• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

200 miles of driving, waking up at 5:30 am, all for getting 10 bucks for placing and some kind of energy mix called EFS for prim in a 35 minute race. :rofl

When they rolled through Occidental for the first time, the marshal stopped some folk who were trying to drive through on a cross street. They got out of their cars to watch, and one of them had a son who was really excited to see those freaks of nature go roaring by. The sweepers at the end picked up the signs and got the roads moving just minutes after the riders passed. As inconveniences on a Sunday go, it seemed pretty minor.

I had never run with the peloton before, so we rode to the Coleman Valley KOM and I wore my goofy helmet and hot pants to cheer them on. Fun times.

On a flip side when they were holding that Grand Prix in SF few years back I saw martial literally standing in front of the car with foot on a bumper because the driver tried to roll through every time marshal tried to step a side. Maybe why they don't hold Grand Prix or opening TT for TOC in SF anymore. Too many whiners. When I was marshelling the TT, I had one young woman broke down in tears because she couldn't walk across the street and had to go extra block. :facepalm I felt bad for elderly who had to do it, but they were the most gracious. :thumbup

200 miles of driving, waking up at 5:30 am, all for getting 10 bucks for placing and some kind of energy mix called EFS for prim in a 35 minute race. :rofl

You're not a racer until you've destroyed a $9k bike and put yourself in the hospital for 2 months while sprinting to win a $300 wheel set and $20 gift certificate to Chipotle mid race.

Last edited:
You're not a racer until you've destroyed a $9k bike and put yourself in the hospital for 2 months while sprinting to win a $300 wheel set and $20 gift certificate to Chipotle mid race.

Just a fractured wrist so far in a race. :laughing
Training trip to ER with fractured pelvis and a month on crutches.

So, we did the Sonoma Gran Fondo on Saturday. What a snakebit ride.

The roads were super-goat trails in places, and I chipped a tooth. My Garmin 910XT, which has had a shutting-off problem since I (recently) got it, and the rep told me to just do a software reset to fix, shut off twice. My Gatorskins did their job, but m'boy got two flats (I'm getting good at roadside tube replacement).

The Garmin did stay on for the Dry Creek climb, which I discovered is rather evil. I did get 4th overall women's according to Strava and their own timing, so yay. My bike sounds rather rattly after all that, so I need to give it some love before the tri on Sunday.

2dj0y12.jpg

Holy batman, i just looked at a couple of pages of this thread, but a full face helmet is insane... I think my head size would shrink a size or two from all the sweat!!!!! Mad props for the strong ride.

I actually saw a full faces helmet that looks like it was designed for the road. lots of air ventilation, and looked pretty light.
It might be something to look into for the summer.

I actually saw a full faces helmet that looks like it was designed for the road. lots of air ventilation, and looked pretty light.
It might be something to look into for the summer.

It still has no starbucks posing cred. :x

Oh by the way my gluing job and your tire worked great this weekend in a crit. :thumbup

Fantastic! Which one did you do? I rode down to Fresno and worked the crit there... It's such a boring drive, I hit a new top speed On the way :/

It's not the money, it's the bragging rights. :teeth Congrats!

The downforce generated by the visor helps a lot in corners.

Damn skippy. I was sliding all over the place in corners during the tri yesterday, because I was wearing the plastic yarmulke.

The bike was the strongest bit for me - as usual. Particularly the little climbs. There was one dude I was going back and forth with the whole time; he would push hard and pass me, then fall back (I keep a pretty steady pace). We went back and forth about eight times, and as we were coming to the finish, I yelled back, "Ah just can't qwit yew!" I passed at least 10 chicks who are stronger swimmers than I am.

I need to lower my bars more. I feel like I'm out for a freaking Sunday ride*. I was watching the little video blurb from the time trial champion during the TdC broadcast, and her knees were practically hitting her tits.

*Technically, I was, but still.

Fantastic! Which one did you do? I rode down to Fresno and worked the crit there... It's such a boring drive, I hit a new top speed On the way :/

The one in Santa Rosa. Not a very well organized crit. Not sure if I will do it again. Is that a bus on a course, not in my race, well yes it is. :laughing

It's not the money, it's the bragging rights. :teeth Congrats!

Thanks. :)

You can have "too low" of a riding position. There is a point where is starts affecting your power output. However, you have to have the cardio and leg power of a Clydesdale before the aero advantages of being lower affect a tt bike.

Road and track require more bursts of power so too low is not always good. Just go as low as you can while keeping your back happy.

Leave the natural arch in your back alone and don't roll your hips forward. You'll get low like you should and and your hips will sit on the seat like they should. If you can stand up and touch your toes like you should've in gym class then you're 80% there.
Practice stretching correctly a little.

(I do giggle when I see a pretty 130lb girl on some super aero TT pos with two 5lb aero wheels.....and compact crank.....being blown from one side of the road to the other.

Watching the last stage of TOC on DVR. For fuck sake why do they have to butcher national anthem at every sporting event?

Oh yeah Stage 7 was epic.

Ibis Mojo SL Race Bike fore sale

Just incase any of you pavement junkies feel like strutting your stuff on an XC race course, I just built the perfect bike for you. (well, that is, if you are a midget like me :)

22.10 pound Ibis Mojo SL. Size is small. Condition of frame and all components is either BRAND NEW or as close as you can get to it off the dealers floor. Model year is 2010 (same exact frame as 2011 and 2012 Mojo SL) but it's a 3x9.

Frame, Cranks, shock (yes, SHOCK) rear Derailleur, Bars, and shifters are all carbon. Everything else is super light weight (VERY Hi-End) Aluminum. All bearings are NEW or serviced. Wheels are trued and tunes to perfection. Tires are new. Bike is ready to ride/race exactly as it sits with the exception of some minor fitting.

$3700 which is less than 1/2 of what the bike would cost you New at an Ibis Dealer

***To theAmazingKickstand - I know that you feel the urge to butt into everything “bike”. But I please ask that unless you really have something that's proven (beyond your OPINION) knowledgeable, that people need to know about this bike, PLEASE keep your comments to yourself, ...because as you yourself have admitted, ... You really are not the end-all word on bikes, once the tires leave the pavement.
This bike is the SHIZZLE NIZZLE when it comes to full susp. XC race bikes.
Thank You

Full Link To All Pix
http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/rr270/harpo-rider/ibis_mojo_sl_small_racebike/
Craigs List Ad Link (Full Specs. Description and Pix)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/3038383511.html

Attachments

• IMG_20120523_174304.jpg
    IMG_20120523_174304.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20120523_174633.jpg
    IMG_20120523_174633.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
No brah, it's a weird ass thing to post considering that I haven't said anything to you in months, and don't remember being a meany to you at all. Nunregardless of how much or how little I know, at this point your opinion is that I know at least one unit more about bike junk than the avg. person. It's like me selling a crashed and repaired motorcycle and saying upfront I don't want Alanrider or GP Frame or that nice French couple from Evolution to say anything about it. Personally, if I'm selling any thirty seven hundred dollar item to my friends here on BARF instead of CL I welcome all questions, opinions, concerns, and criticisms. If I write an ad as glowing as yours I'll be able to easily defend every word of it and destroy and embarrass any incorrect critique. You kinda sounded as big of a wierdo as mcarb....you don't really wanna type cast yourself in that category.

Last edited:
Back