• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

I want to run a marathon. (The running thread)

Better late than never right? Well, here's my photo account of my marathon. The pics of actually running are few and far between as there were not that many stations that were easy to get to for Tracy.

Up by 3:30 a.m.!!!! JFC!!! Could this thing be any earlier?

Anyway, the day started out a little early in the morning, which turned out to be a godsend by the end of the marathon.

3348816-sfm.1.jpg

My first race bib. Pinning it onto my singlet while having a light breakfast. At this point, I was still half asleep, and the realization of what was to come hadn't even hit me yet. Little did I realize what I would be putting my body through in the coming hours.

3348843-sfm.2.jpg

Last edited:
We drove into the city, a short drive with almost no traffic at that time of the morning.

I started getting a little nervous in the car, but felt it would not be that difficult since I felt I had trained hard for the event. We got hooked up with staff parking passes, so we only had to walk a block to get to our starting corral.

Here's my dad and Tracy looking chipper in the morning.

3348851-sfm.3.jpg

One of me and Tracy as well.

Tracy was uber supportive during my training, through my minor injuries, and was essential in making this happen for me. She knew that I was doing this for my dad, and helped me see this through. Thanks for all the encouragement and support babe, I couldn't have done this without you :love

This is about the last time for about 6 hours that I'll be wearing a self satisfied smile on my face :(

3348861-sfm.4.jpg

Last edited:
So the place is a madhouse at 4:15 in the morning, with volunteers and participants all over the place.

The race is set up to start in waves, with the faster and elite runner who will finish in a little over two hours in the front waves, and the rest of us on down the line until the 9th wave.

I was originally supposed to start in wave 8, but my dad and I decided we would run in wave 7 together in his wave. Here we are after finding our starting corral. It was seriously like being herded like cattle. Kind of a weird feeling, but I guess they have to manage the crowds somehow.

It's freaking cold, I have to pee, and I need a cigarette really badly.

3348886-sfm.5.jpg

People are talking and I think I hear that there are over 6000 marathoners signed up for this event, with a total of around 20,000 for all of the combined events. I also start hearing things about this being the marathon with one of the highest dropout rates in the country. I guess a lot of people start but DNF.

I'm starting to get nervous now.

So, while my dad is waiting for one of the hundreds of portolets that are set up, I sneak off for a cigarette (You guys should have seen some of the looks I was getting ;)).

While I'm at it, I ask Tracy to take a pic of me by the finish line, since I'm now feeling this might be the only one I'll get with me anywhere near it.

3348905-sfm.6.jpg

So all the participants have been corraled into the starting groups, and are sent out in waves. Tracy had to go catch the shuttle, so wasn't able to get our start, but I'm positive she wouldn't have been able to find us in the crowd. You can't really tell here, but all the competitors have now been bunched up on the north side of the Embarcadero, and are getting ready to be sent out on their respective starts.

3348917-sfm.9.jpg

So all throughout the field, there are these people with balloons and signs that are pace runners. They have their estimated finish time written on the placards and balloons. Tracy didn't get any pics of them, but I was amazed at their ability to accurately gauge their pace for all 26.2 miles.

Anyway, this next pic is of me running by Chrissie Field just before the hills in the Presidio and the GG Bridge. I'm running pretty good here, running 8-9 minute miles running 9 minutes and resting one, feeling strong.

I had a video camera with me for the first 4 miles to get the start, and film the run over the GGB, but the rig I had set up to attach to my fuel belt fell apart and ended up handing it off to Tracy as I went by here.

I did get some good clips of the madness at the start. I'll see if I can get them uploaded on You Tube or something.

3351096-sfm.10.jpg

Almost nine miles later, after crossing the GGB (it was cold, windy, and foggy, but it was quite an experience), we came down through the Sea Cliff neighborhood, through the outer Richmond, and into GG Park.

This picture was taken haf a mile or or so before the halfway marker, at around mile 12.6. At this time, I'm still feeling strong, cardio is good, pace is good. Shortly after this picture was taken, my dad and I crossed the half way mark together, with a time of 2:12:07.

3351146-sfm.11.jpg

Last edited:
Right after that, things start to head south for me.

Almost half a mile after the halfway point, I'm starting to get some numbness on the soles of my feet.

I start thinking already that perhaps doing most of my training on fire trails in the east bay may not have been the best preparation for this road race. My miles logged on pavement were insignificant.

A mile later, the each footfall suddenly starts to feel like I'm getting slapped on the soles of my bare feet with a wooden paddle. It's brutally intense.

I start to think also that maybe these shoes have way too many miles on them as I can feel the pavement on the soles of my feet with every footfall. And maybe that using the thinner socks for my longest run to date was not the brightest of ideas.

My mental game is falling apart from the pain.

By mile 15, I tell my dad to go ahead, that I have to decrease my pace.

