• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Flat Track Racing Mega Thread - INCLUDES SPOILERS!

I didn't find much to get excited about from Locke's comments. Lots of corporate double talk about fan experience and OEM's needs. Other than his admission that AMA needs to do more in concert with event promoters, I didn't read anything of substance.

Agree with Hun on the consequences of losing the Peoria TT. Its my favorite race and favorite track. Its spectacular to watch, produces great racing and there really is nothing else like it anywhere in racing. Losing Peoria would be a "torch and pitchfork" issue driving a bitter wedge between the fan base and DMG.

Ohlins + XR750 + OG variously named "Corndog", "The Dogger", etc.

".....Jon Cornwell did some living last year [2008] at Indianapolis. At 47 years of age, the curmudgeonly Canadian racer-turned-suspension-engineer qualified for the main at The Indy Mile dirt track race. Only an unfortunate crash kept him from finishing the race....."

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2009/Aug/090826cornwellstory.htm

Oh my.... Thank you for that. :cool

I remember watching Cornwall in 1993. It was one of those 3-hour endurance races that used to run on the Saturday afternoon of AMA Superbike weekends. He was racing a CBR600f2 for 4&6 Racing and knifing through the field with ease. He had these hideous green and blue leathers so he was easy to spot. It was cool to see his name pop up as Ohlins tech to the stars over the years. What a cool motorcycle life he has.

uh, oh

turns out that Team Latus is outta dirt track for 2016 -
heard about it on Barry Boone's podcast,
tho' Shayna switching to RMR was a BIG clue.....

--------------------------------------------------------------

also [all too typically], AMA Pro hasn't released their 2016 dirt schedule yet

Last edited:
uh, oh

turns out that Team Latus is outta dirt track for 2016 -
heard about it on Barry Boone's podcast,
tho' Shayna switching to RMR was a BIG clue.....

--------------------------------------------------------------

also [all too typically], AMA Pro hasn't released their 2016 dirt schedule yet

I wonder what the motivating factors were. I heard they're continuing in road racing, but dropping flat track. Was it prize money, sponsorship, expected success, logistics? It would be interesting to know their thought process because it might show some opportunities for the sport to improve.

I'm 54 minutes into this and there has been about 14 minutes of decent content. Barry really rambles on.

What did you find interesting from this discussion Curt?

I'm 54 minutes into this and there has been about 14 minutes of decent content. Barry really rambles on.

What did you find interesting from this discussion Curt?

Yeah, I can't find a way to fast forward through it. :dunno

You have to drag the end of the progress bar:

talkbikes_drag-L.jpg

For some reason that wouldn't work for me. I ended up downloading it and fast forwarding using Windows Media Player. These guys have good things to say, it's just Barry prattles on too much.

Pretty interesting that Zannotti, an HD team, doesn't care for the twins only rule.

I agree with him.

BTW, there is a possibility Zanotti will not be an HD team in 2016.

Zanotti mechanic Michelle Disalvo discusses this in her very entertaining interview on the Motorcycles and Misfits podcast (produced by BARFers)

once you've listened to Barry's pods, you learn that:

-- the 1st 15 minutes [approx] are s-n-o-o-z-y
-- he breaks every 15 min [approx] for 3-5 min worth of ads

technique: I don't drag, rather I scroll L&R to find interviews & skip the rest

there are so few FT-related pods that I'll treasure hunt anywhere I can.....

Just finished the Carr-Baker-Mees podcast. It was fun. Best part was Mees threatening to change the track at Lima to a groove depending on the points standings in late June. :rofl

Didn't get much from the team owners roundtable. Out of industry sponsors? Thats not news. Everyone wants them and they are incredibly hard to find. You have to show real value to the industry sponsors before you will ever attract out of industry sponsors. The comments about racing at tracks that already have a fan base were puzzling. AMA Pro FT raced the Sunday after a high-profile Saturday night Sprint Car event at Knoxville, IA in 2014. They even let the top riders do an exhibition race on on their bikes during an intermission in the Sprint Car program. The track was packed on Saturday night and a ghost town on Sunday. I think they need to aim higher than local sprint car 3/8 mile ovals. The X-Games was the highest profile American race in decades. Superprestigio has had a huge impact. They just a need a handful of high profile races like those to make the whole season work. SMI is doing a great job.

Last edited:
Nice to see fewer sponsorship opportunities for the racers. I'd better reserve my seats now because ticket sales will surely skyrocket due to this new rule.

AMA Pro's 2016 FT rules

".....riders to wear leather riding suits only.....Motocross-style jerseys will no longer be permitted....."

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2016/...ing-releases-2016-flat-track-technical-rules/

I really don't get why the new spectators that they are trying to attract will give a rip about leather vs. textile. This would seem to only matter to those who want to return to the past. :confused

Nice to see fewer sponsorship opportunities for the racers. I'd better reserve my seats now because ticket sales will surely skyrocket due to this new rule.

Are you talking about the spec tire rule, or something else? Hasn't it generally been the case that when a series goes to a spec tire that the riders have to start paying for their tires?

Also, it's interesting that GNC1 and GNC2 rules for twins are expected to be the same. I had thought the the twin rules for GNC2 had been more restrictive than those for GNC1 for the purpose of lowering costs for the GNC2 riders. Was I incorrect in that belief?

Now, let's wait for the other shoe(s) to drop. What happens to Peoria, one of the longest lived events on the calendar. Oh yeah, and Daytona short track too. *sigh*

Back