• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Mines and Mt Hamilton Roads: The Official Thread

gotta get on that working remote train...if they have wifi at the junction i could work from there...

do they have wifi at the junction?!

They do, you just have to ask real nice.
It helps when you go there often and buy lots of food and beer. :thumbup

trying to make sense of all the posts having never been up there - sounds pretty messy still / not sport bike friendly - is that the general gist of things up there right meow?

trying to make sense of all the posts having never been up there - sounds pretty messy still / not sport bike friendly - is that the general gist of things up there right meow?

i went up there sunday on an fz-09
we went from livermore to the junction and back. the road conditions weren't too bad. i had a friend on a ktm rc390 and he was fine.
there is a bit of dirt/gravel in a lot of the corners. it definitely gets worse after road marker 14 but most of the dirty spots are obvious.

i only slid like 3 corners.
just ride cautiously and a little slower than usual and you'll be fine.

Ah thanks - nice to see a fellow danvillian on here!

I rode it last week, it wasn't too bad. It's slowly returning to the normal state of Mines.
This weekends rain will coat the road in more dirt though :(

If you mean that you can't treat it as a race track, yeah. :rolleyes

Whether you're on the latest superbike, a dual sport, a big cruiser, or something else, you just have to go a bit slower in many of the corners. As long as you are capable of enjoying a ride where you're not dragging knees in the corners, you should be able to get about as much enjoyment out of the road on whatever bike you're riding. Personally, I enjoy the challenge of dealing with less than perfect traction in places. It makes me pay more attention to the road.

and...

Whether you're on the latest superbike, a dual sport, a big cruiser, or something else, you just have to go a bit slower in many of the corners. As long as you are capable of enjoying a ride where you're not dragging knees in the corners, you should be able to get about as much enjoyment out of the road on whatever bike you're riding. Personally, I enjoy the challenge of dealing with less than perfect traction in places. It makes me pay more attention to the road.

Having lunch at the junction.:thumbup:teeth

Absolutely. I don't drag knees on the street, shit I'm too slow to drag knees on the track too haha. Just sounded like people were mostly riding sumos up is all. I don't have the same suspension travel on the tuono. I don't need to race everywhere but I don't want to navigate a superbike through mud either.

It's fun on any bike if you're not an idiot. :party

Absolutely. I don't drag knees on the street, shit I'm too slow to drag knees on the track too haha. Just sounded like people were mostly riding sumos up is all. I don't have the same suspension travel on the tuono. I don't need to race everywhere but I don't want to navigate a superbike through mud either.

You'll be fine:thumbup

Anyone ventured all the way up to Mt. Hammie lately?...

If so, how's it look?...

If you don't mind washing/cleaning bike, don't worry about it. Just notch it down a click or two when new to the road, & you'll have a blast. It's one of those fun, but challenging roads. A few rides & you'll learn the places where you gotta go slow as it is long. I liked using the buddy/group system just in case...

Get to "The Junction" just before noon for no wait f/food. :cool

I've always loved it mainly due to lack of traffic/leo's. There will be at least 2 water crossings on Mines/every year until mid/late summer. Figure on at least a cleaning/or wash after riding it during wet season. No biggie; but big smiles!

:thumbup :ride

Road conditions were good today!
Had to get one more run in before the rains this weekend.
The washout section isn't looking good... It has eroded more since the last picture posted.

IMG_20170405_162631_zpsmmrcriom.jpg

I rode up mines, down and up del Puerto, Down the front on Saturday. Landslide forces you down quimby road. Watch out if you like to carry a good pace. But it'll change after this weekend I'm sure

Anyone ventured all the way up to Mt. Hammie lately?...

If so, how's it look?...

From San Jose, you can get up via Quimby. It is steeper, tighter and more narrow that 130/ Mount Hamilton road. It joins above the wooded area that follows right after Hill View Restaurant.

The rest of 130 is mostly OK. Some dirty spots. Some repairs. Nothing significantly more treacherous than normal.

Attachments

• 17632019_10155809432284237_5155778485339950997_o~2.jpg
    17632019_10155809432284237_5155778485339950997_o~2.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 56
From San Jose, you can get up via Quimby. It is steeper, tighter and more narrow that 130/ Mount Hamilton road. It joins above the wooded area that follows right after Hill View Restaurant.

The rest of 130 is mostly OK. Some dirty spots. Some repairs. Nothing significantly more treacherous than normal.

Good to know! Thanks!!!

Rode up Mines passed Hamilton today, the water actually washed away many of the sand "traps" from before!:twofinger

Got to the Junction, a rare day where I was the only patron for a late lunch:wow
IMG_3370_zpsopompkt3.jpg

Finally got a chance to put the "Stockton 99" sticker on the freezer door, Mini-Moto represent!
IMG_3368_zpsbxqg9ezz.jpg

I've heard it but never seen it myself until today, snow on Mt. Hamilton:wow:wow
IMG_3375_zpsvzxi3tag.jpg

IMG_3373_zps4umd4anc.jpg

Mah phone ran out of battery 100 ft from the observatory, super bummed no more photos:x

Quimby on the way dowe was "torn up" with mud slides everywhere, that plus the sharp turn equals to:thumbdown times

Back