• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

No brah, it's a weird ass thing to post considering that I haven't said anything to you in months, and don't remember being a meany to you at all. Unregardless of how much or how little I know, at this point your opinion is that I know at least one unit more about bike junk than the avg. person. It's like me selling a crashed and repaired motorcycle and saying upfront I don't want Alanrider or GP Frame or that nice French couple from Evolution to say anything about it. Personally, if I'm selling any thirty seven hundred dollar item to my friends here on BARF instead of CL I welcome all questions, opinions, concerns, and criticisms. If I write an ad as glowing as yours I'll be able to easily defend every word of it and destroy and embarrass any incorrect critique. You kinda sounded as big of a wierdo as mcarb....you don't really wanna type cast yourself in that category.
No brah, it's a weird ass thing to post considering that I haven't said anything to you in months, and don't remember being a meany to you at all. Unregardless of how much or how little I know, at this point your opinion is that I know at least one unit more about bike junk than the avg. person. It's like me selling a crashed and repaired motorcycle and saying upfront I don't want Alanrider or GP Frame or that nice French couple from Evolution to say anything about it. Personally, if I'm selling any thirty seven hundred dollar item to my friends here on BARF instead of CL I welcome all questions, opinions, concerns, and criticisms. If I write an ad as glowing as yours I'll be able to easily defend every word of it and destroy and embarrass any incorrect critique. You kinda sounded as big of a wierdo as mcarb....you don't really wanna type cast yourself in that category.

Well, sorry bro, but the fact that you took it this deeply and were chatting about it at this level pretty much proves exactly what I was talking about. (and or what I was trying to avoid, Go FIGGA!) And maybe it has been a long since you've said anything to or about me or maybe you've never said anything to or about me at all, ...but that's because I rarely post anything here at all just because all the opinions being thrown around by people who think they know what they are talking about. (and or anyone or everyone who THINKS they have an opinion about anything) And yes, I know for a fact that you know a hell of a lot more than the average person, myself included, about road-bikes, but I do recall that sometime ago you got into it pretty deep on something "dirt related" and at some point you said something to the fact that you really didn't know that much about dirt. That's what I was talking about in concept for the most part, ... and I didn't really feel like having to do this or "defending myself." (kind of like I ended up doing anyway, which is once again, ... kind of the reason I don't post much here)

In this case, I genuinely knew that I had one ASS-KICKER of a toy/product (ie.,. a 22.10 pound lethal dose of full suspension race monster) and felt it genuinely worth showing to some of the peeps on Barf. I also knew that if you had ever heard anything at all relating to XC race-bikes, or Ibis, or carbon fiber, or a kid who got bit by a tic while riding his xc bike, or anything in the friggen world that ever passed you attention span related to XC bikes, that you would feel the need to post it along with your professional opinion. That's what I was trying to avoid. In hind site, that probably would have been easier than this so thanx for the lesson, which is; just don't friggen post of barf unless your ready to deal with EVERYONES opinion.

PS. I'm done. Should you feel the need to further tear me a knew one or tell everyone else how weird I am, ....knock yourself out. I'm signing off.

Ibis= fuck yeah!

Good luck with the sell, ibis makes some killer mountain frames.

Dipping my toe into this road bike pool this year for the first time. Even on old equipment, it's rather zen-like to pedal for hours and hours. :thumbup

Strangely, saw a Cannondale frame lying in the bike lane on a side road in Walnut Creek this morning about 6:45 a.m. Just the bare frame, no crank/wheels/seat/bars/brakes. How odd.

Ibis= fuck yeah!

Good luck with the sell, ibis makes some killer mountain frames.

I've got 2 of them. Believe me, ...I know.
Never thought I would love another frame enough to make me come home and strip all the parts off of my beloved Nomad, but then that Vixen Ibis walked through my door. :hail

I dunno if I just suck or because I have some sort of weird cold/sinus infection crap going on.

I tried riding on Saturday. Granted the beginning of the ride was ALL up hill. But I got to a point and I just gave up. No energy no desire. nothing left in my legs to get me where we were heading.

How the F am I going to do 65miles in August. :|

There are days when I just don't have it. I just slog through and let myself be misearable and tell myself it'll be better next time - and it is...

