• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Flat Track Racing Mega Thread - INCLUDES SPOILERS!

I Wonder that itz not too early to say that, despite Slamminz progress, the H-Dz racing daze are numbered

yes, V&H team is developing the motor - however, the privateer Injuns are essentially stock, so once they receive their own development, they’ll be outta reach

dunno wutz left for the Kaws, development-wise - Woerner & the rest have been at it for years now & will likely need factory help to get much further

looks like balance out on the dirt is a delicate thing -
are we facing BSB/SBK-style, mfg-specific rules changes?

I believe that rule is place to keep manufacturers happy. I think Michael Lock mentioned in an interview that manufacturers were less likely to commit $$ to the series if teams change from one brand to another in the middle of an event.

that may be accurate, as well as the correct move in the big picture - dunno

I do know that privateers are (always!) cash-strapped & shouldn’t suffer the loss of an opportunity to Q & compete bcz some suits don’t like it

loading it all up in the truck without any $$ makes for a l-o-n-g drive to the next event (or home.....)

Hayden Gilliam will race in the AFT Twins class in four races in 2018 riding an Indian FTR750. Gilliam will race the Buffalo Chip TT, the Black Hills Half Mile, Peoria TT and Springfiled Mile 2. Great news. Gilliam is great on the TTs and I love seeing so many top roadracers crossing over.

No sponsor mentioned other than this is a continuing part of Gilliam and CycleWorld magazine's Man in a Van with a Plan effort that started two years ago when he was racing 1000cc Superstock in MotoAmerica. Another Indian FTR750 (or two?) in the paddock. These bikes are coming out of the woodwork.

Also: OKC Mile is this Saturday. Cushion Mile racing should be awesome.

That is cool. His goal of having fun is the right one. :thumbup

Flat Trackers heading to the Goodwood Festival.
What a great move to expose the sport and the skills of the guys who do it. :thumbup

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (June 13, 2018) – The 2018 Goodwood Festival of Speed, a 4-day-long celebration of motorsports history, design and technical achievement, and perhaps the most glamorous and anticipated motoring event of the year, is less than a month away – and American Flat Track will be there, showcasing some of its amazing riders and machinery on the world’s stage.

If you’ve been there, or watched a telecast over the last 25 years, you know Goodwood is a truly amazing spectacle: Exotic and legendary sports and racing cars and motorcycles on display on the perfectly manicured grounds, each racing one by one up a 1.16-mile stretch of driveway leading to the Duke of Richmond’s elegant country estate. It’s a narrow and tricky path up the hill, with thousands of fans lining the route as the drivers and riders push their machines to the limit – and there’s simply nothing like it on earth.

Seven American Flat Track competitors and their motorcycles will be there this July to greet the anticipated 100,000-plus fans and make the run up Goodwood’s wooded, hillside circuit: Indian Motorcycle factory team riders Brad Baker, Jared Mees and Bryan Smith along with their Scout FTR750s; Husqvarna-supported Shayna Texter and her FC 450; Stevie Bonsey and the Lloyd Bros. Ducati 821; Jeffrey Carver Jr. and four-time Daytona 200 winner Danny Eslick will both be aboard legendary Harley-Davidson XR750s.

Rider reaction to the invitation is understandably positive. “I’m stoked to be invited and have the opportunity to rub elbows with some of the world’s top racers and racing enthusiasts,” said Bryan Smith. “I’m really looking forward to the trip.”

“I’ve never been to the U.K.,” said Shayna Texter, “and I’m also a bit of a Harry Potter fan, so I’m excited about the trip and the Festival. It looks like a very cool event.”

“I’ve heard nothing but good things and how fun the event is,” said Brad Baker. “I’ve never seen an F1 car up close, so I’m looking forward to checking them out along with the rest of the exotic equipment.”

Gary Gray, Vice President – Racing, Service & Technology for Indian/Polaris, is similarly excited about the opportunity. “We are honored to have Indian Motorcycle and the Wrecking Crew of Jared Mees, Bryan Smith and Brad Baker invited to such a prestigious international event like the Goodwood Festival of Speed,” Gray said. “One of our goals was to help increase the global reach and appeal of the American Flat Track series. Being invited to an event that features the best of Formula 1 and MotoGP shows that we are definitely heading in the right direction under the guidance of Michael Lock and AFT.”

That is great news and a really big deal.

Michael Lock has been talking about trying to export an entire AFT event to Europe or Asia. This is a great first step.

Deleting due to Server Hiccup Double Post Syndrome.

Last edited:
This will rock their world at Goodwood. :thumbup

Bump as a reminder the OKC Mile is live streaming tomorrow night for FREE on Fanschoice.TV and the American Flat Track Facebook page. The only cushion mile on the schedule so expect lots of different lines and constant passing all night.

Twins entries look pretty healthy. I count:
11 Indian Scout FTR750
11 Kawasaki Ninja 650
3 Harley Davidson XG750R
4 Yamaha FZ-07
2 KTM LC8 950

Only 18 riders make the main.

Practice / Qualifying starts at 1:30pm PDT

Heats/Semis start at 4:15pm PDT

Singles Main at 7:00pm PDT

Twins Main at 7:40pm PDT

Man... how Harley has slid in numbers of bikes on the grid. :wow

Man... how Harley has slid in numbers of bikes on the grid. :wow

as we’re so often reminded @ vintage bike auctions,
a race bike is merely a tool, useful only so long as itz competitive

an XR750 wows us OGz bcz we deeply get how dominant a weapon
it was for 40 yrs - until it wasn’t.....

Posted HERE in the FTR1200 thread in General but cross-posting for the FT crowd.

Indian announced the production street bike version of the FTR1200. There is even a contest to win one. Check the BARF thread post linked above.

I entered so the rest of you guys are out of luck... :party

I already entered a second time using your name.

:laughing

Cool... carry on... and on... and on...!

That Singles Main was fantastic.

OK City Mile Singles was a great race. 3 riders for the lead all the way. Twins up next.

I don't know myself. I saw the AMA apology fly out.

Back