• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

Just don't hulk on the bolts. :laughing I also have aluminum handlebars and seatpost... :laughing

Never used a TW for drivetrain parts 'cept for that BB30 junk. Hulk with common sense on chain ring bolts; pretty tight. If I may, "hella" tight for BB cups and cassette lock rings. Kinda pretty tight for headsets.

:laughing that's not the proper way?! First time I did a chain I used some calculator to figure out the length I wasn't happy with the length. Second time I just put the chain through the smallest rear cog/small chain ring and set it as long as the rear derailleur would allow and it worked great.

Speaking of fixing stuff.. I have a wheel that slightly out of true and another that kind of pulses a little when I use the brakes. do you think I would be better off taking them to a shop or buying the stuff to try to do it myself? I've never messed with wheels and don't know if I want to.
I've never heard of anyone using that calculator successfully; same for figuring out which rim/hub/spoke length will work.
Put the chain around the big ring and your lowest (biggest) cog and connect them. The rear. der. should be forced to move forward a few cm's but not near it's limit. Spin slowly and see that it sounds good/not making ratchety noise/not trying to rip the rear der. in half. Then shift to the small chain ring and the highest cog and see that it works well. Slowly shift up and down eery where and check that it's smooth and the rear. der is still in one peace. Spin very slowly and carefully when you get to combinations that stretch the der. until you're sure it's right.
Some of these new fancy der.s are so strong that they rip the frame instead of breaking off.
When no one's looking take off the chain and line it up with your old one to confirm you got the right length. Tada! Now you've developed the feel for it. (Close the garage door if you have to do this a few times.)

Get a truing stand for sure and practice with a cheap wheel. It's pretty hard to break a 32 spoke wheel. Don't practice on some fancy $1k 16 spoke thing cuz that could lead to tears and empty wallets.
Really important to get a good stand like the Park Pro (about $200) Don't waste your money some flimsy junk from Performance for $70.
It's easy to get a wheel true side to side or round so there's no hop up or down. Hard part is getting both of them perfect.
You could fix your little wobbles easily I'm guessing. With your new fancy truing stand you learn to buy parts and build the equivalent of a $1,200 wheel for $400. You can build a $400 to much better quality than it came from the factory. I rebuild all wheels I get, new or used.
Under no circumstances should you let your friends know that you have a truing stand and know what to do with it. It's the same as owning a truck.
If you wanna be a dick you can show them how to do three spokes and leave the rest to them. You'll come back from work 8 hours later to a pissed off friend and your three spokes even worse than you found them.:laughing
Do those three with them again and go to sleep.

Last edited:
Forgot to report back. I literally decided to do the 65 (70mile) at the VERY last second. I was at the crossroads between the 30 route and the 65. I went for the 65 because my fiances riding partner bailed. To make a horribly long ride short. It was pretty fucking awful. But I did it. I didnt make it up the steepest grade. I nearly passed out. I made it half way up then walked then got carted up to the top and rode the rest of the way. So i skipped out on about 4miles of the gnarliest hill section i ever seen. Im glad I did it but looking back I should have done the 30. Aw well. Live and learn.

Forgot to report back. I literally decided to do the 65 (70mile) at the VERY last second. I was at the crossroads between the 30 route and the 65. I went for the 65 because my fiances riding partner bailed. To make a horribly long ride short. It was pretty fucking awful. But I did it. I didnt make it up the steepest grade. I nearly passed out. I made it half way up then walked then got carted up to the top and rode the rest of the way. So i skipped out on about 4miles of the gnarliest hill section i ever seen. Im glad I did it but looking back I should have done the 30. Aw well. Live and learn.

Congrats on finishing.

i just feel really nervous not knowing the torque specs and whatnot. i wish there was someplace i could download bicycle shop manuals for my bikes.
With more and more carbon-fibre parts being used on bikes, paying attention to torque of fasteners is becoming more ciritical. More for shops than anything else, but good idea if you're starting to do your own work. Here's some common torque-specs: Park Tool - torque specifications.

Also their repair-help site is good for pretty much any bike out there. www.sheldonbrown.com is also good reference source.

With more and more carbon-fibre parts being used on bikes, paying attention to torque of fasteners is becoming more ciritical. More for shops than anything else, but good idea if you're starting to do your own work. Here's some common torque-specs: Park Tool - torque specifications.