Spring rain time. I've been on the crappy bike a lot because I've been doing nothing on a bike but commuting lately. :p

4.jpg

I dunno if I just suck or because I have some sort of weird cold/sinus infection crap going on.

I tried riding on Saturday. Granted the beginning of the ride was ALL up hill. But I got to a point and I just gave up. No energy no desire. nothing left in my legs to get me where we were heading.

Piece of cake. YOU HAD A BAD DAY!!! Let it go. :teeth
You need to get together with a qualified bunch (ie. Team In Training) or at least a very qualified person who can walk you through everything *EVERYTHING* you need to slowly build the ride up. Proper schedule, proper nutrition, proper days off/on, there is so much more to it than just getting on the bike and riding.

And although "theAmazingKickstand" might not be chatty with me at the moment :( If you haven't got a good/QUALIFIED support group, he might be someone that could point you in the right direction.

Best of luck. Set your mind to it and it will happen.

There are days when I just don't have it. I just slog through and let myself be misearable and tell myself it'll be better next time - and it is...

Spring rain time. I've been on the crappy bike a lot because I've been doing nothing on a bike but commuting lately. :p

4.jpg

It's June. I don't think Spring rain is applicable anymore. Seriously WTF. Bay Area weather is getting weirder and weirder.

Oh yeah ride back is going to suck today. No fenders, just a rack. bleh.

When I am going on some awful climb (last one was Mt. Madonna rd, that was bad) you just have to tell yourself some stuff feels good because it's not easy.

There is nothing easy about the mountains in the BA - nothing. If you're only riding once or twice a week and not climbing, it'll be very difficult to get better at it.

My recommendation would be to find places to ride that aren't as challenging, to help get your confidence and legs going. Redwood Road in the EB is very good for this - not steep when it does climb and no long sustained climbs. You can drive your bike to the north end and do an out and back loop - prolly not much more than 10 miles. If you want to add a little mileage and challenge, you can turn up Pinehurst (brutal in places) and go as far as you want. It dead ends at Skyline and then you can turn left and end up back on Redwood. Or you can go the other way and turn up Joaquin Miller (?) on the north end of Redwood and turn again on Skyline. That climb is not too bad, as I remember...

It is true that just lying to yourself about liking it and feeling strong works, at least for me.

Lastly, I do not like climbing right out of the gate. I need 15-20 mins 'warm up' to feel happy.

Looking to cycle this weekend

Hi all -

I'm _really_ new to the area although I've visited a TON in the past, cycling is still pretty new to me around SF.

Soooo - this latest trip, I packed my helmet, shoes, gloves and riding gear figuring I'd just rent something from Blazing Saddles or something. Turns out because of the Tri event (escape from Alcatraz), their prices went from $78 a day to $300 (?!?!?!).

Any kind soul -
1 - interested in a ride somewhere between 40 and 60 miles (maybe longer)
2 - have a loaner willing to let a fellow rider borrow

Personally - I'd prefer it if someone was around that knew the area but I don't care.

There is nothing easy about the mountains in the BA - nothing. If you're only riding once or twice a week and not climbing, it'll be very difficult to get better at it.

True. For a few weeks I've been doing slow flat-land riding on a road bike, mostly 4-hr jaunts. Yesterday I thought "hey why not try Mt Diablo for the first time?"

Ouch. :laughing

Got third in the Omnium. Finally was able to pay for gas. :laughing
Plus a case of beer.

Last edited:
What the....beer is a bicycle prize? MY TRAINING STARTS NOW! :laughing

There is always beer, and wine, at races. Question is who is paying for it. :laughing

Tried half a bottle. Bleh, Reminded me why I don't drink. Pure bitterness.

Congratulations! :banana

Yea, beer is nasty. The bottle of white wine I got at the South Bay duathlon, though, was delicious. That was some quality swag.

I did a tri over the weekend, and their timing was fuxxored. They're still working on figuring out where we placed.

Congratulations! :banana

Yea, beer is nasty. The bottle of white wine I got at the South Bay duathlon, though, was delicious. That was some quality swag.

I did a tri over the weekend, and their timing was fuxxored. They're still working on figuring out where we placed.

Thank You. :)

Were they using timing chips? For our TT they were doing it, and times were off. Although from what I heard, at least for my category, they were consistently off. :laughing

Back