Erik Buell is back

I'm not sure what you are seeing that I'm not. Most of the investment has already been done and no one stands to lose as a result of the brands failure. The engines are tooled and available, the frame is the same. Building per-order avoids heavy investment in inventory.

Moving to a more production bike is expected to be slow and based on demand so, again, there doesn't seem to be a lot of pie-in-the-sky thinking behind this. The platform is sound.

Other motorcycle resurrections or new brand projects have been way more ambitious and required massive investment in an untested product. That really doesn't appear to be the case here.

Do know how many of those things he will have to sell to raise any meaningful funding for anything? The net margin on those hand built bikes, even at $40k a piece is probably minimal.

I don't see how you can 'fund a business' selling a small number of hand built motorcycles. Wonder how much they're setting aside for warranty liabilities.

Not hand built, hand assembled. Huge difference, just ask Bimota.

Like, I said earlier, all the major components were already developed with a $12K bike in mind and the additional bits they've added certainly don't come anywhere near $28,000. What seems to be lost here is that they aren't building a brand new bike, they are building a refinement of something that worked pretty damn well and sold retail for $12k.

Last edited:
I don't understand why you loonies are so butt-hurt (if) it's $40,000, when a 2010 1198R Corse is heavier, slower and the same price.

Lighter and equivalent power is usually faster

its not even close to that simple and you know it. on a bike, faster is what's easiest to ride fast.

case in point motogp and the big bang bikes, which arent as powerful bit are faster cause its easier to push pace. ill take a heavier frame with better feedback than a lighter one with no feedback or flex

it wont be faster off a line if the FI sucks, is glitchy, or not well designed. god TC will make a less powerful bike faster....a front end with no feel will make you slower...ect ect. a shittly clutch design will put a dent in your speed real quick

its not even close to that simple and you know it. on a bike, faster is what's easiest to ride fast.

case in point motogp and the big bang bikes, which arent as powerful bit are faster cause its easier to push pace. ill take a heavier frame with better feedback than a lighter one with no feedback or flex

it wont be faster off a line if the FI sucks, is glitchy, or not well designed. god TC will make a less powerful bike faster....a front end with no feel will make you slower...ect ect. a shittly clutch design will put a dent in your speed real quick

Right but from quotes from AMA riders, the Buell is the quickest around corners already. Make it lighter and give it better suspension components should make it quicker still. TC won't help much off the line but a heavier bike might be faster if the weight is holding the front end down.

You are right though, we will have to see. Is there a 1098R in AMA this season?

If that's the case...I've ridden a race-prepped 1125R at Road America and it was stupid-easy to ride fast. A 1198 is much more demanding and harder to ride.

but you're right, the proof will out when someone impartial tests one...

Winning because the other guys didn't make it to the finish line?

I'm not completely sure what your issue was but you've got to at least get your facts straight. EBR is running in Superbike now and the 1190 was designed for that and that only.

I'm not seeing Czysz running in the top class.

right I guess we're just going to ignore 2009's supersport debacle... naw its Cool.

Honestly I cannot wait to have an american Motorcycle that isn't a complete failure and a blatant embarrassment. you know a Bike that can hold its own at the WSBK level? But buell or EBR or whatever the hell they're calling themselves Isn't going to do it...

besides you guys may write off electric bikes as hippie bullshit but like it or not that bike and the tech behind it is the best two wheel thing to come out of america.

right I guess we're just going to ignore 2009's supersport debacle... naw its Cool.

Honestly I cannot wait to have an american Motorcycle that isn't a complete failure and a blatant embarrassment. you know a Bike that can hold its own at the WSBK level? But buell or EBR or whatever the hell they're calling themselves Isn't going to do it...

besides you guys may write off electric bikes as hippie bullshit but like it or not that bike and the tech behind it is the best two wheel thing to come out of america.

Continue to feel sore about 2009. Have fun doing that. Me? I don't actually care. DMGs first season was a fucking mess in every way so I'm not going to waste any more time being concerned about it.

