• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Flat Track Racing Mega Thread - INCLUDES SPOILERS!

Always better to be there in person. Night Before the Mile has tons of great racing across all classes. And with the lighting there, I'm not counting on FansChoice.TV to deliver much in the way of a quality production.

Countdown to the Sac Mile begins. Beautiful this weekend in Sacramento with high temps in the low 70s. Forecast is for 90s next weekend.

[YOUTUBE]X-PAGlT4c_E[/YOUTUBE]

The air fence seems to be saving some peeps asses!

Got home in time to watch the last 23 laps of the Sacramento main. Looks like Indian will lock up all the miles and 1/2 miles this year. Bryan Smith proved again he is one of the all time best mile riders.

Lodi Friday night was a great race with Halbert getting the win. Interbitsen slid out leading, hard way to lose $5,000. Good to see Dominic watching the races. I set with my friends Gerry and Ann Carr. Lots of fast guys stopped to say hello as they only get to CA once a year. Surprised to see Fred Merkel at the race long way from NZ. Found out his mother had recently passed. Night before the mile at Lodi is a must make if you want to see the top riders on a short track.

I was there. Shayna hauled ass. I thought Stollings was going to cry on the box. Second isn't so bad, then he blamed the tires (it wasn't the tires, Kevin). Shayna rode well and kicked ass.

Some of the other flat Track websites are talking restrictors on the Indians. Why not make the other guys just make their bikes faster? The Factory Harley (XGs) got smoked. That just shows how well Indian did the home work, and how poorly Harley did theirs. Why penalize the fast guys?

And Bubba? He isn't trying to be any one but Bubba. I spoke to him in the pits, he was alright.

Lets hope they don't do restrictors. I remember how well that worked on the RS750 Honda, Honda said bye bye. Do wish Indian would sell a motor or two, to take the pressure off the restrictor talk.

Lets hope they don't do restrictors. I remember how well that worked on the RS750 Honda, Honda said bye bye. Do wish Indian would sell a motor or two, to take the pressure off the restrictor talk.

Last year in the CW article, I thought they said they were going to sell complete bikes. :(

Either nobody has ponied up $100,000 for two bikes or buying FTR750s is like getting Honda kit parts; they are nominally for sale but no one can buy them.

HD is starting from a different place. The Indian is a clean sheet design with no relation whatsoever to a production engine. HD's XG is at least based on the Street 750. Development hasn't stopped. HD and V&H might still get there. My concern is whether Indian is in it for the long haul. Will they throw big bucks at a bike and star riders, dominate for season and then bail like so many MLB team owners have done to win a World Series? Will KTM, Triumph, BMW or Ducati even consider getting into the twins class with a production-based package while the Indians are so far ahead of everyone else? Will Yamaha finally come through and spend real money on the very promising FZ-07? Michael Lock and AFT claimed making the top class Twins-only would attract Euro brands and maybe the Japanese.

______

Had a good time at the Mile. All the Singles races were good. The Indians seemed to be sandbagging in the heats. Coolbeth even stayed close to the front in his heat. Come the Semis and Main, the Indians were in a different class. Halbert was several seconds back. Even Zanotti's Kawasaki (with some help from Bill Werner) couldn't see the front. Spectacular racing between Mees, Baker and Smith. Goosebumps watching them enter Turn 1 every lap of the Main. Was really pulling for an upset by Baker but Smith knows every trick in the book for Miles.

The FTRs and XGRs are beautifully turned out bikes. So much attention to detail and build quality is way, way above even very well built privateer bikes. Cool to see and I appreciate the work put into the bikes and the teams.

Finally, AFT announced they would enforce a long winked at sound limit after Round 3. They huge mufflers some of the teams (including Mees's Rogers Racing FTR) are hideous. Ugh.

Going way back in AMA history, isn't the current situation with Indian similar to the circumstances that led to the imposition of Class C rules, which IIRC, required a production based engine? Maybe not relevant today, but I'm curious.

[edited].....And Bubba? He isn't trying to be any one but Bubba. I spoke to him in the pits, he was alright.

yes, Bubba is alright - we featured him as a guest at the Buell mtg a few yrs back, & he was glib, self-deprecating, & mildly entertaining when discussing his jumping, stunts, etc.

however, speaking as both an experienced former track announcer & a decades-long FT race spectator & fan, I'll state that Bubba SUX on the PA - period

TT heats are running now. AFT Schedule moved up due to concerns about weather. Track layout looks fun.

WTF they are not using the grandstands?? Looks like everyone is sitting on the back hill or on small portable stands. I have attended both a ST and TT before the mile and the grandstands were used. Checked weather looks like the showers are going south and may miss the track.

Facility engineers said the arena grandstands are not safe to use.

Those Steve Nace All Stars Expert Heats were so much better than anything else on the program so far. Love seeing the best pros ride a TT on agile bikes. Looking forward to the Expert Main.

Those Steve Nace All Stars Expert Heats were so much better than anything else on the program so far. Love seeing the best pros ride a TT on agile bikes. Looking forward to the Expert Main.

^^^^^this^^^^^

back to the AFT Singles - Shayna doesn't make the semi; Stollings barely makes the Main; other points leaders' results vary from 'looking good' to 'struggling', so the Singles standings may look quite different tomorrow

can't wait for Bryar & the rest of the Experts to show em how.....

Last edited:
That was a good race.:thumbup
Love how much control #95 had, made going fast look so easy. :hail :hail

The mile tomorrow will be a different race.

Expert main coming up.

some post-Sp'fld takeaways:

- 3 Injuns & their pilots are simply dominant
- Halbert is super-determined & his strong private Yamaha looks to be improving
- while selected private Kawis are close, especially Fisher & Carver, they aren't 'there' yet
- tho' 3 Factory Harleys all made the Main [a 1st?], only Coolbeth is sorta competitive
- the private KTM's race arc is similar to old Sykes rides in SBK, being strong thru prelims & Q, then fading in long Finals
- Varnes' kid/nephew making his 1st Main in Dad/uncle's ancient 'Suzuki Boulevard'-branded SuperTracker leathers was too cool
- unless they go full bhurka, the Harley girls can't possibly don more clothes than their current full-length jeans & long-sleeved shirts [what's next, neck scarves & full gloves?]
- Bubba sux on the PA
- 2 69s [Jethro & Nicky] being remembered is more than doubly sad.....

Lets see if this will post. FB video of Johnny Lewis slide.

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanFlatTrack/videos/1542051209162311/

Back