• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Flat Track Racing Mega Thread - INCLUDES SPOILERS!

Phoenix Mile coming up. NBCSN or whatever showing up.

The coverage is great.

159 on Dish.

Enjoying Calistoga.

Looking into T1.

Attachments

• IMG_7546.jpg
    IMG_7546.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 67
I am right at start finish.
Complete with big screen.

Attachments

• IMG_7547.jpg
    IMG_7547.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 71
View towards T4.

Singles main in a couple minutes.

Mees killed it in Semi 2.

Attachments

• IMG_7548.jpg
    IMG_7548.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 58
This dude came from 5th to win Semi 1.

Attachments

• IMG_7538.jpg
    IMG_7538.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 59
Mees' performance could be called majestic. In a completely different class from everyone else.

Totally.. He was on fire. It is not often the racers have time to celebrate at the line.
Mees did that in style!
Photo by American Flat Track/Andrea Wilson

Sammy was strong on the Yamaha for sure. Big props to the young men from Salinas and Fremont. Good show boys!

Attachments

• Mees wins.jpg
    Mees wins.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 61
I was pulling for Sammy. I spoke to him in the pits, and talked to some of his guys earlier. Coming back to Calistoga had to bring up some horrible memories for the young man, and I was hoping he could write over that a bit. He made that bike work in a way that no one who wasn't on a Indian seemed to be able to do.

That said, watching Mees come into turn one was - to use an overused, but entirely appropriate term - awe inspiring. Before the red flag bunched up the field, we could hear his tires howling as he backed it in. There was so much grip on the groove (and no grip at all anywhere else) that it was like they were on asphalt. Mees clicked off lap after perfect lap as if to say, "Let me show you how it's done."

I'm not even that big a Mees fan (though I had a nice chat with Nicole and their new baby in the pits), but there is no denying that performance.

The groove seemed really small compared to previous races at Stoga...

Not sure why... seems to me coning the inside to spread the racing line would be something this series would do often.

:dunno I only watch the stuff. I just know when I watch stuff where passing is more than just a opportunity to to a mistake or a physical push is more interesting for me and the old racer in me says it would be more fun.

Had a fun night. Mees' pace was soul crushing. Seemed like Briar Bauman was struggling just enough to hold up Halbert, Smith, Baker before the red flag so I thought we'd see a closer race on the restart. My hopes were dashed before the next lap was complete. :laughing

Bauman did start to put pressure on Smith and Baker and the end so that made the night look a little better balanced between the Indian, Yamaha and Kawasaki. I know its not much but all three factory HD XG did make the Main and none had mechanicals which is probably their best result this season.

Singles Main provided enough close racing and drama to make up for Mees' later runaway. Congratulations to Tanner Dean. Haven't seen an update on Shipman's condition. Didn't look too bad. Was glad to see her stand up and walk away. All in all a remarkably incident-free night at Calistoga.

Sending the bikes through the spectator gate and along the fence to the podium/interview area was kind of silly. Halbert dumped his bike on the grass there after the main. It was a narrow area with a lot people. Baker looked really frustrated with the set up. Upside was fantastic weather and lots of paddock access. Shaded paddock access. One of my favorite things about FT is how accessible the riders and teams are to fans. Its like a whole extra layer of bullshit is removed compared to road racing or MX.

Saw the Hun twice but you were talking to a few people and I didn't want to interrupt.

I'm not a native Californian so I can never get over how beautiful some of the settings we have for racing are. Just a great night to be outside enjoying racing and watching the sun set over the north end of the Napa Valley. Even the roads to get the track are great.

Last edited:
One more thing. I was told that the Estenson team Halbert races for has taken delivery of the first customer Indian FTRs. Someone on another board said the broadcast mentioned several bikes had been delivered but I want to verify that. I guess its interesting because the Yamaha platform looks pretty solid (and $$$$'s less expensive).

It is such a beautiful area. Rolling in from Santa Rosa over the hill was great. Leaving in very dark conditions was a little chore, but so worth it.

