• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

dont feel bad. almost every gnarly climb i have attempted, i have had to stop in the middle of it to gasp for air.

My friend has one of those late 90's trek carbon frames but it doesn't look nearly as cool as that lemond, especially with the internal cables and old school bar tape and everything.

I went on the first "real" group ride I've been on today and it only took 18 miles (about 2 miles after the long climb started I think right where people were actually "really" riding) before I got dropped like a bad habit, but I just did the rest of the ride solo since it's a really good decent once you get to the top.

A bunch of people peeled off about halfway into the ride and I think it was supposed to be the slower group or they just didn't want to do the rest of the ride and I was left trying to hold onto the wheel of the last of a much smaller/faster group and couldn't do it for long. :(

Oh well maybe I'll try again some time, it was much easier keeping speed in the group than going solo.

It happens, you get better.

My first group ride was called "Pig Tails" at CAL, I could barely hang on. :laughing I think I started to lag behind towards the top of tunnel.

My friend has one of those late 90's trek carbon frames but it doesn't look nearly as cool as that lemond, especially with the internal cables and old school bar tape and everything.

I went on the first "real" group ride I've been on today and it only took 18 miles (about 2 miles after the long climb started I think right where people were actually "really" riding) before I got dropped like a bad habit, but I just did the rest of the ride solo since it's a really good decent once you get to the top.

A bunch of people peeled off about halfway into the ride and I think it was supposed to be the slower group or they just didn't want to do the rest of the ride and I was left trying to hold onto the wheel of the last of a much smaller/faster group and couldn't do it for long. :(

Oh well maybe I'll try again some time, it was much easier keeping speed in the group than going solo.

If you feel comfy position yourself in the middle of the group towards the front. Folks in the back will get dropped. Even if your faster it'll be super hard to pass the few guys getting dropped in front of you and catch up to the group that's already pulling away. Just make sure you can keep your bike straight and steady. Stay away from folks who can't. If others are cornering faster than you then let them by before the turn and hop right on the wheel of the last guy. Work up the group till the next corner and do the same. Some fast enough guys get dropped in the turns. Wear your helmet or something.

Last edited:
It happens, you get better.

My first group ride was called "Pig Tails" at CAL, I could barely hang on. :laughing I think I started to lag behind towards the top of tunnel.

Yeah, it's just frustrating but I'll keep at it. Nothing like other people to motivate you work harder.

If you feel comfy position yourself in the middle of the group towards the front. Folks in the back will get dropped. Even if your faster it'll be super hard to pass the few guys getting dropped in front of you and catch up to the group that's already pulling away. Just make sure you can keep your bike straight and steady. Stay away from folks who can't. If others are cornering faster than you then let them by before the turn and hop right on the wheel of the last guy. Work up the group till the next corner and do the same. Some fast enough guys get dropped in the turns. Wear your helmet or something.

Yeah I read not to move around and to not overlap wheels so I did my best on all that. I was in the middle-front part for a while and it was pretty good there, I just got all screwed up when it seemed like half the group disappeared on me and I was the guy on the back. I know there were some weaker dudes in the group but they all peeled away in a mile or two.. wtf. :p

When I was then clinging at the back I knew once the group was gone they were gone.

I only wear one of those hipster cycling caps, I guess I should get a helmet sometime.

swrve-clothing-.jpg

I don't dig on group rides that are big enough to even worry about 'overlapping wheels' n' shit. :p

I sold the red bike to a gal who was looking for her first real road bike. I've just gotten too spoiled with the black bike. Not the weight - it's pretty heavy for a carbon bike - but the componentry, particularly since TAKS hooked me up with the Ultegra brakes. To keep the utility for commuting, I picked up a Topeak MTX BeamRack. I probably could have gotten away with the E-type, but I got the A-type just to be sure. It's surprisingly solid.

I've also been playing with toeclips. They make transitions a lot faster, and with the gentle climbs they have on most tris/duos, I don't give anything up on speed. I got first women's in the Santa Cruz duo on August 11th; I'll see how it works at the See Jane Run tri. I've been using anti-sieze on the pedal threads to make it easy to switch between those and clipless. :)

2r72hhj.jpg

Narp, I went to Thunderhill instead. There were hot chicks, but it's because it was 90+ and we were in leather.

Moto riding is taking over my bike riding time. September will change that - we have two Fondos, and I have one last tri.

Lol I decided to be anti social and go ride in the hills on my motorcycle. Should have went to SF for the aforementioned hot chicks. lol.

So apparently my Rival shifter that was warranted a year ago and broke last Friday was part of a bad batch and will be warranted again. Kind of kool, because I thought the best I could get is replacement under crash replacement. That is what the shop was calling them about.

Got introduced to salmon burritos. Damn it hits a spot after a nice long ride. I didn't even knew such a thing existed. The burrito was huge too, and was gone in seconds. :laughing

Got introduced to salmon burritos. Damn it hits a spot after a nice long ride. I didn't even knew such a thing existed. The burrito was huge too, and was gone in seconds. :laughing

I just can't imagine that tasting that good.. but it might just me be.

yea i dont know about fish burritos. fish tacos are good because they fry the shit out of the fish.

speaking of eating and riding, i went on a 29.5 mile ride the other day and got a bacon cheeseburger from "the habit" at the 14 mile marker hahaha.

I thought so too, but it actually was pretty good. Salmon blended in quite well with other spices and rice.

Back