• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

If you crash or break down, & need help getting your bike home...

This only works if you have a smartphone type cell? What about the peeps who only have straigt cellphone with no browser app?

This only works if you have a smartphone type cell? What about the peeps who only have straigt cellphone with no browser app?

from the first page with instructions
"
1)PM me... my cell phone sends a notification when I get a PM... THEN:
2) Post it up in General, and ask that someone who knows me TEXT ME- Texts get read, even if I'm at work, while a voicemail may get missed. Be sure to include your general location (Hiway 9 near Boulder Creek, Hiway 1 near Tomales, etc). By posting up in General, it also gives every BARFer who sees the thread the opportunity to jump in and help who may not even be on the Volunteer list, which could be a good (and fast!) thing if I'm out riding!"

looks like its best to make some friends or pm connie and talk to her about getting her number:leghump
or get a new phone:laughing
either way there is a solution that someone will be glad to help with.

Connie may i suggest a google voice number that texts you as well that you can put up for situations like this? you dont have ot give your number out and can have it text you and whomever else is willing to be a first contact. tryign to figure out why i didnt think of this earlier.

"
2) Post it up in General, and ask that someone who knows me TEXT ME- Texts get read, even if I'm at work, while a voicemail may get missed. Be sure to include your general location (Hiway 9 near Boulder Creek, Hiway 1 near Tomales, etc). By posting up in General, it also gives every BARFer who sees the thread the opportunity to jump in and help who may not even be on the Volunteer list, which could be a good (and fast!) thing if I'm out riding!"

looks like its best to make some friends or pm connie and talk to her about getting her number:leghump

Connie may i suggest a google voice number that texts you as well that you can put up for situations like this? you dont have ot give your number out and can have it text you and whomever else is willing to be a first contact. tryign to figure out why i didnt think of this earlier.

Very interesting indeed, had not considered the limitations of the technology.

Sound ideas though! :thumbup

Call a friend who can post up for you?
Eventually this thread should be trimmed and just the instructions left in place. The title implies the broken down biker should post here :dunno

Call a friend and have them post up for you. If they're not a BARFer, give them your account information and walk 'em through it.
Generally, on a Group Ride, at least one person is going to have a Smartphone! :)

"

Never heard of a Google voice number... but the problem with this is that people will completely bypass the whole "PM me, AND post in General" thing... I've had people in the past who had my number from a previous rescue who decided to just shoot me a text... and they ended up sitting on the side of the road for 2 hours getting mad as hell at me- while I was up in the mountains on my first vacation in years, with NO cell coverage, and NO internetz. They finally got tired of waiting, and posted up in General- and were promptly rescued within 10 minutes.

Call a friend who can post up for you?
Eventually this thread should be trimmed and just the instructions left in place. The title implies the broken down biker should post here :dunno

Yes, call a friend who can post up for you. Additionally, please feel free to post in this thread, as I (and several of the Roadside Angels) get a notification that there's a post in the thread. Just one more way to make sure all bases are covered! :thumbup

Yes, call a friend who can post up for you. Additionally, please feel free to post in this thread, as I (and several of the Roadside Angels) get a notification that there's a post in the thread. Just one more way to make sure all bases are covered! :thumbup

I've been getting a number of email notifications today....... :x

Your welcome... Please in the future...all riders needing assistants.You need to post up a fresh thread in general stating your location,broken down or crashed, name and phone number.

You can post in here with the link to the general thread you created.

thanks,
Daniel

just a little confusing.

OK, guys, here's the instructions from the original post (updated as of this morning)... this should make it perfectly clear (I hope).

INSTRUCTIONS:

2) Post it up in General, and ask that someone who knows me TEXT ME- Texts get read, even if I'm at work, while a voicemail may get missed. Be sure to include your general location (Hiway 9 near Boulder Creek, Hiway 1 near Tomales, etc). By posting up in General, it also gives every BARFer who sees the thread the opportunity to jump in and help who may not even be on the Volunteer list, which could be a good (and fast!) thing if I'm out riding!
3) As "extra" coverage, you can also post up in this thread- I'm subscribed to it, so I get notifications when there's a new post (as do some of the other Roadside Angels! :) )

If you think you can fix the bike and ride it home, please update your post that you no longer need help! And remember- this is for emergencies only, when you're stranded, and have no other options!

