• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Flat Track Racing Mega Thread - INCLUDES SPOILERS!

Here is Davis Fisher's attempt at a victory wheelie after winning his Semi at the Black Hills Half Mile. I rate this way more Bautista than Biaggi.

[youtube]VTSvduPPt4U[/youtube]

Peoria TT is tomorrow afternoon. Henry Wiles is going for #14 in a row.

My usual enthusiasm for this race is dampened by the death of AFT Singles racer Alec Muth who succumbed to his injuries on Thursday which were the result of a multi-bike crash at the end of his heat race the Black Hills Half Mile 10 days prior. Muth death is the fourth in the AFT Singles class since September of 2016. Alec Mith was the oldest of the four though still just 22 years old. Others have suffered very severe injuries.

All of these incidents were the result of the Singles racing in such tight packs that when something happens there is no place to go. Racers either get run over of have severe collisions with other bikes. None of these incidents have involved walls or unprotected areas of the track. Poor track conditions at Santa Rosa contributed to at least one of the fatalities though racers were also packed closely together in that instance. I'm sure a similar incident will happen again if something doesn't change. I'm not sure what the answer is. The promoter of the Springfield Mile has excluded Singles from event for the last several years due to safety concerns (Singles run a TT in May and a short Track in September at Springfield on a different part of the same fairgrounds).

The Twins class doesn't have as many incidents like this but the four rider crash in Texas that sent Stevie Bonsey nearly twenty feet in the air proves the top class isn't immune from pile-ups. The Twins riders are more experienced and they do tend to get a bit more strung out around the track so one crash is less likely to collect other bikes and riders. The track at Phoenix deteriorated so badly during the evening last May that some of the Twins riders pulled out of the race during the Main event.

It seems counterintuitive but the problem may not be that 60hp Singles are too powerful, rather they are not powerful enough. The bikes may be too easy to ride fast which creates the big packs. Maybe abandoning the Singles for the Production Twins category limited to framers with tightly controlled engine regulations. Near stock Yamaha and Kawasaki twins would be cheap to build and maintain. The more challenging bikes may spread the pack out a bit. Or maybe mandate airbag racing suits and abdominal protection?

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Just very frustrated with these deaths and injuries. Racing is dangerous but that is not a reason to keep pursuing safety measures even if it means big changes.

Peoria Schedule - All Times Pacific
Free live streaming on FansChoice.TV and the American Flat Track Facebook page.

8:30am - practice and qualifying

12:00pm - Heats

12:50pm - Semis

1:45pm Singles Main Event

2:20pm Twins Main Event

Last edited:
Godspeed to Alec :rose

To your point of the racing being close and thus dangerous yeah.. it is, but being close is part of what makes it most enjoyable. I don't have a single suggestion on what to do beyond your suit and protection suggestion, which is a good one.

I like the singles racing a lot. Battling is part of the draw.
4 riders killed since '16. Wow... that is stunning when you put it in your face. :(

Godspeed to Alec :rose

To your point of the racing being close and thus dangerous yeah.. it is, but being close is part of what makes it most enjoyable. I don't have a single suggestion on what to do beyond your suit and protection suggestion, which is a good one.

I like the singles racing a lot. Battling is part of the draw.
4 riders killed since '16. Wow... that is stunning when you put it in your face. :(

yes, FT has all too frequently been deadly -
less so than in The Golden Age, true, yet still.....

R.I.P. Alec

Peoria Schedule - All Times Pacific
Free live streaming on FansChoice.TV and the American Flat Track Facebook page.

8:30am - practice and qualifying

12:00pm - Heats

12:50pm - Semis

1:45pm Singles Main Event

2:20pm Twins Main Event

Schedule got pushed back and will probably be condensed. AFT's Facebook says "on track action starts at 2:00pm" which is Noon Pacific. I'll update if I can find a complete new schedule.

I'm in Chicago for the better part of 9 weeks working on a project. I was actually back in the bay this weekend, so I missed the Peoria TT, which I've always wanted to attend.

However, I'll be in IL for the Springfield mile and I'm considering renting a car a heading down.

While I'm an AFT fan, I don't whatch or follow it enough to know if Springfield is generally a good race. I've never been to a mile, only Calistoga, so I imagine that alone makes it worth attending.

Anything I should know from the AFT faithful?

The Springfield Mile is the biggest race in the Flat Track world. Its the race every flat track racer wants to win. Springfield is the most historic mile race and a win there puts you in an elite club. The track has narrower radius corners and longer straights than other Miles so its the fastest true Mile track on the schedule.

Springfield Mile I in May was the only oval race Mees has lost this year and there are several riders who can challenge him at Springfield so it should be a great race.

There are two events for the September Springfield Mile. A short track race on Saturday night for the AFT Singles class and the Mile on Sunday for AFT Twins. There will also be a Production Twins class as part of the Mile program. Production Twins are framers with more restricted engines than the AFT Twins class and the Production Twins racers cannot be regulars in the premier AFT Twins class.

