• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Flat Track Racing Mega Thread - INCLUDES SPOILERS!

Let's get this out there; are we seeing history in the making or what? The FTR750 Indian was first conceptualized in 2015, and begun in earnest in 2016, and here we are in 2017, and it looks unbeatable. Maybe it will be more interesting on the miles, and the Kawasakis will make it a show, but for now it looks like the only way to beat one is for it to break.

The XR750 was nothing but trouble when it debuted. The RS750 became a winner pretty quickly, but I don't recall it being this dominant right off the bat. Maybe someone will correct me on that. Of course, it came only after the CX500 based frankenbike labored in the wilderness for years. Has anything ever been this good this quick?

There was a 2016 article in CW by Kevin Cameron in which he said Indian would be selling them to non-factory teams. Has anyone taken delivery yet?

How long until the FTR750 gets restricted?

BTW, I wrote to Indian after that CW article to ask what plans they might have for a street tracker version. The bike looks pretty cool, and it would be nice if one could buy a relatively light, US made V-twin that didn't suffer from nearly nonexistent suspension travel, and pegs way the hell out in front. Their answer, "No plans."

Don't know of any privateers taking delivery of FTR750s yet. Zanotti decided to build Kawasakis rather the pony up for the FTR or buy the new XG race-only engine.

I'm not sure it would be worth spending the 100k for two FTRs for most private teams. Beyond lots of money, you still need Baker/Mees/Smith level talent and a Kenny Tolbert or Ricky Howerton doing the set up. No doubt the Indian is a great package but they truly have the dream team of FT. No disrespect to the HD Factory racers, the excellent crew at Zanotti, PBR or other teams in the paddock.

I'm not sure we'll see a street version. They would have to develop another new engine as this race-only engine is very trick and has 30 hour service intervals. I don't think the Scout engine would make for an exciting street tracker and putting quality suspension and brakes on a street bike built here would probably make a very expensive but low-powered bike. Its not going to rival a Diavel or Tuono.

There was an interview with the President of Indian in a recent CycleNews. He said the brand is not limited to cruisers and may consider other market segments, yet his answers were very non-commital. Cruisers are a great business. You don't have to do expensive R&D updates often, they are relatively cheap to build and the market for them is strong.

I'm not sure we'll see a street version. They would have to develop another new engine as this race-only engine is very trick and has 30 hour service intervals. I don't think the Scout engine would make for an exciting street tracker and putting quality suspension and brakes on a street bike built here would probably make a very expensive but low-powered bike. Its not going to rival a Diavel or Tuono.

I'd like to believe that a Scout motor, or something like it, could be tuned to produce reasonable power. If they made it reasonably light, it could be fun. Then again, I often sing the praises of a lowly 650 twin. :dunno

Whether they would is something else altogether.

It would be interesting to know the full story on Gauthier's suspension. The kid is a super talent and can win on any track. Hope this has a good outcome for him.

That is a surprise on what I have seen and read on Dalton.

Post the the FB Flat track page says positive for weed. Never know weed would make you go that fast.

Don't think there will be any issues with his career for some weed. Looking forward to seeing him back on track. Even with the DQ from Charlotte, I think he's still leading the Singles championship.

A little late, but I really enjoyed the San Jose indoor. Great to see the old timers on the 2 strokes, Bultacos and Ossas. It was great seeing Mees on his "home track" and competing up close at a smaller event. Dude is super fast in any venue! Thanks to the promoters for hosing this event. The flat track revival is fun to watch. Wish I could make it to Sacramento, but I'll be at the 1/2 mile in Sonoma later in the year for sure!

It would be interesting to know the full story on Gauthier's suspension. The kid is a super talent and can win on any track. Hope this has a good outcome for him.

Gauthier: "I Had Marijuana In My System"

".....I plan to complete the Road to Recovery Program as soon as possible so I can get back to racing. When I’m back, I’ll be gunning for the championship like always....."

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news...dalton-gauthier-i-had-marijuana-in-my-system/

So stupid.

Where is more info on this Indian? Crazy to think any company would purely make a bike with no intention of either direct sales or trickle down of some sort as a pillar of their race program. Guess Indian has deep pockets? :laughing (we know they dont)

So stupid.

Where is more info on this Indian? Crazy to think any company would purely make a bike with no intention of either direct sales or trickle down of some sort as a pillar of their race program. Guess Indian has deep pockets? :laughing (we know they dont)

Maybe the paid for it by shutting down Victory? :dunno

There was a piece by Kevin Cameron in CW last year in which he mentioned that they would be selling them to privateers much as HD has sold the XR750, but there hasn't been any sign of that yet.

[edited]The May Springfiled Mile AFT weekend is split into two events: A TT for AFT Singles racers on Saturday night and the Mile exclusively for the AFT twins class on Sunday. No Singles on the Mile. Today an HD-only support class was announced for Sunday. Press release is scant on details......

this is 3 separate pieces of great news, especially in light of 3[!] Singles deaths in the past 4 races:

[1] I remember [in 2015?] that folks were saying that the 450s were ill-suited for some Miles, Sp'fld in particular - safety first

[2] the long-time promoter @ Sp'fld had bailed a few yrs ago on continuing the occasional, stand-alone Sat nite TTs due to low attendance @ this separate, adjacent fairgrounds facility

AFTz split-classes, doubleheader approach guarantees butts in Sat nite Singles seats & carryover interest in the following day's Twins National [please note that this is a class-specific return to the way @ Sp'fld's Memorial Day weekends were double-scheduled just a few yrs ago]

[3] the added daylite H-D-only class is both reminiscent of the previous 'ship underclass [Go Bostroms !] & somewhat mirrors Roland Sands' increasingly successful Hooligan [read Injun] Series

Last edited:
Not sure about #3 if they are allowing an XR750 to run on a mile with the others. Don't see any of the other bikes being competitive with the XR. Someone in the heartland want to see a HD win a race.

"The all-Harley-Davidson support class allows for any model that has previously competed in Pro Flat Track - including the Harley-Davidson XG750R, XR750, 883, Sportster or Super Tracker."

Having seen pics of the TT bike Henry Wiles rode at Daytona, I wouldn't bet against him.
dayton-tt-american-flat-track-bjn23196_0.jpg

Back