun to watch all the pissed off locals bitch and moan that they couldn't use the road. Watched some dude in a pickup who got in between the racers somehow argue with one of the race volunteers saying "but I live here!" and refusing to pull off the road. A group of bikes came by 30 seconds after they finally shoved him off the road. :laughing

Is anyone else in love with Cannondale's frame colors this year? For 30 years they've had some of the most offensive and unattractive baby puke green and black shit but this year isn't only better. It's like tops.

I decided to take a couple hours and watched the pro's on Monday ride on summit road and it was pretty incredible. The number of CHP and support vehicles was also crazy.

It was almost more fun to watch all the pissed off locals bitch and moan that they couldn't use the road. Watched some dude in a pickup who got in between the racers somehow argue with one of the race volunteers saying "but I live here!" and refusing to pull off the road. A group of bikes came by 30 seconds after they finally shoved him off the road. :laughing

Thats just sad, and unfortunate attitude like this will be the end of TOC. Never mind it bring tons of publicity and money to the state, it's "BUT I LIVE HERE AND I AM INCONVENIENCED FOR ONE DAY. STOP IT." heh.

When they rolled through Occidental for the first time, the marshal stopped some folk who were trying to drive through on a cross street. They got out of their cars to watch, and one of them had a son who was really excited to see those freaks of nature go roaring by. The sweepers at the end picked up the signs and got the roads moving just minutes after the riders passed. As inconveniences on a Sunday go, it seemed pretty minor.

I had never run with the peloton before, so we rode to the Coleman Valley KOM and I wore my goofy helmet and hot pants to cheer them on. Fun times.

Back