• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

:laughing OMG the old people bike ride. 70 miles in 12 hours with three lunch breaks and XTR derailleurs propelling an 11mph avg. speed. Lemme know if you're not happy with the shifters or they're not what you expected. Satisfaction guaranteed until I need to fill up the car. The two matching ders. and crank were sold a long time ago:(....but apparently to a local famous guy. I didn't even know.
(It was only $4.60 to insure them for $400. I was kinda hoping they'd get lost!!)

Haha.. how'd you know? I think that was exactly the ride. :rofl I felt like such a hero chatting to everyone on the climbs though? :teeth

I think I need to find some people to ride with that are kind of in the middle and will push me to ride harder/better maybe.. not super weekend warriors that eat/live/breath cycling but not the slow but steady types either.

When the shifters don't work as well as dura ace ones I'll angrily request my money back too. :D

When the shifters don't work as well as dura ace ones I'll angrily request my money back too. :D

If the rest of the bike is dura ace then they will shift as well as dura ace shifters.:laughing
Not one fancy ass bike store had the der. hanger I needed in stock. REI has a bucket full of them.:laughing

Last edited:
Anyone have a spare rear brake caliper for sale. The word I am looking for is cheap. It's going on my rain bike, so probably will covered with rust and crap by next year anyway. :laughing

Will it take regular road brakepads?

If fixed gear isn't your thing I think I have a beach cruiser hub with the reverse pedal brake inside somewhere. Lace that shit up to a Zipp 808 and you'll be ballin'.
If you find that using one of her calipers performs below your standards trying putting both of them on the same wheel. Put em on opposite sides of the wheel and you might invent and automatic wheel truing machine/bike!!

Last edited:
If fixed gear isn't your thing I think I have a beach cruiser hub with the reverse pedal brake inside somewhere. Lace that shit up to a Zipp 808 and you'll be ballin'.
If you find that using one of her calipers performs below your standards trying putting both of them on the same wheel. Put em on opposite sides of the wheel and you might invent and automatic wheel truing machine/bike!!

ha? I am looking it for my rain road bike.... with gears and stuff.

Like new Lemond Buenos Aires Reynolds 853 and Like new Lemond carbon Chambry. Late 90's.
Both proudly hand made in the USA...and in my size!!!
Some collector died and donated all his fancy ass bikes to a church.
The metal one will get a full Campy Record 10 speed shortly and be mine to ride. Dunno what Imma do with the white one. Too shitty to race. Too pretty and old to commute with.
The frames are like new.. :teeth Score
Even have the original tires and saddles.

Attachments

• image-12.jpg
    image-12.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
i need a second bike. i was riding through my neighborhood today and i was changing the front gear when i heard a ping. then when i switched back to the larger ring, the chain came off. i stopped and saw my outer ring was missing two teeth and my chain looked a little mangled. put the chain back on the good ring and rode it down to summit bicycles. its not going to be ready until next week :(

now all i have to ride is my schwinn.

Buy a new chain and chain ring and be good to go in 20 mins?
Save the excess links from the new chain so you could use them to fix another mangled chain. If you save enough of them you can make a complete new chain for "free."

Buy a new chain and chain ring and be good to go in 20 mins?
Save the excess links from the new chain so you could use them to fix another mangled chain. If you save enough of them you can make a complete new chain for "free."

I'll agree here. Bike maintenance is pretty easy and pretty fun even. Hardest part of the chain is measuring it if it needs to be a different length and a chainring is pretty darn easy.

i just feel really nervous not knowing the torque specs and whatnot. i wish there was someplace i could download bicycle shop manuals for my bikes.

i need a second bike. i was riding through my neighborhood today and i was changing the front gear when i heard a ping. then when i switched back to the larger ring, the chain came off. i stopped and saw my outer ring was missing two teeth and my chain looked a little mangled. put the chain back on the good ring and rode it down to summit bicycles. its not going to be ready until next week :(

now all i have to ride is my schwinn.

One of the reasons I learned to do it myself. Out of pure necessity, a week off the bike in the middle of the race season or training, no buenno. :laughing

Just make sure no ones looking if you decide to line the new chain next tot he old one and cut.:laughing

I do it in the garage, everyone can see it. :laughing
not%20a%20single%20fuck%20was%20given%20that%20day.jpg

i just feel really nervous not knowing the torque specs and whatnot. i wish there was someplace i could download bicycle shop manuals for my bikes.

Probably going to get called on it, but... never used a torque spec. Which is a tad funny because I am paranoid with motorcycle to tighten everything to torque. :laughing

Just don't hulk on the bolts. :laughing I also have aluminum handlebars and seatpost... :laughing

Just make sure no ones looking if you decide to line the new chain next tot he old one and cut.:laughing

:laughing that's not the proper way?! First time I did a chain I used some calculator to figure out the length I wasn't happy with the length. Second time I just put the chain through the smallest rear cog/small chain ring and set it as long as the rear derailleur would allow and it worked great.

Speaking of fixing stuff.. I have a wheel that slightly out of true and another that kind of pulses a little when I use the brakes. do you think I would be better off taking them to a shop or buying the stuff to try to do it myself? I've never messed with wheels and don't know if I want to.

If it's just better to go to the shop, anyone know any good shops in the Santa Cruz /Scotts Valley area or the South Bay?

Back