• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

I want to run a marathon. (The running thread)

When does it drop your blood pressure? At rest or during activity? I think if my BP went any lower, I'd be in trouble, LOL!

Just did a search on beet root juice as a super food -- and some of the articles are saying to go with commercial products rather than juicing at home. Sounds a bit like a fad to me but since I have a juicer and eat stuff like that anyway, it's all the same to me, ymmv!

I mean like your overall blood pressure...like when the doctor puts the stethoscope around your arm. I'd skip the commercial products. Who knows what funky stuff that put in there.

Any who, yay for the first Berkeley Half!

I can't help but think that there has to be some balance between going 16 miles without drinking anything and over-hydrating and pissing yourself (really?!?!) -- both sound quite extreme, and since I am neither a therapist nor a trainer -- I don't have any more specific advice for you!
Well really it is just that I like to go light on my fun runs. I know I can go for 2-3 hours (depending on weather) without fluids, so a 16 mile run with nothing isn't a stretch. It isn't something I would do in a race. On the race where I pissed myself it was colder then I anticipated and just over hydrated. Knowing that if I stopped to piss I would have missed my goal time, I said fuck it and went. I did make my goal time, no regrets.

As far as distances go, I think I'm good with the half marathon distance -- there are many other things I can do with the extra two hours it would take me above my usual 1:50 (overall time takes into account stopping to pee, getting drinks, tying shoelaces, petting dogs and taking pictures).
I still think my favorite distance is 5/10k (tied?), but this trail ultra was definitely something special, which is why I am already looking into my 2014/15 schedule. I personally don't like 13.1, and only have done 26.2 because it feels like a challenge getting passed 18 miles.

Just running a half marathon is enough - I don't have to prove much beyond that because I'm middle aged and have had ACL reconstruction on both knees (plus a bunch of other stuff).
I love pushing my limits as far as I can. I do have something to prove to myself. I know I won't impress anyone else out there because I can't go faster or farther then the competition, but I love the feeling of testing my own limits.

I also support Alcatraz swims because - more than the awesome view - I like participating in shutting down a major shipping channel in one of the busiest ports in the world. That's a pretty awesome power to have, even just for a short time.
I really don't like swimming, but the Escape From Alcatraz races sound cool. Something that I will have in the back of my head as a maybe.

And, yes - I do see the irony of posting this on a motorcycle forum. Life is complex.
I also love endurance motorcycle races too :D

Is this a good thread for a newb to ask questions? I am preparing for half-marathon and this week will be my 3rd week. Should i post my stats for feedback?

Is this a good thread for a newb to ask questions? I am preparing for half-marathon and this week will be my 3rd week. Should i post my stats for feedback?

Absolutely, though with only being a week out, there isn't much advice to give right now except don't push it this week. Make all your runs easy and low stress. And don't change any of your eating habits the day or two before the event.

^^ Thanks ! ... So some stats below :

1hr run @ ~ 90% HR ... avg at 6.1mph , mostly flat terrain. No breaks. Goal is to get HR down at the same speed.

Height : 5'-6"
Current weight : 178lb dry. [overweight, i know. but i have thicker bones per my Doctor]

Food : very restricted. [+ no alcohol, soda, other aerated/mixed drinks]

As i am reading, i would need to be at > 6.5mph in the 2nd hour, so thats ~ 7mph at the first hour. Is my assumption correct?

If this is your first, then I would slow down and run a comfortable pace. Learn from your first experience and bring that to your next event. Just make your goal to finish, unless you are a long term runner with a lot of experience already.

Keep your HR closer to the 70% area and just enjoy it. And start the first half slower then you want, you can make up for it the second half. My last marathon was run about 10 seconds a mile slower the first half, 10 seconds faster the second half, I broke even and met my goal time.

Don't worry about your weight right now. If you stick to running then your weight goals might shift. If your running takes you into a different sport then more strength might be desired, or keep running and less weight may be the goal. Back when I was 200 pounds, 160 was my goal. That has since changed.

Last edited:
Thats my dream goal. Wonder, if i can ever achieve ;)

Just take your time. Weight loss takes time to do it right. Just make minor adjustments to your diet and slight adjustments to your work out routine and you will eventually get there.

Just to be clear, you don't go on a diet, you change your diet. You have to make life long changes not temporary ones. So if you are used to eating double cheeseburgers every day (like I was), then cutting them out over night will not last. Just adjust to single cheeseburgers and go from there. If you are used to not working out at all, then trying to do two hours every day is going to burn yourself out, so just do 20 minutes every other day and go from there.