Buell currently has 10 employees - fewer than most WSBK teams. That they could finish as well as they did in AMA is fairly impressive. Once they can get the 1190 homologated, they will actually have a bike built for racing that I am prepared to put money on beating the Ducati. So, you can continue to hate all you want and I will continue to wonder why you are so angry. If Buell can't put a bike on the podium regularly there won't be another American company that will so either support or get out of the way and go back to enjoying the Japanese and Europeans dominating top-level racing.

Personally, I'm going to do everything I can to support the guys trying with all of their soul to do something different, and do it well. Every other American has backed away from the challenge of top-level racing.

Personally, I'm going to do everything I can to support the guys trying with all of their soul to do something different, and do it well. Every other American has backed away from the challenge of top-level racing.

Great, so you're going to buy a $40k bike then. When do we get to see it? :twofinger Can I test ride it? I'll give you my BMW keys as collateral in case I crash.

Continue to feel sore about 2009. Have fun doing that. Me? I don't actually care. DMGs first season was a fucking mess in every way so I'm not going to waste any more time being concerned about it.

Buell currently has 10 employees - fewer than most WSBK teams. That they could finish as well as they did in AMA is fairly impressive. Once they can get the 1190 homologated, they will actually have a bike built for racing that I am prepared to put money on beating the Ducati. So, you can continue to hate all you want and I will continue to wonder why you are so angry. If Buell can't put a bike on the podium regularly there won't be another American company that will so either support or get out of the way and go back to enjoying the Japanese and Europeans dominating top-level racing.

AMA is top level racing?!?! Yeah right!
:rolleyes sure Go ahead ride that sinking ship if you want. AMA is Crap. Buell is Basically the Underwhelming Equivalent of an average american car when compared any other Automobile manufacturer. if the bike is so great, they should take its piddlly little ten worker company to one, just one WSBK race just to Prove your point. Matter of fact just put in a qualifying lap. you don't even have to race. just put up a better time than the japanese, german, italian, or british bikes. Id like to see that happen. until then enjoy running at the front of what is soon to become the nascar of motorcycles...

the 1190 MAY beat the Duc at the ama level If the Nasbike Morons skew the rules enough to restrict the duc. but until that Buell can beat the duc On a WSBK level, its nothing...

AMA is top level racing?!?! Yeah right!
:rolleyes sure Go ahead ride that sinking ship if you want. AMA is Crap. Buell is Basically the Underwhelming Equivalent of an average american car when compared any other Automobile manufacturer. if the bike is so great, they should take its piddlly little ten worker company to one, just one WSBK race just to Prove your point. Matter of fact just put in a qualifying lap. you don't even have to race. just put up a better time than the japanese, german, italian, or british bikes. Id like to see that happen. until then enjoy running at the front of what is soon to become the nascar of motorcycles...

the 1190 MAY beat the Duc at the ama level If the Nasbike Morons skew the rules enough to restrict the duc. but until that Buell can beat the duc On a WSBK level, its nothing...

Yes, AMA is clearly irrelevant since the last AMA champ to move to WSBK took the title in his first year.

You are expecting a company that doesn't even have a factory to be able not only race with but beat companies with multi-billion dollars in revenue.

Whatever.

Yes, AMA is clearly irrelevant since the last AMA champ to move to WSBK took the title in his first year.

You are expecting a company that doesn't even have a factory to be able not only race with but beat companies with multi-billion dollars in revenue.

Whatever.
ben spies is the exception that proves the rule. you know like Hopkins and Hayden.. Remember those guys? and besides Spies did it on a Yam not a Buell we're talking about a bike not a rider.

Im not saying Buell is a permanent Fail. not yet. but anything done in AMA is worthless.

if you look up at the text you quote youll see that I'd be satisfied with a faster lap time. Thats all. they don't have to race just put up a faster lap time on a WSBK track. try that. then I might be impressed...

Fair enough. H-D ankled Buell's design efforts because they refused to have an actual superbike in their lineup. as a result, the 1125 was never menat to go head to head against Yosh Suzuki. The 1190 is and I wait to see how they do. At least now, they have a real chance.

And to be fair, kevin raised this a page back.

Back