Also their repair-help site is good for pretty much any bike out there. www.sheldonbrown.com is also good reference source.

thank you sir. i am tempted to go get my bike back from the shop right now.

so, i figure the best way to learn how to service a bike is to build one from the ground up. i also need a second bike because my schwinn is unenjoyable to ride, so i figured what the hell. saw this frameset on craigslist for 100 bucks and i picked it up a few hours ago. i am going to try and put it all together on the cheap w/ components found on craigslist.

2012-08-24_18-38-19_245.jpg

so, i figure the best way to learn how to service a bike is to build one from the ground up. i also need a second bike because my schwinn is unenjoyable to ride, so i figured what the hell. saw this frameset on craigslist for 100 bucks and i picked it up a few hours ago. i am going to try and put it all together on the cheap w/ components found on craigslist.

You'll have fun. It took me a long time to get everything working on the first bike I assembled but I felt like I could fix about anything on a bike after that (besides the wheels :laughing).

I kinda am looking for a 56cm frame because I've hoarded all the parts I need for a new bike, but I haven't seen any decent deals (or haven't been looking hard enough).

Were you going for a cyclocross bike?

Were you going for a cyclocross bike?

yes and no. if i would have came across a good deal on a road bike frame, i would have scooped that up but this frame will do me well. i envision this bike being my everyday road warrior that i dont mind getting a little messed up and using my fuji on nice trails and predictable terrain. basically having a little bit tougher of a bike (and a bike that can accept a little larger tire) it will switch my mentality of micro managing the road i am riding on.

Congratulations, everybody in this thread now has the same number of TdF victories as Lance Armstrong. :|

:rofl

Wait did UCI rule? I don't think USADA can actually do it. No matter how important they think they are. :laughing

Wait did UCI rule? I don't think USADA can actually do it. No matter how important they think they are. :laughing

Yeah and since when did the USADA get to remove wins from the tour de FRANCE?

I dunno, I don't care if the guys the biggest jerk ever or if he really did it. Everyone else doped then and it's been over 12 years since the first victory, times up.. let it go. Go find someone more recent to strip their victory.

Here's a cellphone pic of the 1997 Lemond Chambery in front of Roberts this weekend. It's maiden voyage after years and years of storage. I spent way too much time completely stripping every single nut and bolt and ball bearing and rebuilding it to like new. Even managed to save the ugly Lemond bar tape. I ran out of frame tape so barbie band aid had to do that day. Now the bike has all correct cable housing and cassette too. It came with an 11-23 mens cassette stock! Cell phone sucks. The bike looks absolutely stunning in person without a single scratch. All original Ultegra 8 speed. I went out on the original tires but turned around to swap them after two miles. Need to get brown sidewall Continentals. That original 1997 seat says Lemond on it and has Titanium rails. I don't have a scale but everything surprisingly light. Sub 20lbs for sure. Twitchy compared to what I like. Does well at speed. The whole thing goes sideways underneath you out of saddle and up hills. Got tons of compliments on it.:teeth . I'll probably keep it considering it's a super fun to ride attention whore and how many hours I've wasted on it. Stuff was still really good back then. Not like top of the line junk from the 60's and earlier. Frame and crank stiffness is by far the biggest difference compared to a good new bike. It shifts and spins and holds speed exceptionally well.
I probably put more miles on it in the last two days than it's seen in the last 15 years.
Oh those shifters have like 6 billion pieces in them. I've never rebuilt Shimano shifters before.
Only shame is it's the same bike as an old Trek but with fancier bits n pieces. I need to get a similar sacrificial quill to cut cuz this one won't go any lower.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
My friend has one of those late 90's trek carbon frames but it doesn't look nearly as cool as that lemond, especially with the internal cables and old school bar tape and everything.

I went on the first "real" group ride I've been on today and it only took 18 miles (about 2 miles after the long climb started I think right where people were actually "really" riding) before I got dropped like a bad habit, but I just did the rest of the ride solo since it's a really good decent once you get to the top.

A bunch of people peeled off about halfway into the ride and I think it was supposed to be the slower group or they just didn't want to do the rest of the ride and I was left trying to hold onto the wheel of the last of a much smaller/faster group and couldn't do it for long. :(

Oh well maybe I'll try again some time, it was much easier keeping speed in the group than going solo.

Back