I started running in 2009 because I wanted to say that I ran a marathon once in my life, I was 200 pounds at the time. I didn't have any other goal then finishing. My first run was 1.5 miles and I struggled to make it home, I think it took me nearly 20 minutes. Four years later I am nothing like that person in almost any way, all done with small adjustments.

Before and after photos. I was about 185 pounds (I lost 15 in the 6 or so months of training for the marathon) in the red. I'm about 140 now.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Just take your time. Weight loss takes time to do it right. Just make minor adjustments to your diet and slight adjustments to your work out routine and you will eventually get there.

Just to be clear, you don't go on a diet, you change your diet. You have to make life long changes not temporary ones. So if you are used to eating double cheeseburgers every day (like I was), then cutting them out over night will not last. Just adjust to single cheeseburgers and go from there. If you are used to not working out at all, then trying to do two hours every day is going to burn yourself out, so just do 20 minutes every other day and go from there.

I started running in 2009 because I wanted to say that I ran a marathon once in my life, I was 200 pounds at the time. I didn't have any other goal then finishing. My first run was 1.5 miles and I struggled to make it home, I think it took me nearly 20 minutes. Four years later I am nothing like that person in almost any way, all done with small adjustments.

Before and after photos. I was about 185 pounds (I lost 15 in the 6 or so months of training for the marathon) in the red. I'm about 140 now.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Pretty amazing transformation dude!!:thumbup

I just found this thread again and I just started running a little bit again for the first time in 24 years. So I signed up and ran the Morgan Hill half marathon two weeks ago. I didn't train much at all since I was worried about my shins. They used to hurt in high school when I ran cross country....:laughing

I finished at a leisurely pace of 9:40 mile and 2:07 total for the half.

Now I want to train:thumbup:teeth

Hi,

In my quest to check mark all things I need to do before dying, I have "run a marathon" on the very top of my priority right now.

About 2 years ago, I was physically a complete mess! I could not run on the treadmill for 2 minutes straight! I have slowly built up my endurance and strength, but I have not formally attempted at training for a marathon.

I know there are lot's of documentation like this online, but I would rather hear from real-world folks. Currently, I can jog for about 5-miles, at a 10minute/mile pace.

What type of regimen would I need to focus on?

Also, how should my diet change / if at all? I eat pretty healthy (sandwich/salads for lunch, and chicken breast for dinner)

I know it's going to take lots of time and commitment, but I know I can do it and when i'm determined to do something, nothing stops me.

Thanks for any tips and advice.

So whatever happened Stan????

Awesome transformation :thumbup

Before and after photos. I was about 185 pounds (I lost 15 in the 6 or so months of training for the marathon) in the red. I'm about 140 now

Just came back from a 1.5 hour run ... clocked ~ 8.4 miles, flat terrain and maintained ~ 85% HR ... So, i am still < 6mph & its still on a flat terrain.

My question is :

1. I have a small inseam, a little less than 29" and when i attempt longer strides, i strain myself. With shorter (normal to me strides) my HR is beautiful between 80-85 and i can maintain it 20/25 mins, no problem but speed drops as low as 5.5mph ... Runkeeper on the iPhone showed pace = 10.46 but i think it is very error prone. Would a different flat shoe help?

2. What other variations should i bring to my training schedule?

Last edited:
1hr run @ ~ 90% HR ... avg at 6.1mph , mostly flat terrain. No breaks. Goal is to get HR down at the same speed.

Don't worry too much about the HR and speed for now. Just concentrate on building a base. And as you progress, throw in a few speed workouts, which certainly is a good idea if done with other runners. There's some psychological effect (and based on a few research papers, the times dropped with competition compared to without competition).

Will you be there? Sign up! We could have Team BARF! Maybe we could get BARFers to come out and show support and hold up signs even if they don't want to run 13.1 or 5k. That would be fun. I can't even get my brother to bring my nephews out for any of my runs. :(

Yep. And volunteering (because your admission into any of the races is waived)! I'll be doing the half. Course looks really bittersweet. The gradual downhill on University looks lovely but the pavement...my oh my. A BARF support group would be plenty awesome!

Come out and do the 5K at the Berkeley Flat Half![/IMG]
Bit of a drive, I'm about 10 hour drive away.

Looking pretty skinny in that second photo - do you do any weight lifting? Can I make you a nice sandwich?[/IMG]
I lift to failure twice a week. I'm a big proponent for weight training. Really pays off during the motorcycle endurance races. I'm pretty happy about my weight. Ideally I would like to be closer to 130 for running, 145 for triathlon. I'm pretty close to my tri weight now, but I'm still about 5 pounds low on muscle mass and 3 pounds heavy on fat. But again, pretty happy.