Both the AFT Singles and AFT Twins races are held at the Fairgrounds but at different facilities. Just a heads up, the AFT Singles short track race is run in conjunction with another series so there will be vintage, amateur, youth and many more classes that night in addition to the AFT Singles. Expect maybe 30 or 40 heats and a bunch of main events. Its a long night of racing.

Have a great time.

back to Peoria - results [pay special attention to P10]

https://www.americanflattrack.com/events/2018/view/peoria-tt-2018/results/1424707

yes, thatz rite, P10's an '80s 'ship-winning whip
[piloted by "I dunno who", into the Main]

life is full of surprises.....

I think its great that Mac McGrew still brings that RS out to race a few times a year. However, he finished last and didn't make the main. Because of the late start due to weather-related track prep delays, there were no heat races for the Twins, just the two semis and the Main.

Even though the wins by Janisch and Wiles were predictable, I still enjoyed Peoria. Its a difficult track and seeing somenoe ride it really well is special. Wiles was railing. Every lap it looked like he was going to lose the front in the braking bumps for turn 1 and in the R/L transition after the jump. Having Mees off the podium every once in a while is good for the series, IMO.

man, check this out [paragraph breaks mine]:

"jdbeach95 Well today I finally got to make the trip up to Chicago to visit @bradthebullet . I’m not going to lie on the drive up I had so many different emotions. This is one of my best friends and have grown up with him since we were 3 or 4. I wasn’t sure what to say or what not to say.

When we showed up, Brad was doing his first of three rehabs for the day. On a machine making his legs walk and he was cracking jokes. After we got to go eat some lunch and Brad was full business and racing. Getting straight to the point but that’s just Brad and it was really enjoyable.

After he had stuff to do here and there but it wasn’t until he had to do some chair training that I saw the Brad we’ve all come to know on the weekends. He was practicing jumping curbs. I just sat there and watched him and studied him. The focus and determination he had in his eyes and process he was thinking to achieve this goal is the same one I’ve seen from him when I’ve been lined up next to him before a race or watching just as a fan.

There’s still a lot of unknowns for him to come but the strength he has and the support and love he has around him I know he’ll be ok. And thank you to his girlfriend @kelceystauffer for answering all the questions we had that I’m sure she’s asked every time someone new comes to visit. #bulletstrong
"

https://twitter.com/JDBeach95/status/1030605060127031297?fl=4&cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjcw==&refsrc=email

Thanks for that JD (Curt). Out of sight and out of mind is easy to do. #bulletsrong sounds like what is happening.

Not a race bike but sooooo sexy.

More info here: https://www.hotbikeweb.com/buell-xb12-meets-harley-xr1200-in-hunter-klees-dirt-tracker

01-harley-xr1200-buell-xb12-bike.jpg

07-carbon-fiber-custom-bike.jpg

I'm in Chicago for the better part of 9 weeks working on a project. I was actually back in the bay this weekend, so I missed the Peoria TT, which I've always wanted to attend.

However, I'll be in IL for the Springfield mile and I'm considering renting a car a heading down.

While I'm an AFT fan, I don't whatch or follow it enough to know if Springfield is generally a good race. I've never been to a mile, only Calistoga, so I imagine that alone makes it worth attending.

Anything I should know from the AFT faithful?

Did you decide to go to Springfield this weekend?

Springfield Short Track this evening and Springfield Mile tomorrow afternoon. All with live FREE streaming on the American Flat Track Facebook page and Fanschoice.TV

Will Jeffrey Carver repeat? Will Kenny Coolbeth pull out all the stops in his last Springfield Mile? Will Henry Wiles finally get his first Mile win and complete the Flat Track Grand Slam? Will Bryan Smith get back on form? Anybody but Mees please.

Saturday, September 1 - Short track for AFT Singles

All times Pacific

5:00pm AFT Singles Heat Races

6:10pm AFT Singles Semis

7:35pm AFT Singles Main event

Note: Saturday is combined with the Steve Nace All-Stars so there will be several other classes and races on the program. Tons of racing

Sunday, September 2 - Springfield Mile for AFT Twins and Production Twins

All times Pacific

8:00am AFT Twins Practice and Qualifying

11:30am AFT Twins Heat Races

12:11pm AFT Twins Semis

1:20pm AFT Twins Main Event

echo chamber (LOL)

Beautiful day in Springfield for the 100th running of the Mile. Strong winds may affect the draft.

Think I'm ashamed to be the only one posting in this thread? Ha! I haven't even started to feel shame! It will be a cold day in Hell before...

Back on topic. Springfield Mile II was Flat Track Mile racing at its best. If you missed it live, be sure to catch the race on NBC Sports cable network. Gooooood stuff.

Last edited:
Back