• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Mines and Mt Hamilton Roads: The Official Thread

ALCO is never going to clean up mines :laughing

And we shouldn't want them to, the second they do, it will no longer be the wildwest. :thumbup

Great. Looks like I'm officially black listed :)

Which browser did you use to file the ticket? I used FF and IE.

Chrome.

ALCO is never going to clean up mines :laughing

And we shouldn't want them to, the second they do, it will no longer be the wildwest. :thumbup

Yeah, I guess it will be weird not feel the tires sliding all the time! :rofl

Talked to two of the workers yesterday, they will start working on the second section in the upcoming days. The ETA is still 3-4 weeks.

Still haven't been on Mines and Mt hamilton... :burnout

Gonna have my bike ready to ride by next weekend if anyone wants to go. :twofinger

Sunday morning ride was great all the way from Livermore to Lick and back. Really not that much dirtier than normal and only in the 7-15 mile marker area.
I was more concerned with a few reduced sight lines due to new road side tree and brush growth. That and the deer and turkeys were every where, but that happens alot in the early hours. Angus was resting quietly on the correct side of the fence. Finally got to meet “Newbee”, ran into him up at Lick. I’ve seen him, usually going the other way, literally a hundred times. Nice guy, he and his bike are hard core moto! Some kinda Mopar muscle car thing goin’ on in the area. Must have seen 25+ cars in several groups on my way back near Del Valle.

Last edited:
ETA to complete the work is still the end of May. If goes as planned, repaving the road starts on 29th.

running of the bulls! Sort of..:laughing

Wow the bullies , and mooo cows.
Open pasture rules out there.

First trip down Mines in a long time. Had some old timers remind me just how slow I am while I was dodging bicycles.

Just ran it this morning (5/28). Was looking pretty good other than some spots with gravel. Keep your line of sight and you'll be food. Also keep an eye out for a snake roadkill. Guy slid out right as I was running by.

Last edited:
Totally loved the west side today. A lot of bicycles, but so many smiles!!! :ride

Did a two up with the wife, started in Livermore, lunch at the Junction (VERY good ! ) Then up to the Lick and down to catch 680 home...fun was had by all :ride :banana

Loved seeing all the ladybugs

Last edited:
Rode Mines out-and-back on Sunday. One of the best rides on Mines I have had! The timing could not have been better. I was heading south as the bicycle race was coming back north. Miles before I hit the Santa Clara County line, I had the road to myself. Uh-mazing. A quick bite at the Junction, then back north with, again, an open road :teeth Flow. So much flow. I was a waiving fool. Even the squid who ran wide and almost clipped me (i can only assume target fixation, the turn was more of a bend) could only generate a "meh". Miles of smiles!!

I just purchased a cheapy telephoto lens and I wanted to post up on Mines road to get some practice shots of bikers. Do you experienced folks have any recommendations on corners where I could post up and take some pictures? Preferably somewhere out of the way so that I wouldn't surprise / scare people.

I just purchased a cheapy telephoto lens and I wanted to post up on Mines road to get some practice shots of bikers. Do you experienced folks have any recommendations on corners where I could post up and take some pictures? Preferably somewhere out of the way so that I wouldn't surprise / scare people.

There's a couple spots where there's some hills right above the road, might make for a good vantage point. I see guys pull off right here sometimes. Good shoulder area and a nice little spot to post up at. Might be able to track some guys for a few turns.

There's a couple spots where there's some hills right above the road, might make for a good vantage point. I see guys pull off right here sometimes. Good shoulder area and a nice little spot to post up at. Might be able to track some guys for a few turns.

I concur, That is a good spot for photos.

Did Livermore, over Hamilton, and down to the valley of dull cubicles today. Amazing. Feels like I didn't spend more than a minute straight up and down. So. Many. Curves.

Back