Make it a veggie sandwich, I eat very little meat anymore.

Btw, you're about 10lbs less than I am in the second photo - how tall are you (I'm 5'10")?[/IMG]
I'm 5' 8".

My calculated body fat is in the range of professional athletes (9%'ish), which is still much lower then what is ideal for the average healthy person.

They used to hurt in high school when I ran cross country....:laughing
Sounds like form.

With shorter (normal to me strides) my HR is beautiful between 80-85
Try keeping your stride short, 180 or so steps per minute area. Completely forget about your speed all together and go with comfort. With comfort comes speed.

I can't help here, but find a good running store that will set you up with the right shoes for you. The store I currently use down here will figure out your style of running with an interview and tests and try out as many shoes as you need until you are comfortable.

And what Jenn said.

Lot's of good stuff here, Sidewalk you rock. Way to go.

I raced in the 135-140 pound area, one hour 10 miles, 36 minute 10k. I loved doing 18-22 mile cross country runs. Now I'm 155 :laughing. I was as skinny as Sidewalk at 135.

You have to run the pace your body sets. There is a reason that the guys winning marathons are 6'2" tall, weigh 130 pounds and have really long legs. I ran my feet and knees into serious injury trying to get into 5 minute + miles. My body worked great at 6 minute miles. At 5:45 my knees went.

Last edited:
Are you using Stepahtlon to measure it? phone apps are really inaccurate. OR, maybe i can set the timer & count.

Try keeping your stride short, 180 or so steps per
minute area.

Any recommendations? I have no clue here in Bay Area. I once checked at the Nike store at Great Mall, but they pointed me to some $$$ shoes.

but find a good running store that will set you up with the right shoes for you. The store I currently use down here will figure out your style of running with an interview and tests and try out as many shoes as you need until you are comfortable.

Thanks Jenn ..

btw - I just broke up today's run into 2 segments of 35min each & was able to clock an average pace of 9.15..

I am thinking of doing multiple short segments until i am comfortable with a decent pace, then subsequently add higher elevation changes and increase the time. Does that sound like a decent training plan?

Plenty of sofa/tent space to go around... hey! How'd you end up on BARF? That's really outside the Bay Area!
I lived in Alameda for 7 years. I was stationed there.

So you're around 150? I have to say - around 130, I look like a candidate for intervention for an eating disorder (I've only gotten that low by accident once since puberty - on a 3 week vacation in the Caribbean).
I'm about 140 and though I don't lift for bulk, so I have never tried, but I'm sure I could bench my weight. I'll try after my next race.

OK - here, I made an extra from my picnic for today - Hodo smoked jalapeno tofu with red pepper hummus, avocado, red onion, baby arugula from my garden and homemade green tomato-black pepper jelly on sourdough.
Now we're talking.

Sidewalk you rock. Way to go.

Thanks, but I mostly roll :(

I had a friend die several years ago that lived life to the fullest. He died in the most mundane way, not from all the stuff that people warned him from doing.

Are you using Stepahtlon to measure it? phone apps are really inaccurate. OR, maybe i can set the timer & count.
In my case I have a sports watch (Garmin 310XT) for that. But you can do it the old fashion way just like checking your HR. Count your steps for 15 seconds, times 4, equals SPM. Shorter is better then longer. Try going for a short run in a grassy field or on the beach barefoot. Note how you naturally run barefoot, and try to repeat that in your normal running.

Any recommendations? I have no clue here in Bay Area. I once checked at the Nike store at Great Mall, but they pointed me to some $$$ shoes.
Well, first off, fuck that company. I won't have anything to do with that brand period.

I have been using a larger store locally, but to try and support a smaller store I'm going to try and check out some more smaller local places too. But for starters, if you can get to a Road Runner Sports they will definitely point you in the right direction. I'm pretty sure they don't work on commission, based on how they have treated me.

btw - I just broke up today's run into 2 segments of 35min each & was able to clock an average pace of 9.15..

I am thinking of doing multiple short segments until i am comfortable with a decent pace, then subsequently add higher elevation changes and increase the time. Does that sound like a decent training plan?
I think you have been told by three experienced runners to forget about speed for now and worry about comfort. So, yeah.

That would be great! How does volunteering work for an event like that? Do you get in your time before the race day?

Yep. I'll be handing out race bibs the day before the race at a brewery of all places :laughing

You're in Mountain View, right? Perhaps you should head over to Los Altos. On Your Mark (http://www.onyourmarkperformance.com/index.html) seems like a pretty legit mom and pop shop. Running shoes are not the cheapest shoes! But once you know what works for you, you can buy them online for much cheaper. It's a one time investment!

Back