Erik Buell is back

if you look up at the text you quote youll see that I'd be satisfied with a faster lap time. Thats all. they don't have to race just put up a faster lap time on a WSBK track. try that. then I might be impressed...

You mean accomplish what Kawasaki - a multi billion dollar company has failed to do?

I think your perspective on the amount of money and engineering it takes to be competitive in WSBK. BMW spent what, $17 million their first year and what did they get for that?

You mean accomplish what Kawasaki - a multi billion dollar company has failed to do?

I think your perspective on the amount of money and engineering it takes to be competitive in WSBK. BMW spent what, $17 million their first year and what did they get for that?

You know you are wasting your breath bro!

Here's how it is and always has been with Buell:

Hater: "The Engine sucks. I will never ride a bike with an HD engine. However, there are some good ideas on the bike"

A: "Oh, okay. Now there is a sweet Rotax motor in it."

Hater: "It looks ugly. Why can't it look nice like a Ducati?"

A: "Well, okay, here's one that looks more modern"

Hater: "WTF? It looks like a Ducati"

A: "No, it doesn't"

Hater: "Well....well....a couple years ago some race promoter made a bunch of rules I didn't like. Plus, the bike has to win Superbike races before I will buy it"

A: "What about your KLR? Your Goldwing? Your Monster? Your Aprilia RSV and KTM SuperDuke(raced in same class as Buell that year)?

Hater: "But, it's $40,000 now"

A: "head explodes"

:laughing

:twofinger

. BMW spent what, $17 million their first year and what did they get for that?
THIS :twofinger

bmw-s-1000-rr-superb_460x0w.jpg

you guys are backing buell like a mom who wont let her kid play with the big boys because she doesn't want him to get hurt...

You know you are wasting your breath bro!

Here's how it is and always has been with Buell:

Hater: "The Engine sucks. I will never ride a bike with an HD engine. However, there are some good ideas on the bike"

A: "Oh, okay. Now there is a sweet Rotax motor in it."

Hater: "It looks ugly. Why can't it look nice like a Ducati?"

A: "Well, okay, here's one that looks more modern"

Hater: "WTF? It looks like a Ducati"

A: "No, it doesn't"

Hater: "Well....well....a couple years ago some race promoter made a bunch of rules I didn't like. Plus, the bike has to win Superbike races before I will buy it"

A: "What about your KLR? Your Goldwing? Your Monster? Your Aprilia RSV and KTM SuperDuke(raced in same class as Buell that year)?

Hater: "But, it's $40,000 now"

A: "head explodes"

:twofinger
you'r whole pseudo argument proves the point that Buell is:

1.behind the ball in Developement

2.just recently became halfway decent looking

3. alienated any significant following by running a 1125cc bike in a 599cc class and then having the audacity to call it a winning bike.

and yes it may be an expensive purpose built race bike but we'll see how decent or ridiculous it really is in due time...

And I'm sure you think that's entirely Erik's fault, right?

That's a completely subjective opinion. People say the same shit about Japanese machines too.

3. alienated any significant following by running a 1125cc bike in a 599cc class and then having the audacity to call it a winning bike.

Who cares? The power wasn't exactly a huge difference. If anything that just says they have more work to do in the engine department.

and yes it may be an expensive purpose built race bike but we'll see how decent or ridiculous it really is in due time...

I'll definitely agree with you there. Only time will tell.

And I'm sure you think that's entirely Erik's fault, right?

That's a completely subjective opinion. People say the same shit about Japanese machines too.

Who cares? The power wasn't exactly a huge difference. If anything that just says they have more work to do in the engine department.

I'll definitely agree with you there. Only time will tell.
not here to argue about fault but the facts are still the facts. even if the buell made slightly more power with an 1125cc engine than a 599cc one. if it takes twice the engine to make slightly more power then newsflash It sucks.

However I will submit that the past is the past. new bike new season we'll see. albeit a new bike from a small company who had to rule book its way on to the podium. I'm sure all it will take is the EBR finishing above "A" duc for the buellers to tout success and break out the "I told you so speeches" even if that means 17th and 18th respectively...

Whatever happened to that old Evil Knivel Snake River Ramp, anyway? He coulda gotten on the podium. :thumbup

do you seriously think that any amount of money spent is going to catapult you onto the podium.?

You are kidding, right? I have to wonder how much you know about racing. When it comes down to it, it is all about money. Money buys the best engineers, money buys the best equipment and money buys the best riders. That's what it takes to win a championship. Why do you think Suzuki is doing so poorly in MotoGP?

Behind what ball? It looks to me like they, in two years, took a bike that is down on power compared to everything it races against and turned it into a bike that should be running at the front next season.

And they did that with virtually no budget whatsoever compared to the millions that Yosh Suzuki spends.

The design of the 1125 was dictated by H-D. Buell wasn't happy with the way it looked either. Now that they are free to make the bike they intended, it looks the way they intended.

For some reason, Aprilia doesn't get the same flak even though they did the same thing. I guess getting beaten badly with a bigger motor is okay but winning with it isn't.

That is actually a really cheap race bike. Have you seen the prices of a 2009 spec used Yosh Suzuki?

Personally, I am a race fan and I love seeing any new faces out there trying their hand at it. You can dislike Buell all you want but what they have done in just two years with no funding has been impressive. During that same period, factory supported efforts have only done marginally better and these are teams that have been around for years if not decades.

Let's see what happens this season. You can let your resentment make you hope for failure or you can get over it and hope that this boot strap effort is taking chunks out of the big guys with the big bucks.

Last edited:
do you seriously think that any amount of money spent is going to catapult you onto the podium.?