I take water and painkillers at every aid station, and eventually end up chewing up the tablets in the hopes that I will get even minimally quicker absorption. The acrid taste in my mouth at least distracts me from the pain a little bit.

Over the next 7 miles, I have to decrease my pace at each rest period to the point where I'm jogging three minutes and walking three minutes by mile 22.5.

The water stations seem to be getting further and further apart.

I adjust my stride to ease my feet, and my ankles start to go. Then my knees go as well, and finally my hips start to stiffen up.

I want to quit so bad, I can't even tell you right now.

There were definitely three distinct times when I felt I could not go on and was ready to quit. When I literally felt like I wanted to just sit down by the side of the road and just wait til someone picked me up. I also knew that if I got off my feet there was no way I was getting back up.

The first was in GG Park, just before the exit to the park at Haight. There's a little shaded area the twisty path takes you through with really soft looking grass. There was a female rider there, a volunteer, on a blue SV650S. I don't remember exactly what she said, but she must have known I was about to quit. Something happened, the words I can't remember now gave me strength, and I was able to go on.

Only a few miles later, as I was approaching the turn to Mission Street, and once again I was ready to pack it in.

The SFPD diverted the route right in front of me to ease up on traffic, and one they moved the barriers and rounded the corner I suddenly found myself running on my own, with no one in front of me, down an abandoned Guerrero Street in a totally surreal moment. I was all alone. The thought occurred that I had been abandoned, that someone was playing a cruel joke, and that I would never reach the finish line. The nearest runner to me was perhaps 60 yards behind looking just as confused as me.

Running those blocks alone was probably one of the loneliest, but most peaceful experiences I have ever felt.

With the pain numbing my mind, I thought it would be real easy to fade away and disappear at this point. I was strangely ok with finishing right there, at the end of the next two blocks, before having to turn left again.

That left turn onto 16th Street, changed all that. I turned the corner to see a mass of people gathered around to cheer us on. I felt as if I had walked into my own private surprise party. As soon as I rounded that corner, it was like a solid wall of cheers, shouts, and support were trying to knock me off my feet and keep me going at the same time. Both sides of the street were strewn with people, with more coming out of doorways with every step. Every generation seemed to have come out to show their support, mothers with infants, children running alongside, elderly people, all smiling, cheering, waving little flags, running up with cut up bananas, bunches of grapes, and paper cups filled with water.

The Mission was a pleasure to run through. It seemed as though they were all out en force to show their support, but my legs just were not going to hold out much further. I made it through the Mission, and that energy got me to Potrero Hill. By this time, every step was pure agony.

3351248-sfm.12.jpg

Last edited:
So I need something more, I need something to keep me going. My dad is way ahead of me, and it's been almost two hours since I've seen Tracy. In characteristic unfair fashion, I decide to make the excuse that if she is not there at the last shuttle stop at mile 22.5, I am just gonna call it quits. I come up on the water station, pick up some water, and keep my eyes out peeled for my baby. I don't see her and start to get discouraged. As I'm despairing, thinking she either took off thinking she missed me, or she was unable to get here, I finally see her. She's jumping up and down with tears in her eyes as I come over and tell her I just can't go any further. I think this pic really says it all.

3351298-sfm.13.1.jpg

If it hadn't been for Tracy's encouragement, I would have been done. She actually videotaped me saying how much it hurt and how badly I wanted to stop. She talked me into finishing, and I did not want to disappoint.

I also did not want to let down my dad. My original goal in starting training for the marathon, was to give something of myself to my father. For 30 years, we did not get along, and as such, I realized I had never really done anything for my father.

When he told me he was coming to SF to run the marathon, I jokingly mentioned to Tracy that I should run it with him. She thought it was a great idea, but we both thought it was impossible. There was no way I could run a marathon.

The more I though about it, the better it sounded, and it became a possibility. I signed up, decided I would surprise my dad, and began my training while still recovering from some injuries.

After all that, and after seeing the look on my father's face when we told him two days prior, I decided there was no way I could not finish. I would crawl to the finish line if I had to.

My dad waited for me at the finish.

3351326-sfm.14.jpg

Half an hour later, barely able to pick up my feet, there I came.
Actual chip time: 5:12:37

3351335-sfm.16.jpg

Looking a little better after a brief rest and a cigarette :smoking

It was a good thing the race started when it did, and I feel for those who still had to finish behind me, since the fog had just started to burn off, the the sun was brutal.

3351383-sfm.18.jpg

Having a BBQ lunch with some of the volunteers. Maybe have a BARF volunteer contingent next year?

3351387-sfm.19.jpg

And finally, a special thanks to the two people that really made this happen. :love

3351388-sfm.20.jpg

Oh, and although I told myself immediately after the race that I would never, ever do that again, I am thinking now that I could have done much better, and am thinking of doing it again :p

Back