You are right on the pits. Very nice and yes racers are accessible.

Me and da champ!

Attachments

• IMG_7539.jpg
    IMG_7539.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 61
They said 35 of 50 have been sold.

The bike is pretty trick. The motor and frame that supports it are so narrow compared to HD. Hugely so actually. The bike is so pretty. :drool

Bauman did start to put pressure on Smith and Baker and the end so that made the night look a little better balanced between the Indian, Yamaha and Kawasaki. I know its not much but all three factory HD XG did make the Main and none had mechanicals which is probably their best result this season.

This has got to be a frustrating season for them. Not sure how you ever make a production based motor even with that Swissauto race-only beast.

Singles Main provided enough close racing and drama to make up for Mees' later runaway. Congratulations to Tanner Dean. Haven't seen an update on Shipman's condition. Didn't look too bad. Was glad to see her stand up and walk away. All in all a remarkably incident-free night at Calistoga.

She looked clear-eyed as she waved to us from the cart on the way back to the pits. She's probably pretty sore today. Anyone who rides FT is courageous, and I'm loving seeing more women coming up.

Had a nice chat with Nicole Mees last night when I mentioned that I have an autographed shirt of hers from the last visit to Calistoga. She was a pioneer, and she could ride that XR like nobody's business.

Upside was fantastic weather and lots of paddock access. Shaded paddock access. One of my favorite things about FT is how accessible the riders and teams are to fans. Its like a whole extra layer of bullshit is removed compared to road racing or MX.

So true. When I arrived, I was annoyed that the paddock had been moved, but having it in the shade made sense.

Saw the Hun twice but you were talking to a few people and I didn't want to interrupt.

Next time, please interrupt. :cool It would have been great to chat with you. Every time I go to Calistoga I make random connections with people that can only happen when we interrupt. For instance, Max Klein came up during the heats, and hung out with us from time to time during the evening, and Max is always a good time.

I'm not a native Californian so I can never get over how beautiful some of the settings we have for racing are. Just a great night to be outside enjoying racing and watching the sun set over the north end of the Napa Valley. Even the roads to get the track are great.

This. When I was looking around last night at dusk, it was so beautiful. We're lucky to be here.

New TT event at the Sturgis Buffalo Chip this Sunday, August 6th. Track is more like a road race course than traditional kidney bean TT. I think there are four right turns with the track placed right on the grounds of the famous Buffalo Chip bar, campground and concert venue. Most turns are traditional wide FT format rather than the point-and-shoot corners seen at Daytona.

Brad Baker won a non-AMA singles event here last year. Baker commented on podium at Calistoga that this race should be really fun and he expects the rowdy crowd to throw beer cans at the racers. LOL. Should be fun to watch.

Side note: The AMA SupermotoWest Championship is racing the following weekend at the Buffalo Chip on a track which uses most of the TT course.

Times adjusted to reflect Pacific Daylight Time:

1:00pm - Practice starts for Twins and Singles
5:00pm - Heats/LCQs/Semis for both classes
7:00pm - Main events

Black Hills Half-Mile is Tuesday night.

thx for the schedule updates -

looking back to 'stoga, it's something like 7 AFT races in 5 weeks?

TODAY, on Fanschoice.tv

American Flat Track - Buffalo Chip TT
BUFFALO CHIP TT, STURGIS, SD
AUGUST 6, 2017 4:00PM EST

Going to be a big track, Twins will be fun to watch. Not like Daytona.

AMA-BUFFALO-CHIP-TT-HALF-MILE-TRACK-MAP.jpg

Better picture
20645382_1618620758172022_6144198526085127571_o.jpg

Last edited:
Loving this TT track. Looks like a blast to ride and its fun to watch. More people need Halberts steel balls because there are places to pass. Good sized crowd and they are right on top of the track. Cool.

DogBoy hope some others except you and I are enjoying the race.

Man with a van and a plan is on fire.:thumbup

Back