PLEASE INCLUDE CONTACT INFORMATION- and be sure to go back later and edit out your number. But being able to get in contact with you will help me figure out where you are to get someone as close to you as possible out to help, and let you know someone's on the way (as well as an ETA), and allow you to let me (or the volunteer) know if you no longer need assistance.

After the posts the last couple of days from people who crashed and needed help, I thought I should put this up. I have a private "emergency contact" list of people willing to help in various locations around the Bay, in the event I can't get there myself. No one should be stranded on the side of the road, hurt, wondering how much damage they took, the bike took, and how they're getting home, let alone the bike.

I'll either arrange for one of my awesome "Roadside Angel" volunteers to help, or come get you myself.

If you have a truck & ramp, and are willing to be on the contact list, please let me know. The more names I have, the better the chance of getting someone out right away. PM me with your name, phone number, and your city. I'll add you to the list, and thank you for your willingness to help out fellow BARFers! :)

Indeed. And I'd call AAA too. It's about covering all bases and getting the heck out of the side of the road ASAP.

Thanks for the good work, Connie. This barf freebie is worth millions.

Actually, Marc, if you're calling Triple A, then go ahead and let them handle it... the last thing I want to do is ask a volunteer to drop whatever they're doing to drive out and rescue someone- only to have them show up after the tow truck has already scooped you up off the side of the road. I'd feel really bad about sending someone out and not have anyone be there...

I once left a date with a really cute guy I really liked spending time with, to drive all the way up to Woodside to rescue someone, who made other arrangements before I got there. By the time they got home to PM me that they didn't need help, I was already up on 84 and well out of cell coverage.
That day started out with so much promise... but ended up being disappointing on soooo many levels... :laughing

Last edited:
It's not going to be a waste

I once left a date with a really cute guy I really liked spending time with, to drive all the way up to Woodside to rescue someone, who made other arrangements before I got there. By the time they got home to PM me that they didn't need help, I was already up on 84 and well out of cell coverage. That day started out with so much promise... but ended up being disappointing on soooo many levels... :laughing
If you show up and my bike is gone, and all that is left is your pretty blue eyes, a cute get up and my bruised ego, oh Lord, I promise you won't be disappointed. ;)

But point taken.

Last edited:
Texted Connie. Site tight and I'll keep you posted. Will text you in a sec

Already working on it in the other thread. Nonsequitur is on his way. I had tried calling Connie but got her voicemail.

Already working on it in the other thread. Nonsequitur is on his way. I had tried calling Connie but got her voicemail.

If you get voicemail, text her. SMS text has a much better success rate when cell phone reception is marginal.

If you get voicemail, text her. SMS text has a much better success rate when cell phone reception is marginal.

THIS. Additionally, if I'm driving, I can't write down phone numbers and names and where they are from a voicemail message. If someone has posted up looking for help, and you have my cell number, please shoot me a text- include city/location, person's name, and their phone number. Makes it much easier! :)

Hi Connie, All,
So I have been intrigued with the possibilities of this little app called WAZE which I believe is a cell phone based, GPS based tracking program that you can turn on or off. It's not something I have on all the time, but I do see the many possibilities that this could be useful.

From the ability to see traffic, road hazards, LEO's, and each other, the thing I think is most useful would apply in the ability to let people know you are broken down, and a responder would be able to see you and then coordinate an efficient response. Or possibly, if you were to crash and be off the main road, people would be able to have your approximate location.

Of course this app is cell phone based so I believe you have to be able to be on the cell phone data grid for this app to work. But it is used internationally and available across the US.

If you have the app or are going to download it, I started a group called "BARFers"

about WAZE

Connie, do you think this could help in responses to those who need assistance. You could also see where your "Travelling Angels" are and see who is closest of those who say they can assist and turn on the app to let you know where they are.:teeth And the person who is awaiting the response could see how close the responder is getting to them. :teeth

Last edited:
Back