• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

If you crash or break down, & need help getting your bike home...

Good job, Solomon! Your timing was perfect! :thumbup

Can someone please text her for me please? I need someone to tow a bike from Vacaville to San Francisco for me please. Urgent!

Did you crash or break down? Why is it urgent?

Just saw it. I'm confused, though. This does not sound like an emergency. :dunno

Just saw it. I'm confused, though. This does not sound like an emergency. :dunno

He text me, I asked whats up.. but waiting to see what Connie posts, as she is calling him.

I'm 2 hours away, and will cost him about $100 in diesel... if I go. I would guess someone else is closer, but I'll go if he feels the $100 is worthy of his urgency.

I see he has deleted the text in his original thread. Like school in Summer time....

He text me, I asked whats up.. but waiting to see what Connie posts, as she is calling him.

I'm 2 hours away, and will cost him about $100 in diesel... if I go. I would guess someone else is closer, but I'll go if he feels the $100 is worthy of his urgency.

Spoke with him a little bit ago. Definitely not an emergency... he's trying to buy a bike and wants to get it home, and apparently the seller is putting a lot of pressure on him- the old "if you don't buy it now, someone's buying it tomorrow" deal.

Spoke with him a little bit ago. Definitely not an emergency... he's trying to buy a bike and wants to get it home, and apparently the seller is putting a lot of pressure on him- the old "if you don't buy it now, someone's buying it tomorrow" deal.

Yeah, when a seller does that, I say 'no thanks'.

But ... its his $$$

I hope that you would not have gone and helped, b/c this is not the purpose of this perk (yes, is a perk, not a right) of being a member here.

I hope that you would not have gone and helped, b/c this is not the purpose of this perk (yes, is a perk, not a right) of being a member here.

For me personally, this would have been about 4-1/2 hours of driving and loading/unloading time. If someone had crashed, and I didn't have a volunteer to help them, I absolutely would have rolled out. No way I'm leaving someone broken down or crashed on the side of the road... especially in weather like this.

This wasn't that type of situation at all, although it sort of implied a breakdown... and while I don't mind helping someone pick up a bike, I can't do something like that last minute on a work night...

For me personally, this would have been about 4-1/2 hours of driving and loading/unloading time. If someone had crashed, and I didn't have a volunteer to help them, I absolutely would have rolled out. No way I'm leaving someone broken down or crashed on the side of the road... especially in weather like this.

This wasn't that type of situation at all, although it sort of implied a breakdown... and while I don't mind helping someone pick up a bike, I can't do something like that last minute on a work night...

^^ditto

so is this help free? if im in trouble say concord, can i still count on this help? i wouldnt mind paying for the gas but just the thought of paying 400 plus for a tow to get my babyback gives me shivers down my spine..

so is this help free? if im in trouble say concord, can i still count on this help? i wouldnt mind paying for the gas but just the thought of paying 400 plus for a tow to get my babyback gives me shivers down my spine..

Yes, free.

No fees from BARF or anything. Just us helping each other.

Paying for gas is all I ask if I come come out... basically, my expenses. I donate the time and my wonderful conversation is always free.

The expectation is that you cover the expense of getting you scooped up, getting you home, and getting the person who scooped you up home... it shouldn't cost a volunteer to do this, although I've covered expenses more than once.
As far as location, well, I have volunteers way up in Northern California, and as far south as San Diego... managed to work out a rescue in San Luis Obispo once! Obviously, most are here in the Bay Area... but to date, no one's been told "sorry, can't help you".
You might consider looking into an AMA membership, they offer something like 5 free tows a year... plus they do a lot of good politically for all of us as riders.

The expectation is that you cover the expense of getting you scooped up, getting you home, and getting the person who scooped you up home... it shouldn't cost a volunteer to do this, although I've covered expenses more than once.
As far as location, well, I have volunteers way up in Northern California, and as far south as San Diego... managed to work out a rescue in San Luis Obispo once! Obviously, most are here in the Bay Area... but to date, no one's been told "sorry, can't help you".
You might consider looking into an AMA membership, they offer something like 5 free tows a year... plus they do a lot of good politically for all of us as riders.

Well said, and great advice! The community can't thank you enough for organizing and managing this, which I can understand would put strain on anyone; let alone someone who genuinely cares about others and wants to make sure no one is left behind!

I also have towing coverage for my bikes through insurance, but I would still prefer the personal touch with the Roadside Crew! Always cool to be able to meet other BARFers!

EDIT: Not that I would abuse the service, and would get my own tow in my own case...

Last edited:
I also have towing coverage for my bikes through insurance, but I would still prefer the personal touch with the Roadside Crew! Always cool to be able to meet other BARFers!

QUOTE]

This!!! If you've ever experienced a tow truck driver who has little to no experience in strapping down a bike or even have the correct equipment to handle a bike it's pure torture watching them manhandle your baby. At least with the BARF tow service you know your bike is in good hands.

This!!! If you've ever experienced a tow truck driver who has little to no experience in strapping down a bike or even have the correct equipment to handle a bike it's pure torture watching them manhandle your baby. At least with the BARF tow service you know your bike is in good hands.

I got notification of a post in this thread, saw it was you, Emilio, and all I could think was "What?? No way!! He's got the worst luck with that bike!!" :laughing

Back