• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

I want to run a marathon. (The running thread)

I ran a half marathon today too. After a short little bike ride and swim :)

A good running shoe does make a BIG difference ... Got myself fit at FleetFleet, Menlo Park. They made me run on several shoes and i picked up the best... expensive though :cool. Faster pace, yet very comfortable. [i am under 9min/mile now]

I also realized that Whey Protein off Walmart is not really a good Recovery drink. Any suggestions? I sometimes use mix of Electrolyte powder+Baby Pedialite.

A good running shoe does make a BIG difference ... Got myself fit at FleetFleet, Menlo Park. They made me run on several shoes and i picked up the best... expensive though :cool. Faster pace, yet very comfortable. [i am under 9min/mile now]

I also realized that Whey Protein off Walmart is not really a good Recovery drink. Any suggestions? I sometimes use mix of Electrolyte powder+Baby Pedialite.

Based off a few articles, you should consume mostly carbohydrates and some proteins within half an hour of your run. And restoring your electrolytes is a pretty good idea but I think you have that covered.

Congratulations Jenn... I am hoping to participate in the North Face event on Dec 8.

So, amongst all the participants how many would be above the 9min mark?

Nice finish!!

I finished in 2:20:32. Haven't ran much since Morgan Hill Half, but my times are pretty consistent.

Hopefully the runner is okay. There were two ambulances attending to him by the time I strolled by.

Here's my Strava link:
http://app.strava.com/activities/96919335

Here are official results:

Overall: 1280 out of 4664
Women: 386 out of 2516
F 40-44: 33 out of 290
Age/Grade: 61.97% Place: 765
Finish: 1:52:05 Pace: 8:33
Tag Time: 1:52:05
Gun Time: 1:52:23

Split Times
5.4 Mi: 44:06 Pace: 8:10
9.1 Mi: 1:15:35 Pace: 8:19
10.4 Mi: 1:27:14 Pace: 8:24
11.2 Mi: 1:34:42 Pace: 8:28

Time includes stopping to pet dogs 3x, stopping to drink 2x, and stopping to pee 1x... probably could do faster if I didn't stop so much. I also slowed down when a runner ahead of me was getting CPR near the 9.67 mi mark (loop back to university and turn around) - it was kind of disturbing to run by him twice. His face was purple but he is so lucky that a group of UCSF doctors were watching the race and attended to him (I gotta say - when I saw a group of people pumping his chest and breathing into his mouth, I thought they looked EXTREMELY proficient).

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2013/11/24/two-berkeley-runners-win-citys-first-half-marathon-race/

Glad everyone had a great time! I hit the wall at the 5 mile marker. I know, how is that freaking possibly?! Although I carbo-loaded a few days prior to the race, I neglected to eat dinner the night before, woke up 30 minutes before the race and kinda of put my body through hell. Needless to say, I wasn't all that prepared but it was a good/bad learning experience!

Time to prepare for the SF Marathon...in two weeks :)

The only decent race photo I have ever had was free at the ultra I did last month, go figure. At least my mom gets some good motorcycle racing photos of me. I'm convinced she became an EMT and amateur photographer to be on track when I eat shit :laughing

Congratulations Jenn... I am hoping to participate in the North Face event on Dec 8.

So, amongst all the participants how many would be above the 9min mark?

You can go to www.Athlinks.com and look up the results from last year.

Can anyone please suggest a public track around Fremont or Redwood City area for intermediates and tempos? Its kind of inconvenient on the street.

Can anyone please suggest a public track around Fremont or Redwood City area for intermediates and tempos? Its kind of inconvenient on the street.

Back