• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Do You Road Bike?

my FSA wheels came for my cyclocross budget build

2012-09-10_16-52-44_277.jpg

long match holder behind the front wheel, steel milk jug that has been repurposed as a lamp table behind the rear wheel hahaha

Today I pedaled like a young Schwarzenegger. I'm gonna destroy those bitches on the Breast Cancer Awareness Tour!

Attachments

• image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 92
Any of u guys have experience with the easton ea90 sl wheels? Looking of changing my wheels for a little lighter ones and saw these at 1500 grams vs my stock 2k gram wheels

Any of u guys have experience with the easton ea90 sl wheels? Looking of changing my wheels for a little lighter ones and saw these at 1500 grams vs my stock 2k gram wheels

All I know is you will notice a 500 gram difference. I switched from 2000 gram to 1400 gram wheels and the difference was crazy.

That's over a pounds in weight you don't have to spin!

The other day I went for a ride and was really out of it, felt crappy before I left. I get going up a climbing part of the ride (mountain view rd up laurel glen outside of Scotts Valley) and was dying, had to stand when I normally wouldn't.. pulled over and ate something and drank a lot of water figuring I hadn't eaten enough or was dehydrated..

Get back on and keep going and 100-200ft later I am having a hard time already.

Then I, look down and realize I was in the 53t ring the whole climb. :| :rofl

Have no idea how I didn't realize that.

All I know is you will notice a 500 gram difference. I switched from 2000 gram to 1400 gram wheels and the difference was crazy.

That's over a pounds in weight you don't have to spin!

The other day I went for a ride and was really out of it, felt crappy before I left. I get going up a climbing part of the ride (mountain view rd up laurel glen outside of Scotts Valley) and was dying, had to stand when I normally wouldn't.. pulled over and ate something and drank a lot of water figuring I hadn't eaten enough or was dehydrated..

Get back on and keep going and 100-200ft later I am having a hard time already.

Then I, look down and realize I was in the 53t ring the whole climb. :| :rofl

Have no idea how I didn't realize that.

You were in perfect gearing for an attack. :x

Those have/had rear hub problems. They fixed it but not too long ago. Check the type of hub before you buy. If you're paying new price I'd pick something other than ea90 wheels but thats just me. (not just me:laughing)

You were in perfect gearing for an attack. :x
....or for cracking a frame.:(:laughing

....or for cracking a frame.:(:laughing

or that. :laughing

Phew last race of the season is done. Safe roads my ass. :laughing Second lap one guy goes down in front of me, third lap first three guys right in front of me went down, on 180 degree turn. Important lesson kids, don't go stabby stabby on brakes, or sudden input in to handle bars. :facepalm

I need some recommendations. I'm new to cycling and I'm not sure were to start, so I thought I'd ask all of you.

I have the bicycle, but now I need to get the extras, these are the things off of the top of my head I could think of that I would need, going any real length of distance.

I'm in need of:

-flat repair kit
-cycling computer (not sure if wired or wireless is better)
-what of you use for hydration, camelback or bottles

helmet and clothing recommedations would be greatly appreciated as well as anything else I'm missing or I would definately need.

Oh, one of my goals is to start commuting in on the bicycle. What lights do all you commuters use?

I think we talked about cycling computers in the 1600s of the posts, but who has time to go back to that...

I've had wired computers like Cateyes and such in the past, but I've fallen in love with the Garmins. Forerunners if you do multisport, Edge if you don't. They do the calibration for you, and they give you speed, cadence, heart rate, training zones, etc etc. I use Strava to track my bikes/runs/swims/etc.

I carry a spare tube, a pump, and levers. I don't typically like the big patch kits, but our work bike club gave out these teeny kits with just scoring paper and strong adhesive patches, not the glue and all. I haven't had a chance to try that yet (yay Gatorskins), but it doesn't take up much room, so I carry it. I've seen that kind of kit for sale at PB.

I know a lot of folk who like bottles, but I don't dig them. I do the hydration pack thing; I find it a lot more convenient, and gives me a good place to put my wallet, phone, and food. I have a Nelson race vest that I like a lot better than Camelbak.

Helmet! Ha. I crashed plenty in my youth with those little plastic yarmulkes, and they didn't do me a bit of good. So I ride with a fullface MTB helmet. Most people don't.

Most guys I've talked to seem to like bib shorts for keeping the junk tucked away. I'll let those with junk weigh in, though.

The brightest light I've seen on any ride I've been on is this Planet Bike strobe thing. I might have to pick one up. It's crazily attention-getting.

Get the front light too!
I like dinottelighting. Compact but expensive.
For flats couple spare tubes, c02 pump with couple catridges, and a mini small pump.
Most patches suck on 23mm tubes. Others experience may vary.

the weirdest thing happens to me when i strap on my light right next to my cateye computer, it stops working when the light is turned on. i turn off the light and the computer works like it was before. kinda sucks i cant log my night miles :(

does anyone have recommendations for a mini pump that has a floor stand type feet for a road bike for under $30 if possible, like a Topeak Mountain Morph Bike Pump.

Back