• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Mines and Mt Hamilton Roads: The Official Thread

Welp.

Mt. Hamilton is fuxerod. Closed for a long, long long long time. :(

IMG_20170222_153503_zps1sypkagm.jpg

IMG_20170222_153611_zpsqriyzncn.jpg

Crazyiness! Where exactly is that section?

I would like to comment on the inefficient use of cones. I believe half as many would have sufficed. Thank you.

I would like to comment on the inefficient use of cones. I believe half as many would have sufficed. Thank you.

The carefully calculated and intricate placement of the numerous cones corresponds with Chapter 4 Section 3.73 of "Roadway Landslide Scene Securing", per Cal Trans

Is this on the San Jose side or the Livermore side?

SJ.
Mt Hamilton Road is only on the west side. The east side is San Antonio Valley Road to the Junction. Del Puerto goes to Patterson, Mines to Liverwurst.

The washout is past Grandview Restaurant where the road goes on the east side of the hill, before Grant Ranch and Quimby.

I'll check it out today. Bummer.

Any plans to go up Quimby and check out the rest of the road?
SJ.
Mt Hamilton Road is only on the west side. The east side is San Antonio Valley Road to the Junction. Del Puerto goes to Patterson, Mines to Liverwurst.

The washout is past Grandview Restaurant where the road goes on the east side of the hill, before Grant Ranch and Quimby.

I'll check it out today. Bummer.

Any plans to go up Quimby and check out the rest of the road?

Dirty 130, and it's wet too. I'll go dirtbike riding. you have fun, crazyman.

I just found this:
https://www.sccgov.org/sites/rda/Pages/roadclosures.aspx

San Antonio Valley Road (New) (EY) Section Closed:One lane operation 6.5 miles east of the domeReasons / Detours / Updates:
Roadway slip out
. Re-opening Date:Crews monitoring location. Engineering investigation necessary for repair alternatives.Last Modified:2/23/2017 9:10AMUpdated By:Jackson, Ron

Road Name:Mines Road (Update) (EY) Section Closed:One lane operation 4.5 miles north of San Antonio Valley Road.Reasons / Detours / Updates:
Culvert failure caused roadway pavement failure
Est. Re-opening Date:Materials ordered for culvert repair. Estimated completion is March 2017.Last Modified:2/22/2017 6:11PMUpdated By:Jackson, Ron

Good find!
I just found this:
https://www.sccgov.org/sites/rda/Pages/roadclosures.aspx

San Antonio Valley Road (New) (EY) Section Closed:One lane operation 6.5 miles east of the domeReasons / Detours / Updates:
Roadway slip out
. Re-opening Date:Crews monitoring location. Engineering investigation necessary for repair alternatives.Last Modified:2/23/2017 9:10AMUpdated By:Jackson, Ron

Road Name:Mines Road (Update) (EY) Section Closed:One lane operation 4.5 miles north of San Antonio Valley Road.Reasons / Detours / Updates:
Culvert failure caused roadway pavement failure
Est. Re-opening Date:Materials ordered for culvert repair. Estimated completion is March 2017.Last Modified:2/22/2017 6:11PMUpdated By:Jackson, Ron

I just rode up there a bit ago.
Wow. That is a substantial void of (Mt Hamilton) road. I rode around and past stuff on the Black Dream, but I wonder how long even that access is going to last. I better contact my county supervisor, Dave Cortese. It would be good if you guys contactacted yours about this vital roadway to the Junction, where there is a local business we want to support. Or something.

Last edited:
I just rode up there a bit ago.
Wow. That is a substantial void of road. I rode around and past stuff on the Black Dream, but I wonder how long even that access is going to last. I better contact my county supervisor, Dave Cortese. It would be good if you guys contactacted yours about this vital roadway to the Junction, where there is a local business we want to support. Or something.

Can confirm, rode up today from Livermore...was an absolute obstacle course!! Gravel and mud mid turn every where, fun to practice those supermoto sliding skills. The floodings from previous posts had gone down by a few inches but still present, I'd almost hydroplaned on one such crossings.:facepalm

Junction was closed today due to a "malfunctioning water pump"? At least that's what one of the many cyclists who tried to stop for water had told me.

Del Puerto Canyon was surprisingly in better condition than Mines...

Also rode it yesterday with a buddy.

Lots of gravel coming down from Livermore on the climb up in the middle of turns. Multiple mud slides past the 1 lane section, and sections of the road completely covered in mud and gravel. At least 3 active water crossings with 1-2" tall streams. Lots of sliding on my part.

Oh, and cold.

Rode Mt.Hami today via Quimby. Except for couple major slides, San Jose side is not that bad. Back side is also in okay shape given all the rain.

Rode Mt.Hami today via Quimby. Except for couple major slides, San Jose side is not that bad. Back side is also in okay shape given all the rain.

Amazing! Your usual 100 min. or less pace ?:wow

Hit Mines through Mt Hamilton Sunday. Had a lot of pavement to my party. Mt Hamilton road is easily passed by 2 wheels. And the light traffic make it a bonus. I don't think we passed more than 15 cars from Livermore to San Jose. The river is running and water falls abound! The junction was still shuttered from whatever hit them. Was one of the better rides close to home.

James

Mt.Hami is in ok shape so you can make up for the time lost on Mines.
Rode Mt.Hami to the Junction today. Same as last week. Road is still closed and they have not touch any of the main mud slides. Some fresh sand as you get close to the top. Back side still in good shape. Quimby also in good shape. Still dirt in the middle of few corners but in good shape.
Amazing! Your usual 100 min. or less pace ?:wow

Back