I never said that. I never said anything like that. It was you that just said BMW spent 17,000,000 for the S1000RR. Which is false.

But, if you think titles don't come from spending a lot of money then you really don't know what you are talking about. But, that's besides the point because BMW hasn't won in WSBK in many races.

I thought about registering to post over there to correct some reading comprehension issues but then why bother. I expressed my OPINION about using "Erik Buell Racing" for a motorcycle manufacturer's name. The things I DON'T like about the 1125r wasn't because of the name ... it was mechanical issues... you know, like a failing transmission or actually having hardware support, or the brakes squealing after the first hard heat cycle the brake rotors that warp at the drop of a hat just to name a couple of complaints.

Far be it for a 30 year all weather (I'm from the mid-west) rider to actually care that his bike doesn't fall apart under him in the middle of BFE when it's 20 degrees or less outside.

meh, I could care less either way. What can you expect from Buell owners. Perceived threat! ATTACK!!! :twofinger :x

Last edited:
I thought about registering to post over there to correct some reading comprehension issues but then why bother. I expressed my OPINION about using "Erik Buell Racing" for a motorcycle manufacturer's name. The things I DON'T like about the 1125r wasn't because of the name ... it was mechanical issues... you know, like a failing transmission or actually having hardware support, or the brakes squealing after the first hard heat cycle the brake rotors that warp at the drop of a hat just to name a couple of complaints.

Far be it for a 30 year all weather (I'm from the mid-west) rider to actually care that his bike doesn't fall apart under him in the middle of BFE when it's 20 degrees or less outside.

meh, I could care less either way. What can you expect from Buell owners. Perceived threat! ATTACK!!! :twofinger :x

Umm...transmission failures? Warped rotors? Where did you get any of this? The only real issues anyone has had with any regularity have been stator failures and poor low-end fueling. The latter has mostly been addressed and a $250 fix makes fueling a dream - far better than many Ducatis. So, yeah, stator failure are the only real one and you can solve that with a $130 rewind.

I will give you that there is a cultural differences over there but you have to admit there have been some pretty petty reasons over here for not liking Buell.

Umm...transmission failures? Warped rotors? Where did you get any of this? The only real issues anyone has had with any regularity have been stator failures and poor low-end fueling. The latter has mostly been addressed and a $250 fix makes fueling a dream - far better than many Ducatis. So, yeah, stator failure are the only real one and you can solve that with a $130 rewind.

I will give you that there is a cultural differences over there but you have to admit there have been some pretty petty reasons over here for not liking Buell.

That's because they fixed the trans issues early on (there was a recall on it, IIRC). But the brake issues... I heard those things miles away for a long time. They sounded almost like the air brakes on a mac truck! I remember the massive head shake I got from the XB12R and the 1125r on the track day. It was so bad I thought I thought I was going to get pitched off a couple of times. To be fair, they were somewhat flogged since they were being used on the track but at the same time, you'd think things like that would be taken care of so the Buells wouldn't look... well, cheap.

I absolutely agree that there are some petty reasons for disliking them on this board. I suspect mostly because of the link to HD. However I will also say I LOVED the pre HD Buells and almost bought one from a friend. I just didn't have the cash at the time or I would have. And as I said earlier I was all set to buy an 1125r once the things I didn't like about it were fixed. :dunno

If you'll recall some of my earlier statements were more along the "if they fixed this..." line until the whole 1125r racing against 600s came along. To be fair the way we perceive something is large portion of what we think of something right or wrong that perception is the make or break of something. I learned a long time ago the more that someone talks about how good they are, the worse they probably are. After 3 or 4 AMA races hearing about the awesome acceleration of the Buell vs. the 600s my perception of the brand went down the drain.

EDIT: Oh, and to be honest, I expect that when I buy a bike, I won't have to spend money to fix manufacturer issues like stators (yup, I don't buy certain Hondas...) or fueling. I may be silly here but getting fuel to a running engine is actually a pretty important part of the design that I shouldn't have to spend $250 to fix. Just sayin'. :x

Last edited:
I can't believe I am actually going to say this, But that Buell is one of the best looking bikes I have ever seen in my life. I will see how it does, but the #'s look promising. I will have one in the near future. Red of course:)

EDIT: Oh, and to be honest, I expect that when I buy a bike, I won't have to spend money to fix manufacturer issues like stators (yup, I don't buy certain Hondas...) or fueling. I may be silly here but getting fuel to a running engine is actually a pretty important part of the design that I shouldn't have to spend $250 to fix. Just sayin'. :x

I expect the same. As I mentioned, the fueling issue has really been resolved. I haven't gotten the ecu fix and am happy with the bike. Fueling seems to be something a lot of manufacturers are dealing with, mostly as a result of EPA requirements so, I'm a little more lenient on this one. Typically, the issue is resolved by the manufacturer some time after the bike is released but not always.

The stator issue is another story. Unfortunately, the problem wasn't discovered until after Buell was shut down so H-D has only released a patch for it and we are not sure if it is a permanent fix. If Buell was still in business, this would have been resolved. That said, I'm not overly worried about a $130 if I have a problem after the warranty is up. Most bikes have some issue that I'm not happy with and I typically end up spending more than I have on the Buell to get the bike where I want it.

As to the brakes, I have never had any squealing issues and haven't really heard anyone complain of them. That would definitely be something that would annoy the crap out of me.

I don't want to sound like I am making excuses here - there are definitely some real reasons not to own an 1125, not least of which is being forced to deal with H-D mechanics but for a guy coming from the utterly flawless reliability of Hondas, I really haven't been unhappy with this bike for any reason.

Back